• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where to find hotspot usage data?

chong67

Android Expert
Apr 5, 2011
Atlanta
You log into T-Mobile website and there is no information on hotspot data usage.

I call one of the rep and he got it confused with phone data usage vs hotspot. He doesn't know either.

I install T-Mobile app and it has been 0GB on my hotspot for many days now.

Do you have any idea where to find my hotspot usage?

If you use any it'll show up there

Account Info -> Detailed Usage
qe5y6ede.jpg

Upvote 0
android tablet with a different browser will get blocked ie firefox. my note 10.1 tablet browses fine with default samsung browser. i installed firefox there because i am used to use it for all devices. whenever i launch it it gets redirected to t-mobile upsale page for tethering.
i think the data is taken from the browser what os > what browser in this sequence for identification purposes. if it passes the os check, it goes for browser check. when that passes as mobile browser, you get access to tethering. thats why we use a user agent switcher to mimic a mobile device and mobile browser. my tablet passes the os check but fails on the browser test with firefox.
for some reason linux os totally flummoxes this identification process and stops the browser check. that why i can use my widows laptop using a useragent string for firefox that pretends to be a linux machine using firefox with no problem. the advantage of this is that i get to use a real browser without the limitation of mobile one.

Reactions: DirtyDee
Upvote 0
Somebody answer me this below:

Typically tmo gets tethering/hotspot data in two ways:

1) your phone's Hotspot/Tethering app snitches your usage to t-mobile (custom Roms/hacks/alternative apps available to bypass this)
2) t-mobile sniffs your useragent and flags data with a desktop browser useragent. your android tablet won't be a problem here unless you explicitly set to use a desktop browser

Upvote 0
So I went and did a quick test. I use my Windows laptop to do a few download and sure enough, my phone hotspot is now 0.1MB used.

Using it on your Android tablet its free apparently!

I have no complaints. Tell everyone T-mobile is cool!

My tablet counts against my tethering allowance. Used up 2.5gb just watching the Superbowl at work in February. Yes, it is an Android.

Upvote 0
I asked 2 different reps from T Mobile how to find my hotspot usage & they told me there's no way for me or them to know how much I've used. I find that difficult to believe. SOMEONE can view my usage if I'm limited to 3 GB/month! The first rep told me I'll get a warning message when I'm getting close to my limit. That's no help.
I was using hotspot on my S4 last night with my Windows laptop & kept getting kicked off. I wondered if it was bec I reached my hotspot limit but nobody seems to know.

Upvote 0
I asked 2 different reps from T Mobile how to find my hotspot usage & they told me there's no way for me or them to know how much I've used. I find that difficult to believe. SOMEONE can view my usage if I'm limited to 3 GB/month! The first rep told me I'll get a warning message when I'm getting close to my limit. That's no help.
I was using hotspot on my S4 last night with my Windows laptop & kept getting kicked off. I wondered if it was bec I reached my hotspot limit but nobody seems to know.
Post paid or prepaid?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones