• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Valet (Z665C) - WiFi reception modification

wavesailor

Lurker
Sep 22, 2014
Purchased this phone a few days ago, albeit read plenty of reviews citing various issues and workarounds.

However, with respect to WiFi reception although numerous reports it was quite poor (less than 20 foot range), there are also those who comment as this is not an issue and even a range of nearly 100 feet.

So indeed w/o activating just tested the WiFi and unfortunately unacceptable. Can not even pick up signal at a Starbucks or McDonalds unless extremely lucky. At home where other devices have a 80-140 foot range this phone only has a 20-25 foot range.

ZTE service support rep by phone was unknowledgeable.

Any comments from others on how to modify this or possibly a ZTE company rep can shed some light?

Thanks.

I found that the WIFI range was extended quite a bit by simply holding the phone by the bottom only. You still won't get "normal" range, but it might be doubled.

My suggestion is to return that turkey phone and get a different make/model. I now have a LG L39C and couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
If there are a lot of metal objects where the phone is situated, that will also affect WiFi reception.

I have two ZTE models, the Unico and Majesty. With both of these and my LG Optimus Exceed 2, I will get two or three WiFi bars in the kitchen - with all of the metal appliances around, it's maybe just under 20 feet from the router location which is on the same floor in the house.

If I leave the kitchen and walk 10' closer to the router, the WiFi signal immediately jumps to full bars on all three of the phones.

The router is situated in the middle of the house, so if I'm one floor downstairs or upstairs from the router, I will still get a signal, although I will get a better signal (full bars) If upstairs from the router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones