• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will replace your N1?

Still love the N1, but I'm looking forward to a phone with ICS, with regular updates. The N1 will likely get it, through a custom ROM but then it may or not be a stable "everyday" phone for a while. Once I have a new primary phone I will probably make the jump to a custom ICS ROM.

So I've been following this thread for a while to see what I'll replace the N1 with. I generally buy phones outright, but don't see myself dropping the cash on the Galaxy Nexus, so I'm considering buying a Nexus S since I prefer vanilla Android.

We know it will get ICS a "few weeks" after the US release, but it's going to drop off the support list sooner than later so that might not last longer than a year.

It looks like you can still get new ones online for $275-$300-ish. I'm on T-Mobile in the US, so I'd be getting the i9020T version.

I want the nicer screen and front facing camera. I prefer phones on the smaller side. I don't put a ton of music etc on the phone so space isn't a big concern since most new phones have lots more than the N1.

Any thoughts on the Nexus S? Is there a better alternative in the same price range?

Upvote 0
Got a Samsung Nexus Prime, 4.0.1, bye guys!!!

It's like the NS with a better screen and cpu ...bleah ! The lastest and greatest Nexus is very disappointing ! Still have the Nexus One and the Nexus S ,but i'll gladly go for a SGS III or whatever it will come out next year ,as for latest updates ... LONG LIVE CUSTOM ROMs !

stockphotopro_507871LRU_no_title.jpg
Google !!

Upvote 0
I took the plunge and switched to Verizon from T-Mobile and got the Galaxy Nexus. Was very unhappy with T-Mobile. Had been missing phone calls, people calling me going straight into voice mail. I love the Prime. It is worthy of replacing my N1. ICS is a vast improvement. Plus, my N1 was starting to go. Sometimes my power button would not wake the phone. But like I said, I like this phone and so far Verizon's phone service is flawless.

Upvote 0
I am moving on (in about 2 weeks) to a Galaxy Player 5. My Nexus One,which has always been a Gophone (my situation is weird--I spend 9 hours a day working in a building with no cellular or wifi so a contract is just senseless), will become a dedicated phone and PAYG hotspot if I really desperately need to do something with the internet when there is no wifi available (which will be rarely).

Thanks to everyone here who has given me so much help these past 2 years. I'll still be poking in from time to time.

Upvote 0
Galaxy Nexus seems the best choice, though for a couple of days I was kind of excited about the Galaxy Note, but the Nexus seems a better call. I've had the Nexus One from the get-go, when google first started selling them, and when my t-mobile contract--finally!--ran out, I started looking around. I switched to Verizon, since they had the Nexus, but their reception on the hill I live on, was as bad as t-mobile.

I've fought and disliked the incessant advertising of AT&T forever, but their towers seem to reach me better, so I canceled my Verizon subscription, returned the Nexus, and went to AT&T GoPhone on a month to month, and found out that for $30 less a month--around $55--I get unlimited calls and they don't yet treat this as a smart phone, so until that day, I'll continue with AT&T, then buy an unlocked Nexus, and probably continue gophone, see what I can work out....

Upvote 0
My N1 has started "bricking" at odd intervals, usually when I'm trying to place or answer a call. I love my phone, but it's slowly convincing me it's time for a change.

Here's the funny thing, though - I'm perfectly happy at this level of technology. Gingerbread is more than enough for what I use the phone for. I use the trackball enough to miss it when it's gone; I have some limited time using a Droid X (work phone) and I did not like its interface, or the lack of a tactile input device like the trackball. Also, my Nexus One smoothly interfaces with the SYNC system in my Escape - not all Android phones do.

I think my choices are to take a chance on a new phone (I'm on T-Mobile, and most of their upgrade devices are Samsung - which I probably wouldn't mind so much, as I love my Galaxy Tab 10.1) or, oddly enough, buy a new Nexus One off Amazon. What would you do?

Upvote 0
My N1 has started "bricking" at odd intervals, usually when I'm trying to place or answer a call. I love my phone, but it's slowly convincing me it's time for a change.

Here's the funny thing, though - I'm perfectly happy at this level of technology. Gingerbread is more than enough for what I use the phone for. I use the trackball enough to miss it when it's gone; I have some limited time using a Droid X (work phone) and I did not like its interface, or the lack of a tactile input device like the trackball. Also, my Nexus One smoothly interfaces with the SYNC system in my Escape - not all Android phones do.

I think my choices are to take a chance on a new phone (I'm on T-Mobile, and most of their upgrade devices are Samsung - which I probably wouldn't mind so much, as I love my Galaxy Tab 10.1) or, oddly enough, buy a new Nexus One off Amazon. What would you do?

Well it's all really a matter of personal taste isn't it. I simply love my N1 for it's size and I'm still more then happy with its performance compared to the top tier smartphones right now.
It's also sturdy as hell. I never used a case for it in the 2 years I had it and dropped it for the hundredth time recently.... and my screen finally cracked.
So I'm left with a choice as well.
But given the size of most new smartphones, and no giant leaps in the shortcomings of the N1 (mainly battery life), I think I'll be going with the "buy a $30 digitizer from ebay and repair it" option :)
I'd change my phone if there's actually a smartphone that'll last for over 2 days in use and is about 3.7 inch big.

For all my minor gripes, I have an unused slightly higher capacity battery which I'll be putting to use soon (I think the stock battery has run it's course). The occasional touch recognition glitch I will endure, it's still fixed with turning my screen on and off. And I just bought a brand new sandisk ultra mSD 32GB card for

Reactions: flightwriter
Upvote 0
After all that, and returning the nexus galaxy, I was surprisingly happy back with my nexus one, on a month to month account with AT&T. Even though I pay monthly for a data package--5 dollars a month, for the smallest, 10mg package--ATT still does not recognize it as a 'smartphone' so in essence I"m saving about 35 dollars a month from the 89 dollar a month tmobile account that I had to get to obtain the nexus one, so I'm pretty content with the deal...

The downside is that I only get 'Edge' not 3G, and sometimes it's a pain, like when I'm using IHeart wandering around, but for that price savings, I don't mind....

I'd still like to get a galaxy Nexus, I was looking at one again in Frys, but it's around seven hundred dollars unlocked, so I'll stick with Nexus O..ne and ATT for the time being: it's a good solid little phone and whatever quirks it has I'm well used to now...picks up my wifi great, works fine as a wifi hub, and again: ATT sees it as a 'non' smartphone.

Upvote 0
I'm finding it now @ $515 US via google shopping, and that's from a US source, so the price is getting more reasonable.

Space is killing me, along with that nice feature where sync stops if the low storage warning is up. And I'm rooted and using the Oxygen ROM, which is super small.

My wife will shortly get this one, and I'll sell her stock N1 to help defray the cost of the Galaxy Nexus. N1's appear to still be fetching up to $175 on Ebay, so it's retained some value for us.

N1 is the best phone I've ever had .. but the space means its usable time for me is running out.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've a feeling I'll be getting the Galaxy Nexus soon enough, but since the Nexus One is still doing so well, and is saving me money on my month to month now the dreaded 'forced' contract with tmobile is over, I'll probably delay a while.

The N1 was such a gamechanger for me. Hard to believe, but just 3 years ago, very few people I knew had a smartphone, and if they did, it was an Apple Iphone. When google came out with the N1s I just had to have one, and when it arrived in the mail, it was the goolest thing I"d ever seen, and well worth the added cost.

But since then, android phones have taken off, and google is a bit tarnished in my eye, mostly do to little things like having forced apps like google-instant and autocomplete and a few other obnoxious items so I know longer love google like I used to.

But in any case, probably use N1 another few months or so....

Upvote 0
Space is killing me, along with that nice feature where sync stops if the low storage warning is up. And I'm rooted and using the Oxygen ROM, which is super small.
I hear that! I rooted and removed some of the bloatware apps that I never used, and I STILL have space issues - not to the point of gmail no longer synchronizing, but to the point where I can't download some larger apps because an app is always downloaded and unpacked on the phone storage and only after that it is installed on the SD card. The lack of space is slowly making the phone unusable, as apps are growing in size. I will hold on to my N1 for as long as I can, but if there is one thing that was just plan STUPID about it, it's the internal space issue.

Yes, I've a feeling I'll be getting the Galaxy Nexus soon enough, but since the Nexus One is still doing so well, and is saving me money on my month to month now the dreaded 'forced' contract with tmobile is over, I'll probably delay a while.
Why not just get a phone without a contract then?

Hard to believe, but just 3 years ago, very few people I knew had a smartphone, and if they did, it was an Apple Iphone. When google came out with the N1s I just had to have one, and when it arrived in the mail, it was the goolest thing I"d ever seen, and well worth the added cost.
(my emphasis)
The thing is though, the N1 was not "added cost" when compared to an iPhone. iPhones have always been more expensive than more powerful Android counterparts. People pay a premium just because it's iSomething. You can't spell sh*t without an "i", you know...

Upvote 0

Update - I performed a hard reset on the phone as suggested, and it did seem to run a bit more smoothly after that. However, within three days it began "bricking" again, so I decided that was enough for the Nexus One. I now have a Galaxy S2 and, so far, I've been very impressed with it.

Still miss the trackball, though!

Upvote 0
Update - I performed a hard reset on the phone as suggested, and it did seem to run a bit more smoothly after that. However, within three days it began "bricking" again, so I decided that was enough for the Nexus One. I now have a Galaxy S2 and, so far, I've been very impressed with it.

Still miss the trackball, though!

What you are talking about is because of the ROM ...stock "stinks" ,root it ,cause i do not think you will mind losing the warranty [in case you still got one] and install OXYGEN rom ,the fastest and coolest i've tested on my N1 ...the N1 is not to be left aside ,the rom makes all the difference !!!!

Upvote 0
Have been tracking the HTC One XL now for a month and it looks like a winner. My contract and pay cycle end the 26th of this month and the timing looks good. The rest of my clan (5) have the iPhone but my Nexus One was my first android. Now the HTC One XL will continue that tradition.

That being said, I am a dedicated MacBook Pro advocate for computing and photography... but for wireless, love the open system and android format.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones