• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh dear, stop me from getting another dog.

Umm. Someone, please, anyone...please tell me NO! Ugh. I'm on the verge of filling out the application to adopt a Greyhound. Please. Tell me NO!

Tickle and I met him yesterday at the adoption clinic at the petshop, they got along very well and I spoke w/the nice ladies for a long while. I've been toying with another dog for a bit but am conflicted (not really, maybe), it's twice the everything again. Tickle could probably care less, I've mostly always had 2 dogs though. I don't need another dog. I sort of want another dog, maybe. I will probably get the one we met yesterday, well, maybe. SOB! I can give this guy a nice home, he's still really young and never raced because he broke his leg/foot during training. It's all healed, he's fine now. He's really sweet and seemingly very calm, almost aloof (but Greyhounds are like that).

I miss Lilly terribly, yesterday was her birthday and the 13th was 6 months since she died. No one will ever fill the big hole she left, I'm not looking to even try. The timing is just coincidental...I went to get dog food and there was Luster (name change needed), I did know they would be there but didn't plan on looking. Well, maybe I did.

OK, now everyone line up and yell it loud and with conviction...NO! Well, maybe not.

Here's his pic from when they first got him. He's in much better shape now, not all boney and unkempt. UGH

Attachments

• Luster.jpg
    Luster.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
We have three rescue dogs and that's about three too many at this point. While I respect and admire people who adopt rescues, Dngrsone said it best: we can't save them all. I wish I could. But I can't. And the Darling Bride & I have made a pact that when these are passed on, NO MORE PETS. We want to travel so much... but we have these three little anchors holding us back.

Upvote 0
I'm not thinking of getting another dog just to rescue one or try to 'save' it in any way. I'm thinking of getting another dog because I'm ready/want another dog. I don't care what kind of dog it is, I like dogs. I'm not in the mood for a puppy so a shelter or rescue group dog is a good option. Tickle is 3, she'll be here for a long while so another isn't going to ruin any plans about jetting around the world. When I do go out of town I dump them at my sister's house, and I take her dogs almost every weekend in the summer while she and the kids go camping. It's an established routine that one more dog isn't going to muck up. I was just thinking aloud :)

@Bg260 You should have seen the way Lilly looked at me, true absolute pure love. She loved me and it showed in every way, every day. I'll probably never see that much devotion from a dog again, it was beyond special. I had one other dog, Max (shelter dog, GS mix) that was close, I'll probably actually not see that much dog love again either. Tickle and I are great buds, and she loves me (and I her) but not at that level.

Anyway, I did submit the application so we'll see what, if anything, comes of it. I'm OK with whatever they decide.

Upvote 0
Umm. Someone, please, anyone...please tell me NO! Ugh. I'm on the verge of filling out the application to adopt a Greyhound. Please. Tell me NO!

OK, now everyone line up and yell it loud and with conviction...NO! Well, maybe not.

Just turn your back on the little guy and pretend you never gave him any consideration..... NOT

Upvote 0
we lost our 8 year old St. Bernard, he got sick, took him to the vet.
they said he had a mass in his tummy, what to do?
we said fix him..... they removed a 12 lb tumor from his belly....

he died about dawn the next day, his system just could not withstand the stress.

we were devastated to say the least......
3 days later, a 3 month old farm raised Great Pyrenees showed up on Facebook.... we called and grabbed her fast!!! best thing we ever did.

smartest dog we have ever had, at 6 months she just loves us, walks against my leg, not "way out there at the end of a leash"....

the Heinz 57 husky mix is untrainable at 3 years old, we raised her from 6 weeks old... just will NOT listen, period.

Upvote 0
Some do just have their ideas and see no reason to listen. I had a GSD that was like that, donated him to the State Police. They loved him and it's what he needed. He was becoming a liability, just didn't think I needed to be in charge and was getting really aggressive with other dogs. Like wanting to actually kill them aggressive. He's the only dog I couldn't keep and it was hard letting him go but best for all involved.

Sorry about your St. Bernard. Ugh.

Upvote 0
Look, there is only one person that can convince you to get or not get another dog and you stare her in the face every morning in the mirror. o_O

For me, I have a dog and 3 cats and I'd totally get another dog were it not for city ordinance. I am at maximum density.

I'll echo above, if you have the room, the money, the time and the heart, there's simply no reason not to get another dog. It's one of the most amazing relationships in the history of the world, a human and their dog. So if you want to and you're ready why in the world wouldn't you?

Upvote 0
It is a question, yes. My yard is a decent size and fully fenced, I think it'd be fine. It's big enough for Tickle to run like a lunatic and play fetch with tennis balls. She gets pretty tired, we go out and play a lot during the day...you know, between working and all :D

Upvote 0
It is a question, yes. My yard is a decent size and fully fenced, I think it'd be fine. It's big enough for Tickle to run like a lunatic and play fetch with tennis balls. She gets pretty tired, we go out and play a lot during the day...you know, between working and all :D

I hear @lunatic59 isn't "running" like he used to. Just say'n. :D

Upvote 0
Actually, I believe greyhounds are able to thrive in less active environments, too. I'd be more concerned with your climate (it get's pretty darn cold there, right?) Greyhounds don't tolerate cold well.
Right, it does. I've read that they like the snow (silly dogs!!) and can tolerate quick trips outside, they just can't stay out for extended periods. Neither can I these days. If we were going for a walk or somewhere where we'd be out I'd certainly dress him up for it. I'd try not to laugh at him no matter how silly he looked.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
We had to get a coat for our older dog (a schipperke) because ... well, he's getting old. When the temperature drops below 25°F he definitely feels it. He doesn't look silly at all (unless we try and use the hood, too) ;)

Maggie has a very short coat and if it drops below freezing she trembles something terrible, we got her a coat for walks but she can't do the booties. That's what worries me is her widdle paws. So we take VERY short walks in the winter.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones