• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ota updates?

tcseacliff

Apr 17, 2010
Hi,

I was a previous Blackberry guy. now I have the ONE m8. I was always able to plug my phone into my computer and down load the latest OS or Hybrid. now, how is this done on the Android phones? are there tutorials on how to do this like there were for BlackBerries? thanks !

On most phones go to Settings -> System Updates

If there's an update it will notify you and ask to install OTA.

Carriers release Android updates in stages to everyone, so for example if your carrier started sending out the update last week it could be several more weeks until you receive it. Or you could get it tomorrow, depending on when you're randomly selected.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You appear to be pretty fixated on always having the latest version of Android on your phone. Have you thought about getting a Nexus phone instead? Your HTC M8 is pretty nice but any 'carrier branded' phone will be hampered by its carrier -- Google releases updates on a regular basis now but depending on your phone model, how old it is, and who the carrier is you might get those updates relatively promptly or not at all. But Nexus phones are Google's flagship models, they run a clean version of Android and are the first to get updates.

Upvote 0
no actually fixated,but seems that updates are nice to have, but the phone does not connect to the computer anyway, so now that makes this not worth the trouble, so will just wait and if they send me an update,good! it is just puzzling how there is USB functions with these phones via manager type soft ware. i thought Blackberry was the only crap ohones that could not connect! this phone is just as bad ! will never understand how USB connecting just always sucks! this is too much trouble , thanks folks!

Upvote 0
says phone not connected. it actually was loading the device a few times then just disconnects itself and goes back to the "not connected state? I changed cables also, switched ports too! same thing , phone not connected. seems to just be a crap shoot with USB. was same way with Blackberry as an sure with iphone. seems to be something that manufacturers don't care to address when they build these devices .seems like USB is a hassle for the software to deal with across many platforms! Big PITA!

Upvote 0
Maybe you might want to just skip relying on USB connectivity and use something like the Airdroid app for file transfers. No need to mess with any MTP or PTP or mass storage settings on your computer, Airdroid uses your wireless network so no physical cable is involved. And you don't need to add/install anything on your computer, all that's necessary is the app on your M8.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

Install the app on your phone, launch it, and the screen will show a web site if you've created account with their service for remote access. But you can just skip doing that if your phone and computer/laptop are on the same local network. Under it in smaller type is another site, an IP address (based on your home network) with a port number -- something like http://192.168.1.3:8888 On your computer using whatever browser you use (doesn't matter if you're running Linux, OS X, or Windows, or whichever browser your prefer) type in that exact same IP:port and hit <Enter>. The browser window will show a screen representing your phone and you can just transfer files to and from your phone using your browser.

Upvote 0
it actually was loading the device a few times then just disconnects itself and goes back to the "not connected state?

Okay. In device manager does it list the device under Android Phone like this?

manage-jpg.84292

If you see an "unknown device" with a yellow triangle then you might not have the right drivers installed for it.

Upvote 0
Maybe you might want to just skip relying on USB connectivity and use something like the Airdroid app for file transfers. No need to mess with any MTP or PTP or mass storage settings on your computer, Airdroid uses your wireless network so no physical cable is involved. And you don't need to add/install anything on your computer, all that's necessary is the app on your M8.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

Install the app on your phone, launch it, and the screen will show a web site if you've created account with their service for remote access. But you can just skip doing that if your phone and computer/laptop are on the same local network. Under it in smaller type is another site, an IP address (based on your home network) with a port number -- something like http://192.168.1.3:8888 On your computer using whatever browser you use (doesn't matter if you're running Linux, OS X, or Windows, or whichever browser your prefer) type in that exact same IP:port and hit <Enter>. The browser window will show a screen representing your phone and you can just transfer files to and from your phone using your browser.

this seems a lot more user friendly than the USB route! seems better to by pass all the computer BS!

Upvote 0
this seems a lot more user friendly than the USB route! seems better to by pass all the computer BS!

I downloaded the Airdroid app onto my phone and computer, but keeps telling me there is no computer found, and there is no device connected? so back to square one again! besides , I still cannot get the newest OS keeps telling me I am up to date? this stuff is difficult!

Upvote 0
When the Airdroid app starts and shows on your phone's screen, towards the top will be a web.android.com site address. Directly below that in much smaller type will be an IP and port number, for me I typically see http://10.0.0.5:8888 If your home network is set up using 192.168.x.x you might see something like http://192.168.1.6:8888
Either way, now go to your computer and type that exact address into the web browser and hit <Enter>. That's how you'll interact with your phone, through your computer's web browser. Note that your computer and phone have to be on the same local network. It doesn't matter if your computer is using a wired or wireless connection.

The above is for when you're at home and just using your home network. You can remotely exchange files between your phone and computer using Airdroid but in that case you need to create an account then use that web.android.com address instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones