• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI disconnect while sleeping

Hi

I've been having this extremely annoying condition too, since the last software update.

I came to the conclusion that it was some kind of aggressive power management setting that was putting all kinds of apps to sleep.

Today.... I think I might have found a solution... I say might, as it's only been a few hours..

So I've done is this..

Go to settings.

Search for "Battery"

Click on the three menu dots in the top right hand corner.

Click on "Advanced Settings"

Turn off "App Power Monitor"

So far, so good.

My WiFi stays connected and the 2 VoIP apps and Text-to-voice app are alive and well.

Curiously, my battery drain doesn't seem affected.

I'd be interested to know if this solution works for other people.

Good luck.
So far, so good. This has worked for me for more than an hour.

Upvote 0
Didn't help my issue. I thought it was just my phone or my Wi-Fi, but my smart tv has no issues keeping a connection. I reset power settings and have keep Wi-Fi connection while sleeping yet still issues. More annoying than anything. It happens on other Wi-Fi networks also. My phone has been dropped more than I can count. Yes it's in a case but just weird that this has only been an issue since update a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0
Yes it's in a case but just weird that this has only been an issue since update a few weeks ago.

Was the update from Android 6 (Marshmallow) to 7 (Nougat)> or was it just a security patch? If the former, it's always a good idea to do a factory reset after a major version upgrade (after backing up everything).

Upvote 0
Was the update from Android 6 (Marshmallow) to 7 (Nougat)> or was it just a security patch? If the former, it's always a good idea to do a factory reset after a major version upgrade (after backing up everything).

It updated to Nougat back in July. Than twice in September early October it did more software updates. It was the one done about 2 weeks ago. All my photos are backed up to Google so I might as well reset because it's irking me..lol

Upvote 0
I was experiencing that exact same symptom about a week ago but then for a different issue I did a master reset..now I don't see it happening any more..i don't think is an update that caused it because I haven't done any up date..i don't do updates..I'm still in 5.0..

Am I hitting it by the right angle??

I'm still having issue. After reset and losing everything. Cox says it isn't my Wi-Fi since my smart tv and laptop have no issues. In the world of cellphones mine is a little old. Have had it close to year and a half. It's more annoying than anything since I buy the 10 gig pre paid card and never go over.

Upvote 0
I own cheap Irbis TZ55 tablet with android 5.1 and same problem happens there. I'm not the only one, googling reveals many ppl experience similar issue.
So, I'd like to share my technical investigation what exactly happens in my case and how I solved it.
This is not something that can be done by regular user but may be someone find it helpful.

I found exact scenario when it happens. After device goes to sleep it remains connected until for some reason disconnection happens. For example, AP disappears for a short period of time or device cant reassociate with the AP. Then it remains disconnected until someone presses power button and wakes the device. After that devices performs scan and wifi reconnects.

In android wpa_supplicant is responsible for wifi client functions. When user enables wifi android starts wpa_supplicant and uses control command socket to issue commands to it. It sets up basic parameters and passes wifi network configuration, it also triggers network scan and receives list of networks.
I did logcat and watched what android sends to wpa_supplicant via control socket.
One suspicious command was "STA_AUTOCONNECT 0". I killed wpa_supplicant, renamed binary so android couldn't restart it, started it manually. Then I reissued all the commands in "wpa_cli". I confirmed that without "STA_AUTOCONNECT 0" reconnection happens automatically. With it wpa_supplicant does not scan without explicit command. Android does not send scan command while in sleep mode.
So, I had to take NDK, hostap source code, comment one line of code to ignore STA_AUTOCONNECT. With some efforts managed to compile it. Replaced original binary, restored chmod and selinux context. And it worked. Now tablet always autoreconnects.
So, my conclusion it can be "feature" of android aimed to save as much power as possible. But it should be some settings to prevent this behaviour. In android 5.1 it cant be changed in UI unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with a different phone on Oreo 8.1. Wasted 2 days already disabling doze "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable", changing any power settings I could find, changing kernels and gapps, lock screen settings, sleep setting, wifi stuff. So far no success. Ridiculous. F**** google wtf are you doing? The one thing a phone must be is take calls when being called. None of my messenger or VOIP apps work any more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones