• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T - Galaxy S5 - Caller Name ID

The callerID you get is what's sent by the carrier of the person placing the call. Nothing you do or pay can change that. So when "Wisconsin" is calling you, that's what the carrier is sending to AT&T - the name "Wisconsin". AT&T can't do anything about that. (If the sending carrier also sends the number, there are apps that can do a web search for the name associated with that number, and show you the name in the callerID.) If the sending carrier sends the name, you'll see the name - you don't have to pay extra for that.

As far as having had to pay for callerID, yes, we did long ago. But that's about as old as rotary dials or paying extra for touchtone. You get callerID, but you get what's being sent. (Some cellphone carriers only send "Cellphone" and the state abbreviation.)

So feel good - sometimes an entire state is calling you. (Those are the calls I don't answer - they're just about guaranteed to be telemarketers, and if I want to buy it, I don't need someone calling me to tell me to buy it.)

Upvote 0
"Caller Name ID" is an app that AT&T includes with the Galaxy S5. I wouldn't pay $3 a month for it, especially since you can see the number calling when it's not in your contacts.

There are many free Caller ID alternatives in Google Play if you don't want to pay for it, haven't used them though so I don't have any recommendations for a good one.

Upvote 0
I am not a fan of "Caller Name ID." All day today I kept having to tap the box saying "This person not in your contacts texted you." I have no contacts yet because I just bought this phone yesterday. Relax. I figure it's just an annoying glitch and I need to sync my contacts. Then I see an ad: "Pay $2.99 a month for this thing!"

First of all, who the hell paid extra for caller ID when landlines were a thing? No one! Caller Name ID takes a basic feature, makes it moderately more annoying, and then attempts to accrue micropayments on it.

Whoever made this, you are not a cool person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones