• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Whoa...Annoying beep coming from phone??

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011
NH
My phone was sitting on the table here just doing nothing and belted out a succession of annoying beeps, 2 or 3 in succession and about 10x louder than any notification sound that would ever come out of the phone. Whatever the sound was its not selectable and i have no notifications coming in...It did it about 2 or 3 times within the last 3 minutes so i rebooted it.

Anyone else have this happen? wtf is it???

My phone was sitting on the table here just doing nothing and belted out a succession of annoying beeps, 2 or 3 in succession and about 10x louder than any notification sound that would ever come out of the phone. Whatever the sound was its not selectable and i have no notifications coming in...It did it about 2 or 3 times within the last 3 minutes so i rebooted it.

This is a new one on me. Beeping? :thinking:

The only thing I can think to do is check Running Services in Settings when it beeps to see if there might be some app set to beep when some yet-unknown event occurs. After you've done that, get back to us and let us know what you found.

Um...Your Hotpocket is done?

:D :p

Upvote 0
I updated my Galaxy S II X to Ice Cream Sandwich through Kies Desktop software a few days ago and this stupid LOUD beeping has interrupted conversations, woken me up at night, and embarrassed me in meetings!

It comes up like twice to three times a day at random times. It beeps twice for about 10 consecutive times and then stops. It uses the loud-speaker to emit the sound, even if I'm on a call using the regular small speaker.

I checked for open applications while the sound is being emitted, closed them all, but the damn thing keeps beeping/ringing in the most annoying sound that has ever come out of my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Longshot here but do you guys have Lookout installed? I updated my Lookout App a couple days ago and it started randomly trying to locate my phone with no request on my end. I was just thinking that it also has an option to make a loud beep in order to locate a missing phone. Again, it's a total shoot from the hip idea. I had to logon to "my lookout" via PC and stop it there, it was constantly trying to find my phone and killing my battery.

Upvote 0
Yes, yes, yes. My phone has done this, sporadically for the past two months or so. Often when it is doing/changing something, like opening an app, answering a call, pulling up the keypad screen, or ANYTHING that is any kind of action. Happens probably five times in a hundred, so it's totally random. Never the same action causes it but it's a high pitched chirp that a pretty deaf person could hear, and causes everyone to flinch and ask, "What the heck was THAT?". Kind of embarrassing and I have no idea what it is. Nothing like the suggested problems ... I've ruled those out. Glad it's not just me (for my sanity purposes, not that I'm glad you have the same problem).

Pretty annoying and I'd love to find a fix for it. Removing/replacing the battery doesn't make any difference at all. It's like a little electrical short or something...

Upvote 0

i experienced the same problem then i figured out i just had to turn of the NFC. swipe down the status bar then click the icon beside the settings. there you will see the NFC.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
This just happened to me last night (or should I say this morning) at 3 a.m. My phone was beeping this very high-pitched beep 3 times, pause, then another beep three times. Woke me up out of a dead sleep! I thought it was the smoke alarm...that's what it sounded like. I followed the sound to my phone, and like many others have said, I had no notifications, e-mails, messages or alerts coming in...nothing. I thought about an Amber Alert but there wasn't any. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep after that. I did turn off the NFC as Shockwave78 suggested in their post. What is the NFC anyway?

Upvote 0
This happens often with my Note 8. Usually there is some brief static followed by three beeps in quick succession. The first beep starts before the burst of static really ends, as if it's not supposed to be happening. There is no consistent frequency or time of day. Sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks. I think the screen may wake up but there is nothing shown on the UI to indicate the meaning of the alert. It's basically impossible to capture since it is so random. Very annoying. Would be nice if there was an alert log file to look at or something like that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones