• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discuss all Moto Droid Razr/Maxx HD rumors/release date/speculation/news

Nothing I've seen, those antena issues were only rumors as far as I'd heard anyway, so I wouldn't put too much weight into it.

As far the quads, I don't think real app usage has much of an improvement over that. I've not heard of people who have issues with their phones in day to day usage, only for people who want to run synthetic benches, which are pretty useless anyway for real life predictions of usage. The U.S. Galaxy S3 is still considered a top of the line phone and it only has a dual core as well. Should be fine for years to come.

Upvote 0
Yes, quad core and LTE does exist now. Galaxy Note 2 is quad and LTE. Although apps don't support quads really, but I think it helps to future proof as much as possible. Who knows, in 1 year, apps may support. Who knows, maybe in 2 years they will support. With 2 year contracts, it might be nice to have as much power as you can get. The dual core S4 though is a modern chip and should be fine for 2 years.
Then again, my DX 1Ghz chip should have been good for two years. However, it has proven not up to the task.
The LG nexus is supposed to be quad core also.
Although the RHD is high on my list of purchases, Moto has waited too long and now there are too many upcoming phones out.
1) Note 2 (have to hold 1st to see if it's too big)
2) LG nexus (not for me though) (fixed battery of "only" 2500, no SD AND small internal memory)
3) HTC 5" device (no specks yet)

I also like the Samsung phones with 2gb ram. Seems to make a difference for multi tasking in comparison between 1gb non US phones vs 2gb for US phones.

Upvote 0
I still think my Droid X is more than capable in this day and age, and if it had 4G then I'd likely use it for another year. I don't believe quad core will be necessary for a good while, look how long it took computers to switch from dual cores to quads. For a long time, dual cores were able to keep the gap small.

As for the RAM, I doubt it will be such a huge issue on the RHD. Samsung's phones run a lot of S-programs along with Touchwiz which is why I'd imagine it has a massive amount of RAM. I can't see the new blur UI taking up a whole lot of memory while it's running so it should be good enough.

But yeah, it's all good for future proofing, get as much as you can.

Upvote 0
I am anxiously awaiting to get the chance to use a RAZR maxx HD alongside an S3. Got both my wife and my daughter the S3, and it puts my RAZR to shame. The S3 display is much nicer than the RAZR, and the speed difference is night and day. My RAZR is getting laggy, I should probably do a factory reset just to get it up to speed again (all my moto phones have needed resets every 4 to 6 months as they get laggy otherwise). The Maxx HD has a tough competitor to live up to in the S3, and I will still probably wait until the Note 2 is on VZ before I finally make my final decision. Although right now the S3 is looking very hard to beat.

Upvote 0
I am anxiously awaiting to get the chance to use a RAZR maxx HD alongside an S3. Got both my wife and my daughter the S3, and it puts my RAZR to shame. The S3 display is much nicer than the RAZR, and the speed difference is night and day. My RAZR is getting laggy, I should probably do a factory reset just to get it up to speed again (all my moto phones have needed resets every 4 to 6 months as they get laggy otherwise). The Maxx HD has a tough competitor to live up to in the S3, and I will still probably wait until the Note 2 is on VZ before I finally make my final decision. Although right now the S3 is looking very hard to beat.

My friend has an S3 and he likes it.....I have had bad luck with the samsung/verizon combo: Fascinate, Charge(got better after a few updates), galaxy nexus, now I got the Razr Maxx and it has been (and is) great......waiting for the next MOtorala HD. I'm still ver skeptical about samsung/verizon...

Upvote 0
So maybe that multiple Nexus rumor is indeed true. Possible images of a Sony Nexus leaked.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/10/15/is-this-the-sony-nexus-x/

If this ends up true, this can end up meaning that Occam is real and probably the only reason it wasnt leaked so badly is because Moto is run by Google anyway, so massive leak management. Which would in turn kill this phone.

I can't see why Google cant turn the RHD into a faux-Nexus anyway and just release updates like they do for other Nexii though. Sounds like it makes perfect sense to me. Have your own manufacturer while not branding it Nexus, so you dont alienate partners.

EDIT: Also, Android Central review of the RHD: http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-review

Reactions: ALurker
Upvote 0
So maybe that multiple Nexus rumor is indeed true. Possible images of a Sony Nexus leaked.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/10/15/is-this-the-sony-nexus-x/

If this ends up true, this can end up meaning that Occam is real and probably the only reason it wasnt leaked so badly is because Moto is run by Google anyway, so massive leak management. Which would in turn kill this phone.

I can't see why Google cant turn the RHD into a faux-Nexus anyway and just release updates like they do for other Nexii though. Sounds like it makes perfect sense to me. Have your own manufacturer while not branding it Nexus, so you dont alienate partners.

EDIT: Also, Android Central review of the RHD: http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-review

I just read another article re: Occam & Manta today and found myself getting caught up and starting to believe it. I'm now back to reality and being a doubting Thomas though. Maybe by the time the Maxx HD is out for a couple weeks and I can find a decent price there will be a definite yes or no on the Occam.

And about your last paragraph, the answer is Verizon. I just can't see any way they just let Google send out updates to phones on their network without testing the hell out of them like they do with Apple.

Upvote 0
I just want it to be true. I'm a big Moto fan so if the Occam ends up being real, I don't have to settle with Samsung/LG/Sony. Thats why I'm still hanging onto it. Moto's build quality is unmatched.

However if there was any Nexus announcements due, it should be on the 29th/30th. Thats when the All Things D/Dive Into Mobile conference is. Andy Rubin is set to speak there and thats where Honeycomb was announced. Falls perfectly into the Verizon 14 day return policy as well, so that covers me if it were true.

Doesn't Google put up Nexus updates on their site though? I've never had a Nexus so I'm not completely sure but I read that somewhere. I'm sure there are other ways to get the updates out though. Could just be downloaded as an update.zip and we can do it ourselves.

EDIT: Android Police believes those photos are fake.

Well that's unfortunate.

Upvote 0
Yes, quad core and LTE does exist now. Galaxy Note 2 is quad and LTE. Although apps don't support quads really, but I think it helps to future proof as much as possible. Who knows, in 1 year, apps may support. Who knows, maybe in 2 years they will support. With 2 year contracts, it might be nice to have as much power as you can get. The dual core S4 though is a modern chip and should be fine for 2 years.
Then again, my DX 1Ghz chip should have been good for two years. However, it has proven not up to the task.
The LG nexus is supposed to be quad core also.
Although the RHD is high on my list of purchases, Moto has waited too long and now there are too many upcoming phones out.
1) Note 2 (have to hold 1st to see if it's too big)
2) LG nexus (not for me though) (fixed battery of "only" 2500, no SD AND small internal memory)
3) HTC 5" device (no specks yet)

I also like the Samsung phones with 2gb ram. Seems to make a difference for multi tasking in comparison between 1gb non US phones vs 2gb for US phones.

Pretty sure video playback apps support quad core. Also pretty sure a dual core 1.5ghz won't handle 720p video if doing software playback where the gpu doesn't do the decoding because it can't support a certain file for whatever reason. Quad core should be able to handle these videos though. Plus the Adreno 225 in the dual core s4 is probably just barely enough for 1080p, I'd feel better with the 320 having a decent amount of extra power. There are things people want to do with their phones that they should be able to do after all, and it isn't all benchmarks.

Upvote 0
Yeah unfortunately you need more than one line to work. I did ask about buying it outright and I was told it would keep my unlimited as well. I asked just incase, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. It wouldn't hurt to call though.

So to be clear...I have DX with unlimited data plan. If I purchase the RMHD outright ($700) rather than take the upgrade price, I can keep the unlimited data plan, even going from 3G to 4G?

Upvote 0
Hey All, now that the HD's are out, this thread will slowly sink to the bottom. So I wanted to thank everyone for contributing. This wasn't as drama-filled and crazy as the infamous Galaxy Nexus Mega-Thread (no one got flamed, infracted or banned here :p), but this was an intelligent and friendly discourse, so thanks, and particularly to the Top 10 contributors:

OfTheDamned-83
dirkbonn-76
IHateMyTreo-69
serpa4-65
jasaero-62
Milkweed25-37
Sarrith-36
red66charger-34
ylexot-31
DILands-27
_Aardvark-27

Have fun with your HD

Upvote 0
I'm sure it is. It's been out in other countries. I don't think the S4 chip comes in 1.2ghz.

This phone is 1.5ghz, but the cpu could technically be underclocked by the manufacturer to save power and such. Many low end phones have the same S4, same CPU and GPU, just claim 1.2ghz for the cpu. Oddly enough though, at least for the pantech marauder, it reports running at 1.5ghz to cpu spy and other apps, so maybe every s4 phone out there is really running at 1.5ghz. It doesn't make the razr hd look good to have as much power as the junk phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones