• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

So far NAY,internet connectivity issues.I've tried WI-FI,wired connection & two different mobile USB/wireless tethering connections.
I'm not seeing the option to sign-in/connect to any of 'em.
Waiting patiently on-hold w/Microsoft support.
In the meantime,any suggestions are welcome.
PM if you wish.....
THX.:)

Upvote 0
So far no issues yet, Everything works. The only issue is that the recovery is for Windows 7 I had Windows 8.1 on my laptop how can I recover to 8.1?

If you download the disc image (.ISO file) for whichever windows OS you have, and burn it to a dvd, you can boot from the DVD and access recovery tools/reinstall that way.

Worth noting that if you reinstall that way, you get a generic windows install, without preloaded software/drivers/bloatware that your laptop came with when purchased. So not exactly the same as the recovery partition. Also you'd need to take note of your windows product key before hand, as the disc couldn't tell you it.

Upvote 0
For folks that primarily use Linux and have windows in dual boot, you can upgrade without any worries of loosing grub menu. During the upgrade windows will reboot about 4 times. You must pay attention so that you select windows from the grub menu each time it reboots or you may fudge up the upgrade.

I recommend downloading the win 10 iso and burning it to dvd or thumb drive (I used dvd and ran it from the desktop). If you're like me and rarely use windows and as a result don't get to install updates, with the iso method you can upgrade without updating windows 8.1 first. During the upgrade process I also chose not to install updates to speed things up lol (you can update once you're on win 10). Upgrade took about 30-40 minutes, not bad.

For those on windows 8.1 with "stardock start8" start menu, it seems you're not missing out on much aside from cortana.

Upvote 0
Come on Microsoft where's my Windows 10, I've been sat in front of this laptop waiting for two days now.

update.jpg

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
Is if failing or just stopping the install?
In any case,I would use CCleaner/Registry and do a clean up,Then restart your computer and try again.
You can also use an Windows 10 ISO and upgrade with that(Not a clean install,Unless you want to do a clean install)
Following the first reboot it gets to 35%, sits for about 30 minutes and powers down. When I power it back up it initiates a rollback to my previous setup. Tried both update and iso on a stick. I'll give CCleaner a try tonight if I have a chance.

Upvote 0
I jumped on the upgrade as soon as it was available - even before the midnight "release" since I'm an impatient nerd. So far, I love it. A lot of the menus and animations feel very Materialish to me. It looks mostly great, and most everything is smooth and fluid. And I have a start menu again without resorting to any hacks.

I still have to figure out what's going on with my Bluetooth (or, more specifically, the magical way in which the computer refuses to see any Bluetooth devices), but that's the only lingering problem I have from the in-place forced upgrade.

Did you like Windows 8?

Upvote 0
Did you like Windows 8?

I liked everything about it except for the user interface. ;)

8 (and 8.1) brought a lot of under-the-hood changes that I did really appreciate. They just then wrapped it in an utterly useless UI.

WinTin brings back a UI that makes sense on a non-touchscreen and another handful of useful tweaks and features.

I've installed W10 on partition adjacent to my existing W7HP. Can't quite figure out if it's different/better enough to ditch the dual boot concept and actually upgrade atop my W7. But meanwhile, I can't seem to activate the separate W10... maybe as an 'insider' they'll email me one.

(Originally discussed at Countdown to Windows 10...)
Yeah, you'll only be able to activate if it's first installed as an upgrade.

Reactions: Xyro and palmtree5
Upvote 0
I've been using it since I got it this morning. I had immediate wifi connectivity issues that resulted in a reboot of my router after several disconnects - has been fine since.

Seems smooth, nice. I didn't mind 8.x on this Surface, I liked it, so... *shrug*. I like this too so far. It's an adjustment to get used to but that's expected. I haven't dug into it, haven't even tried out the new browser - too much going on today. Looking forward to it though.

Upvote 0
I've been using it since I got it this morning. I had immediate wifi connectivity issues that resulted in a reboot of my router after several disconnects - has been fine since.

Seems smooth, nice. I didn't mind 8.x on this Surface, I liked it, so... *shrug*. I like this too so far. It's an adjustment to get used to but that's expected. I haven't dug into it, haven't even tried out the new browser - too much going on today. Looking forward to it though.

Just realized there was a firmware update waiting. Installed and rebooted. Unsure if related to wifi issues, no details were given.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones