• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't just select by character, auto-selects by word

D

Deleted User

I'm not sure when this started happening, but whenever I long-press text to select, and try to drag the little thumb knobs to select more or less, it'll stop at the end of a word until I drag far enough then just either select the whole next word or chunks of special characters (like comma space), meaning if I'm trying to move things around or specifically select only certain characters, I either have to pull too far then back, or select more or less than I want and paste-delete or retype... it causes a lot more work than it saves.

This is so annoying and counter-useful... I know iOS has been doing this for years, and Android actually used to make sense when selecting, letting me select exactly what I want, not making me select what it thinks I need.

Any way to disable this? I'm not seeing an option anywhere, and I'm sure that complaining through Google's "feedback" will go into their usual snobbish black hole.

I'm using Android 8 with the latest GBoard.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones