• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What's this "MTP-Connected" stuff

(G)

Android Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Minnetonka, MN
www.gleone.com
I plugged my wife's new S2 into the computer tonight for the first time and got a notification on the phone, "MTP-connected." Her phone then opened a window on the computer (Win XP) showing me folders for "phone" and "card."

I understand what I'm seeing, but I don't get that on my month-old S2 at all. Instead I get the classic "USB connected" and the button to switch to external storage.

We both have the same exact specs in the "about phone" section.

Anyone know the big advantage of the MTP thing? And why wouldn't mine have it?

my understanding is there are two ways to connect the phone to your computer via usb. one is using the windows drivers (mtp, etc.) and then there's a mass storage mode which can get activated on your phone. It seems like your wifes phone is using the windows drivers and you are using "usb mass storage mode". usb mass storage is faster and more reliable in my experience.

Reactions: SGS2
Upvote 0
my understanding is there are two ways to connect the phone to your computer via usb. one is using the windows drivers (mtp, etc.) and then there's a mass storage mode which can get activated on your phone. It seems like your wifes phone is using the windows drivers and you are using "usb mass storage mode". usb mass storage is faster and more reliable in my experience.

How do you change from mtp to usb??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones