• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discuss all Moto Droid Razr/Maxx HD rumors/release date/speculation/news

I went to the Verizon store the other day, looking at the new iPhone5, comparing the screen to my Orig Inc1 and it's only slightly taller by 1/4". I thought this was my next phone now I'm not so sure.

Then I went and looked the the Droid M w/ Edge to Edge screen, it was really really nice, the 4:3 screen actually looked larger due to the edge to edge look.

My question is, will the Razr HD & HD Maxx be considered edge to edge screen like the Droid M. It's hard to tell from pics.

Upvote 0
It might be marketed as it, but there's still a bezel. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing its slightly larger than the M, but not all that huge. Here's a link to a video review of the white RHD which shows it decently.

Motorola DROID RAZR HD Hands-On - YouTube

Anywho, I'm excited. I promised myself that I'd wait a week after the initial launch to see how bad the quality control is or if anything flaws show up at launch, but now I might have to go back on that. Can't wait, I hope the dev community becomes big for this phone!

Upvote 0
It might be marketed as it, but there's still a bezel. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing its slightly larger than the M, but not all that huge. Here's a link to a video review of the white RHD which shows it decently.

Motorola DROID RAZR HD Hands-On - YouTube

Anywho, I'm excited. I promised myself that I'd wait a week after the initial launch to see how bad the quality control is or if anything flaws show up at launch, but now I might have to go back on that. Can't wait, I hope the dev community becomes big for this phone!

The HD is 4.7 and the M is 4.5 and the iphone 5 is only 4".
The screen on the HD is Super Amoled and the M is not. Don't expect the M and the RHD screen to look the same. The M will probably be much brighter, but not HD resolution.

Upvote 0
Do any of you have any tips for the need (or lack thereof) of charging this phone before first use (including setting it up)? The manual (at least the AU version: here) indicates the need to charge it before setting it up (see page five under "let's go"). I have read and read on this and cannot seem to get a straight answer. I will be going into the store to get it (unless there is a pre-order) so I am assuming that the clerks will want to turn it on without charging it. I need to have them do this since I am doing an alternate upgrade to keep unlimited data. Any thoughts on what you guys would do if you were in my situation? Also -- do you have any idea where to find the Verizon manual?
I didn't think that Li-ion batteries required this; however, if you read the manual and look at the videos here: Motorola Razr HD LTE (XT925) - Unboxing (instore October 2012) - YouTube (0:15) and here: Motorola Razr HD : d

Upvote 0
Do any of you have any tips for the need (or lack thereof) of charging this phone before first use (including setting it up)? The manual (at least the AU version: here) indicates the need to charge it before setting it up (see page five under "let's go"). I have read and read on this and cannot seem to get a straight answer. I will be going into the store to get it (unless there is a pre-order) so I am assuming that the clerks will want to turn it on without charging it. I need to have them do this since I am doing an alternate upgrade to keep unlimited data. Any thoughts on what you guys would do if you were in my situation? Also -- do you have any idea where to find the Verizon manual?
I didn't think that Li-ion batteries required this; however, if you read the manual and look at the videos here: Motorola Razr HD LTE (XT925) - Unboxing (instore October 2012) - YouTube (0:15) and here: Motorola Razr HD : d

Upvote 0
I called a local Verizon store and they are nice enough to hold a Razr HD phone for me until I come in to get it... I asked if they expected a big demand for this phone and they said I was the first person to call and request to reserve one...I'm not sure when Motorola is going to start marketing this phone, but if it starts this weekend or prior to Thursday, I don't know if I would be as lucky...

Upvote 0
This is excellent news, just excellent.

So, I do have a question that is slightly off-topic. What's the advantage or the reason for having a non-removable battery? Cheaper to manufacture, or what. It seams that with a non-removable battery they would lose lots of sales from customers who would purchase extra batteries.

I think it also has to do with getting the battery into the space they gave it - the current Razr and Razr maxx have lithium polymer batteries as opposed to lithium ion, which allows them to mold it to fit weird shaped cavities. Some discussion about other differences here: Li-ion battery vs Li-Polymer battery discussion about Motorola DROID RAZR but it's internet people (ew!) so take it with the appropriate dosage of salt. I've upgraded a razr to a razr maxx and I can tell you that the polymer battery is definitely pretty soft -it bent a fair bit when I was removing it, even using the provided pull-tab. That may be part of why it's not "user replaceable," some sort of liability issue. That and having to put a plastic shell on it, design in a removable battery door, etc.

Upvote 0
I called a local Verizon store and they are nice enough to hold a Razr HD phone for me until I come in to get it... I asked if they expected a big demand for this phone and they said I was the first person to call and request to reserve one...I'm not sure when Motorola is going to start marketing this phone, but if it starts this weekend or prior to Thursday, I don't know if I would be as lucky...

I called and one rep didn't even know about it's existence. Told me the only RAZR listed was the M. He transferred me to someone else, and told me that it is indeed coming out on the 18th but she only knew that because she was waiting for it as well. Looks like it won't be too difficult to grab one on Thursday for me as long as I skip a class. I'm hoping they market it though, I want the community to be huge. Been seeing a few RAZR M ads though, so I bet it will happen.

Also my VZW rep told me that the alternate upgrade to keep unlimited data definitely works and exists, and that most of the VZW reps at my store know about it. Another victory!

Upvote 0
I called and one rep didn't even know about it's existence. Told me the only RAZR listed was the M. He transferred me to someone else, and told me that it is indeed coming out on the 18th but she only knew that because she was waiting for it as well. Looks like it won't be too difficult to grab one on Thursday for me as long as I skip a class. I'm hoping they market it though, I want the community to be huge. Been seeing a few RAZR M ads though, so I bet it will happen.

Also my VZW rep told me that the alternate upgrade to keep unlimited data definitely works and exists, and that most of the VZW reps at my store know about it. Another victory!

I feel like it may be common knowledge, but is the "alternate upgrade" something other than just buying the phone outright to keep the unlimited data plan? I'm coming from a Droid X (like many here, it seems) and I'm trying to run the numbers now to see if it's worth buying outright. Frankly, the difference between the subsidized and regular price of the Maxx HD ($300 and $650) is a lot less than expected, so it's got me thinking...

Upvote 0
I feel like it may be common knowledge, but is the "alternate upgrade" something other than just buying the phone outright to keep the unlimited data plan? I'm coming from a Droid X (like many here, it seems) and I'm trying to run the numbers now to see if it's worth buying outright. Frankly, the difference between the subsidized and regular price of the Maxx HD ($300 and $650) is a lot less than expected, so it's got me thinking...

Don't worry about it, I only figured it out recently.

From what the rep explained to me, if you have another phone on your line which is eligible, you can order that phone as an upgrade, and have it transferred to yours without affecting your line's plan.

In my case, I'm on a family plan with 2 dumbphones and 2 smartphones. The 2 dumbphones are upgrade eligible, so what I'm doing is ordering an upgrade for the RHD on a dumbphone line. When the RHD arrives, VZW will have the phone changed over to my line, without affecting my line at all. I still keep my upgrade eligibility and unlimited because I didn't use the upgrade option on my line. However the phone you took the upgrade from loses the ability to upgrade and unlimited data (if applicable). Someone loses out in the end, but since it's a dumbphone in my case, nobody really misses out. And my parents don't care about losing unlimited either. And there's no added cost either since the dumbphone will be reactivated again, terminating the data plan that had to be authorized on it's line.

Hope that cleared it up for you. If you need more, ask away.

Reactions: gamersince1976
Upvote 0
Don't worry about it, I only figured it out recently.

From what the rep explained to me, if you have another phone on your line which is eligible, you can order that phone as an upgrade, and have it transferred to yours without affecting your line's plan.

In my case, I'm on a family plan with 2 dumbphones and 2 smartphones. The 2 dumbphones are upgrade eligible, so what I'm doing is ordering an upgrade for the RHD on a dumbphone line. When the RHD arrives, VZW will have the phone changed over to my line, without affecting my line at all. I still keep my upgrade eligibility and unlimited because I didn't use the upgrade option on my line. However the phone you took the upgrade from loses the ability to upgrade and unlimited data (if applicable). Someone loses out in the end, but since it's a dumbphone in my case, nobody really misses out. And my parents don't care about losing unlimited either. And there's no added cost either since the dumbphone will be reactivated again, terminating the data plan that had to be authorized on it's line.

Hope that cleared it up for you. If you need more, ask away.

Thanks - I think I got it! It sounds like since I only have the one line it's not going to apply to me. Though I don't see a reason why buying the phone outright shouldn't work - unless there's something different about jumping on to 4G.

Upvote 0
Thanks - I think I got it! It sounds like since I only have the one line it's not going to apply to me. Though I don't see a reason why buying the phone outright shouldn't work - unless there's something different about jumping on to 4G.

Yeah unfortunately you need more than one line to work. I did ask about buying it outright and I was told it would keep my unlimited as well. I asked just incase, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. It wouldn't hurt to call though.

Upvote 0
Oh, and I'll take paanyrtial credit for this release. I had given my Maxx to my wife and just bought another one for myself YESTERDAY thinking the HD wouldn't be out for another month at least. You're all welcome.

You should have14 days to return your maxx and get the hd if you pay the restock fee. Or has it changed in the last few months?

Upvote 0
Yeah same here, this is sounding to good to be true. Obviously the actual phone would be hidden under a case so thats not what it will look like. Would be a step back too considering thats how the older Moto phones looked. Regardless, my DX is presenting a few issues at the absolute worst possible time. I might have to end up getting the RHD at launch and if anything is announced on the 29th, run back and return it. Oh well, that's technology for ya.

Upvote 0
Any word on why there was a delay on the Razr HD/Razr Maxx HD release? Was it radio/signal issues? Did it get fixed? I'm kinda skeptical about verizon..... at least this is a Motorola phone and not a Samsung phone......

And are they too late in releasing this phone? Aren't quad core phones on the horizon?
Chumlee.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones