• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Starlink Satellite Internet Arrived

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
I ordered Starlink satellite internet for my Tennessee RV site. I got the mobile unit. It's month to month, but you have to buy the equipment, which is pricey. The unit came in 3 days, but the pipe adapter I ordered for mounting won't be mailed for a week. I talked to a few of my neighbors in Tennessee who have Starlink Internet and they like it.. Starlink

I checked out Hughesnet, but it's a 2 year contract and really isn't mobile.

starlink5.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered Starlink satellite internet for my Tennessee RV site. I got the mobile unit. It's month to month, but you have to buy the equipment, which s pricey. The unit came in 3 days, but the pipe adapter I ordered for mounting won't be mailed for a week. I few of my neighbors in Tennessee have Starlink Internet and they like it.. Starlink

I checked out Hughesnet, but it's a 2 year contract and really isn't mobile.

View attachment 166873
Seems pretty cool!

When you get the adapter and get it mounted please let us know what the setup is like, not to mention the actual service.

Upvote 0
That, Sir, is a stellar idea. My spot is not secured at all beyond being remote... not on the map... no road name or address sort of place. Being off the map keeps it out of mind. A thief could have days to haul away or vandalize however. Having an eye on things would be all good. I bet you will enjoy your internet just for that reason if nothing else.

Upvote 0
I set the starlink up, I have it on top of my trailer with two 20 lb bags of sand on the legs to hold it in place (It's the mobile unit) , Once you have it set the starlink software does all the work. It's well thought out software that is easy to follow. My IP was in Kansas. I then upgraded the software and my IP changed to Georgia. I did a Ookia speed teat and it was at 84.65. We did have a thunderstorm and connection went out for about an hour.

I then intalled an outdoor Nest Camera. Here's a pic of the starlink on my trailer and a picture from my Nest Camera

Attachments

• sateontrailer.jpg
    sateontrailer.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 51
  • traiker.png
    traiker.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
Once me and my girl took a trip to Pilot Mountain, NC and stayed in a remote cabin. All they had for internet was Hughesnet. It was worse than dialup. Super high latency, forget video streaming at all. It was basically only good for very laggy web browsing and email at best.

Satellite internet is like satellite TV. Soon as the signal drops even the least little bit, like when it rains, forget using it. Speed tests would show a decent download speed but upload was almost unmeasurable. Latency was well over 5000ms. I would like to hope they have improved since 2014 but it ruined any chances I'd ever give it a chance.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I've thought about erecting a yagi antenna and trying to hit the Pizza Hut in town and their free wifi. Internet would be nice at the cabin but part of the fun of being down there is being off line. If I was down there for weeks instead of days, I'd feel a little differently about it. I can get NOAA weather and have ham communications so I'm not completely isolated. And I can get cell service if I walk to the road and stand on one leg and hold the phone in the air. :)

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I've heard good things about Starlink. Earlier this year, there was an Amateur Radio (one of my other hobbies) expedition to the remotest place on earth... Bouvet Island. Starlink was their "failsafe" method of communication, and it worked flawlessly! They were able to make clear calls and even transmit data. Seems like a good fit for a roving RVer.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
I've toyed with the idea of living either in my trailer or the cabin. Both are on a lease that cost me pennies compared to the dollars of maintaining a home and taxes in the city. It's tempting to sell out, downsize, and migrate on the cheap. Startlink would definitely come into play if I were to migrate. If it was just me, I'd be living down there now but the wife feels differently.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones