• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Covid Vaccination.....did you get yours yet?(boosters included)

If you can still catch a virus after receiving a vaccine for it, does the vaccine work?

If the vaccine works, then why fear unvaccinated people?

If the vaccine works, vaccine passports are unneccessary.

I removed the memes. If you want to repost them, please do so in the Politics and Current Affairs forum.

As to your questions.

No vaccine is 100% preventative. Not smallpox, tetanus, mumps measles, etc. Even the annual flu shot is generally 40% ~ 60% effective. The point of any vaccine is threefold. First it provides immunity where there was none before which may prevent infection. In the case of infection even after a vaccine, the severity and duration should be much less. And, most importantly, it keeps you out of the morgue, whether you are a resident or just visiting. The fact that current COVID vaccines are up to 95% effective in prevention is outstanding.

Vaccinated people are not afraid of the unvaccinated. Vaccinated people may still spread infection, even though at a much lower level. The unvaccinated are still very susceptible so it makes sense that the unvaccinated maintain proper social distance, not only to protect themselves, but to also protect the community at large.

Finally, vaccine passports aren't a thing, at least not in the U.S. That said, any business or property owner is within their rights to require proof of vaccination before being admitted to the property, just like they can require masks, or shirts and shoes, for that matter.

Upvote 0
If you can still catch a virus after receiving a vaccine for it, does the vaccine work?

If the vaccine works, then why fear unvaccinated people?

If the vaccine works, vaccine passports are unneccessary.
i fear unvaccinated people because vaccines are not 100% fool proof. i do not fear myself getting the virus, but i fear that i might pass it on to someone else.....maybe to someone who is not vaccinated.

this is not all about you.....this is about your community and your loved ones.

Upvote 0
So, just for everyone's info. The title of this "did you get yours?" Not, "the politics of" Covid Vaccines. So, Go to P&CA. Wow. It's been a long time since I've had to MOD here. Let me tell you.. I used to be a terror. Now? I'm a p-u-s-s-y-cat. But please. Not here.

Upvote 0
Wow. It's been a long time since I've had to MOD here. Let me tell you.. I used to be a terror. Now? I'm a p-u-s-s-y-cat. But please. Not here.
laughing uncontrollably.gif

Upvote 0
I saw the viral tik-tok video of the woman who was "good with numbers" and rattled off statistics about how bad the odds are if you are unvaccinated. Something struck me as "statistically disingenuous" about her analysis so I set about to verify (or debunk) what she was saying, f-word every three seconds notwithstanding. This chart represents the best data set I could find for the U.S. up to the first week in September.

CVD921.png

The first thing I thought was that she was using the entire U.S. population numbers, not just those vaccine-eligible. This included children under 18 (factoring out the 25% of 12-18 year-olds who have been vaccinated) totaling around 65 million or about 20% of the U.S. population. While her overall odds were correct, at least in the math, it was not a perfect indicator of vaccine efficacy. In fact, when you take out those ineligible numbers, the general odds of getting sick once vaccinated are less by close to 40%.

Now, the pre-vaccine numbers do represent a relatively real risk assessment IF (big if) we jumped in a time machine to one year ago. This was because all we had were distancing and masks and the Delta variant hadn't arrived in the U.S. The post vaccine numbers are a better assessment of the odds today, but that could easily change given the rapidly changing factors of this pandemic.

What I did find startling was that throughout the entire pandemic, whether vaccinated or not, once and individual gets COVID, the odds for being hospitalized or dying are relatively similar.

DISCLAIMER: I draw no conclusions and make no recommendations. This is just a slightly more granular examination of the odds statistics -- it's math. The numbers were from both the CDC and the COVID data project.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
just got my appointment setup for this sunday for me and my mom to get the booster shot. i'm getting the J&J while my mom is getting the Phfizer booster shot. i'm also will be getting the flu shot as well.

i changed the title to include boosters for covid-19.

anybody else getting a booster?
Soon, I will get double checked at the gym :)

Upvote 0
just got my appointment setup for this sunday for me and my mom to get the booster shot. i'm getting the J&J while my mom is getting the Phfizer booster shot. i'm also will be getting the flu shot as well.

i changed the title to include boosters for covid-19.

anybody else getting a booster?

I had a booster a couple of weeks ago.

Upvote 0
I got my booster as soon as I was eligible. With three young grandchildren and an immunocompromised wife, I'm not taking any chances of getting it, or spreading it, if i can help it. I also got my flu shot with my regular checkup.

My shots were all Pfizer® and i only had a slight reaction (a bit of tiredness) to the second one. Of course that might have been psychosomatic, just to get me out of half a day of work. ;)

Upvote 0
I got my booster the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It had me feeling a little flu-y the next day.... and I guess I managed to pick up a cold at around the same time because I felt like absolute crap for the next 10 days.

All better now, though, and glad to have gotten the shot - and to have had an excuse for being more antisocial than usual with my family over the holiday.

Upvote 0
Got my booster a week or two ago.

I want to tell you unvaccinated folk a little story, not that it matters. My brother and his family figured they'd be careful and had nothing to worry about - in MI of all places. He's been in the hospital since mid-November and on a respirator for the majority of that time. His Drs have recommended he be removed from it and allowed to die with dignity at this point. That was last week. Ridiculous drama going on with lawyers and trying to transfer him because his wife (and yes, he) didn't think any of this is real. So there he lays in probable pain because his wife is sure of everything except the obvious and doesn't have his best interest in mind - because there is no covid after all. Guess what, it's very real. Get vaccinated.

Upvote 0

I want to tell you unvaccinated folk a little story, not that it matters. My brother and his family figured they'd be careful and had nothing to worry about - in MI of all places. He's been in the hospital since mid-November and on a respirator for the majority of that time. His Drs have recommended he be removed from it and allowed to die with dignity at this point. That was last week. Ridiculous drama going on with lawyers and trying to transfer him because his wife (and yes, he) didn't think any of this is real. So there he lays in probable pain because his wife is sure of everything except the obvious and doesn't have his best interest in mind - because there is no covid after all. Guess what, it's very real. Get vaccinated.
You know what? I see stories like this on TV every single week!! Just like this. Some idiot thought COVID was a hoax, didn't get vaccinated, now they're dead (or dying) and it's like, HUH?! What happened?! I can't even recall now how many cases I've seen where the last words the person said--before dying from COVID--were "it's real--get vaccinated!" Sad they had to die to figure that out, when SCIENCE was all around telling them facts.

Upvote 0

I'm sorry about your brother. I am hoping that he gets well. I hope his immediate family is well also.

And yes folks get vaccinated or your booster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones