• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why can't my computer see ALL the files on the phone and SD card?

(G)

Android Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Minnetonka, MN
www.gleone.com
When I plug the Turbo2 into the computer and look at both the SD card and the phone itself, I don't see anywhere near the number of files I can see by using a File Manager on the phone itself.

When I had a Galaxy 4, I COULD see all those files.

I like backing my phone and SD card up to folders on my computer, but I can't do it when I can't see them. And I can't on the Turbo 2.

Anyone know why? Or how a good workaround?

Rewording your question isn't really going to change much but I'll try to reword some of what you were told but in my own works ( hopefully not too techy )

The Turbo 2 is a locked phone and hasn't been rooted... so access to the root folders ( ie stuff in the / folder and below ) is limited to the user. You have full access to the internal storage ( an emulated folder which gives you full access to the remaining built in storage on the device ) and full access to the SD card... that is all. You should have full access to the SD card as long as it was properly formatted to start with... so unless you messed it up, that part of your question is that you already have full access to the SD card.

To access the areas you can get into from a PC... connect it to the PC with a data capable USB cable and make certain the phone is setup to share files using MTP mode. These are labeled as the Internal and SD card areas.

You can not get full access to the rest of the phone storage areas so you won't be able to completely back up the rest of the phone. Until there is a method to root... this will always be like this until that time ( if ever ). This is done to help avoid novice users messing with stuff in the critical system areas that could result in the phone not working properly or even possibly bricking the phone completely.

Upvote 0
Rewording your question isn't really going to change much but I'll try to reword some of what you were told but in my own works ( hopefully not too techy )

And I apologize for that. I honestly forgot that I'd already asked this question...I kept thinking I was going to ask the question but still hadn't done so.

But I do appreciate your taking the time to answer (again). Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones