• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't charge or turn on!!

CJShines

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Hi, my EVO Shift won't charge or turn on after I tried to charging it last night. The battery was nearly dying last night, but I had to leave to go somewhere so I went two hours without charging it and now it won't even charge or turn back on. Last night, there was a blinking light on the phone, which I had never seen before. I put it on a wall charger and let it charge overnight. The blinking light is gone, but the phone won't even charge or turn on now.

I've tried reinserting the battery, but that doesn't work. This is probably the third or fourth time I've had an issue with this phone and it's really frustrating. Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

It could be a few things:

1. The battery
2. The charging cable
3. The USB charging port (common issue)

Since you don't have a spare battery or spare charger, it's hard to troubleshoot the issue.
Try putting the battery in the freezer (not the whole phone, just the battery) for a few minutes and then take the battery out of the freezer and put it back in the phone and try again.

Upvote 0
No luck. This is very strange. Nothing like this has happened before. Could it possibly be the charger? I'm not using the charger that came with the phone (it broke); it's one that can only be plugged into an outlet.

Yes, it could be the charger. Or the USB port. Without another charger to test , there is really no way to tell.

The HTC EVO Shift and the HTC EVO 4G had many issues with the USB port and the "official" charging cable (as you said yours broke).

Upvote 0
I have this phone as well. I took it to the service store to have them look at it since it was not holding a charge. This is a replacement phone from the original one I had. The phone and battery are only 3 months old. The tech said that there was nothing wrong with it. They ran a diagnostic test on both the phone and battery and nothing showed up wrong. I bought a new outlet charger Saturday. Saturday night at 11PM it was at 54%, I turned the phone off completely to charge. At 7:18AM it was at 39%, at 7:19 it was at 38%, at 12:31PM it was at 28%, at 12:58PM, it was at 25%, at 6:23PM it was at 1% and then it turned itself off. I had took pictures to show the tech that even with a brand new cord and it being plugged up, it was still not charging. The store manager told me that they would re-test it, but if nothing came up wrong for them, they would not do anything about it, even though I have insurance with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones