• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't turn on, refuses to charge

stofvod

Lurker
Mar 23, 2011
Hi everyone!

I bought this phone 2,5 months ago, worked fine and now, today all of a sudden, it dropped dead. I've tried to charge it, the LED won't flash, I've tried the USB charger, the computer won't recognise it. I've tried the factory reset
(Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button "[...]" VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.)
It did not work. I've checked multiple forums, the problem seems to occur more often, but no solution yet? It is possible that the problem is that you can't take the battery out?

Please help me, I loved this phone so much
Thanks.

Reactions: BufordStick
I am having a similar problem but eventually the phone turned back on. The factory reset you tried didn't work for me either while it appeared "dead" nor did I get a light when I plugged it in the charger. I contacted HTC customer service. They gave me their usual pitch ranging from testing it in safe mode, adding apps back one at a time to maybe find the issue and then maybe try a factory reset to see if that works... I realize that your phone hasn't turned back on yet so these are not an option.

Personally I've had it with the HTC CS and this phone. It's my 2nd one, they both had issues, CS was never able to help with any problems I asked for help with... I told them this was the last straw. They didn't seem to care or offer me anything to keep a new customer... It's not worth much on a trade-in and I won't sell it to someone knowing its issues...

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

I wanted to post here because I had this exact same problem this weekend. Phone alarm got me up Saturday morning, I hit snooze, wake up 30 minutes later and phone is dead. Literally nothing, no LED when charger plugged in, no response to power button or hard factory reset using vol/power buttons. The phone remained in this condition for most of the day, but I kept it with me in case it decided to turn back on. At one point (maybe 5-6 hours after the initial problem) I try to power button again and get the LED to light up red, but phone does not power on, LED shuts off again after about 1 min.

Perhaps 3 hours later I still have it in my pocket and I feel it vibrate. Goes through a lengthy startup and and appears to be working for about 1-2 minutes and then locks up on me (screen doesn't respond to touch), says battery is dead, then powers off, again appearing insensitive to power/vol buttons.

It's dead for the rest of the night, but when I come home I put it on the charger anyway and I get a green LED, which usually indicates it's charged. Phone still doesn't turn on though.

Sunday comes around and the phone is basically dead all day, no random start ups and no LED signals. Having already contacted HTC I'm planning on sending it in on Monday.

Monday morning rolls around, phone still dead, getting ready for work and feel it vib/turn on again in my pocket. Same situation, says 0% battery briefly then shuts off. I go into work and it turns on AGAIN randomly, seemingly without any provocation from pushing the power button.

About 30 mins later it turns on one more time and I quickly throw it on the charger. It says it's charging! I leave my desk for a few hours to go teach and come back to another dead phone.

Finally I try pushing power and doing the factory reset, however I think it was just pushing the power button and there was a delay, because phone turns on. Starts up like normal, and functions properly for maybe 1 hour. Says I have a full battery charge and everything. Then the screen locks up again and goes dim, as if it were idle or something. Eventually screen turns off and is again unresponsive to power button. I don't really know what to do, as it appears to be getting better but certainly isn't functioning properly.

The lack of reliability in this thing is staggering to me. The phone is sweet and I got it for $50 on sale at radio shack but I certainly wouldn't tolerate this kind of performance from ANY kind of electronic device, especially one that retails at what this one does normally.

Really sorry for this huge post but I wanted to divulge the full details in case anyone is having similar issues.

Upvote 0
Interesting Post cbh99. Finally someone post a problem on this website about the HTC One V. Someone who hasn't rooted the phone. I was beginning to feel like I'm the only one that has this phone (not rooted, the way it came) compared to the Optimus V that I previously owned.

Anyway, to get to my comment about your post, I've noticed over the last couple of days my battery is going down fast? I wonder if there was some kind of software change that was pushed to all phones? Or do they even do that? It will charge, but seems to be draining fast the last couple of days.

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't have this information filled in earlier. My phone is an HTC one v, straight out of the box but with a Sandisk 32GB HC MiniSD. I have no idea what 'rooting' actually is so my phone isn't.

So just to fill anyone in on the last 24 hours. My phone now has *knocks wood* decided to seemingly work properly again. I finally got it to turn on long enough to do a factory reset, which seems to have helped. However, I did make a 15 minute call (the second call I made after doing the factory reset) and once I pushed end it said no battery and turned off again. However, this time it was responsive to me pushing the power button and came back alive, indicating a nearly full battery, weird. Since then, I have been working on reinstalling apps and contacts and *knocks wood again, like ridiculously hard* the phone has been functioning normally. It charges no problem and I can call/browse/text/etc no problem. So apparently my phone just decided to take a 60 hour vacation on me? So bizzare. It would be nice to hear back from Oldsig, to see how long his took to come back, but I hope this story can inspire hope in those who think their phone is trashed. This is a common problem and I've found similar stories on many other forums.

Blazin65 to address you question I am definitely a novice when it comes to HTC and just phones in general. However, I do remember when I was initially researching the phone for purchase that people reported problems with a rapidly discharing battery and HTC did some sort of software fix for it. Is it possible you don't have the fix downloaded/installed? From what I've read the HTC one V doesn't have a great battery to begin with right? I get like 1.5 days out of mine with pretty minimal use. If I'm really cranking on it (using netflix/poker/words with friends) it's a day max. Another thing to check is are you in a region with bad cell reception? If you're in a region with no service (i.e. an 'x' next to the bars on top of the screen) the phone radio works overtime trying to pick up a signal. This happens whenever I go to my in-laws and if I don't do airplane mode the phone will be dead in a matter of 6-8 hours, even with a full charge. Doesn't sound like this is the case for you but I thought I'd share just in case. Really hope you can figure your problem out, sorry I can't be more help.

Upvote 0
It sounds like your use of the phone is just about like mine. I fully charged it at 10 AM. It's now 2:25 PM and it's on 76%, with very little to no use. However, it's constanting searching for Wifi, which shows to be a drain on the battery, but when I walk in my house I want it to pick up Wifi, so I leave it on. It might actually use more battery at work because of all the activity and signals at work. Not sure. But I generally get @ 1.5 days as well. That's fine for me. I've got a charger at home and a charger at work, so it's no big deal to me.

I've had the phone for @ 4 months. I was going to get a LG Elite, but decided to get this phone primarily because of the Android 4.0. I do believe like other people that it seems slow, and not much faster than my old LG Optimus V. But overall it is a better phone in my opinion because it does have more memory and the audio for Pandora or other applications is much better. Camera is pretty decent too.

Regardless, I only buy a phone every two years, so I need it to last. That's why it always worries me that there are not too many posts in this forum, because if there is ever a problem, who can help me. The LG Optimus V forum had tons of post (which one might consider a bad thing).

I hope your situation remains OK.

Upvote 0
Update to charge for documentation purposes: As mentioned before, fully charged at 10 AM yesterday. At 8:30 AM today, still sitting on 44% of battery. This is with very little use yesterday and last night. I did notice that the percentage of battery use by Wifi, is much lower this morning after being at home. In other words, Wifi searching at work must be a big drain.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, thank you for the massive reply. Eventually we went to the store and got a new phone because they couldn't fix it :/ this was my sister her phone btw. Not mine. Seeing how many of you have problems with the phone is shocking. I'd try contacting htc since it seems to occur so often. Sorry I can't be more of a help. My sister her new phone works perfectly now

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. So some 3-4 weeks after my phone's initial failure it seems I'm back to normal. However, I did experience another 6 hour session of blackout where the phone was unresponsive to power/hard reset buttons maybe 2 nights after I thought I was initially out of the woods. Eventually it turned back on, and has been on ever since. It's operating like it never had an issue, and I'm thoroughly confused by that.

Blazin, I'm curious to see if the new update that they just put out has helped your battery issue? Apparently the phone should now pick up and drop wifi networks when you go in/out of range automatically, so that it doesn't drain the battery looking for them when you're not in range.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought it in May'12 from local store, and suddenly 2 days back i found touch was not responding, thought may be battery dried up. so i charged it 10-15 minutes after I noticed it was getting heated up gradually even after removed from charging. Finally i removed SD card and sim and waited till it get normal (it was difficult to hold since it has hot. Again when i plug it into for charging no led light in phone was there (tried from both PC USB /Ac power socket).

Yesterday i deposited it to a HTC service centre.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just registered to add my own experience as my phone died yesterday and I was freaking out...I bought a 10 foot generic braided cord off Ebay (big mistake), and while it worked at first, lately it's not been charging correctly. I had it on all night but when I checked in the morning it was at 20% as it hadn't been charging. I got the "There isn't enough power to charge your phone...close all apps" message but ignored it as I was in the middle of an email. I rushed through and closed everything, saw the red light flash and my screen go black- then nothing. I was unable to turn the phone on and every trick I read about didn't work. Plugged in and there was no light at all to even show that it was charging (it wasn't)
I left it charging for 12 hours
I quickly pushed the power button
I tried the power button/volume down trick
I used an authentic wall charger
I changed outlets, just to be sure
I unplugged it and let it rest, then tried again

Nothing worked. Finally as a last ditch attempt, I grabbed my Samsung charger and plugged it into that, and voila! Red light, screen turned on, and it is now at 85%. I know you're not supposed to use other chargers but for some reason this is the only thing that saved my phone. I have an HTC One X + and I adore this phone to death so am sitting pretty happy at the moment and wanted to come share

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones