• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] All-In-One Custom ROM User Guide

@Madbat I have been reading this thread for the last few hours bc I'd like to root my VM SPH-L710. This will be my first time rooting a phone and am taking notes as I go along. First, is there a 'noob' dictionary for all of these new terms I'm learning? (RAM, Flashing, recoveries (touch based), etc. Hahaha! Learning a new language here.
Thanks for sticking around and posting knowledgeable replies. Looks like @struckn hasn't been around for a bit so, thank you. After reading his in-depth tutorial I now feel more confident in the process. I will continue reading and post questions if needed. Any video or 'very' beginners links would be appreciated. Thanks again.
here is the root guide. It says mk5, but it still applies to NDC and nj3, 4.4.2. Works perfect.
this one has some terminology definitions. You can find some pretty good videos on YouTube, the sprint s3 has more info out there and most of it applies to the virgin, the procedures do anyways. Just the files are different (sometimes).

Reactions: ur2d2r
Upvote 0
here is the root guide. It says mk5, but it still applies to NDC and nj3, 4.4.2. Works perfect.
this one has some terminology definitions. You can find some pretty good videos on YouTube, the sprint s3 has more info out there and most of it applies to the virgin, the procedures do anyways. Just the files are different (sometimes).

What do I need to know about my VM s3 4.4.2 before starting? MK5 is for 4.3, right? Will all MK5 posts/tutorial apply to me also?

Uh...yeah. Bright blue noob :) TY

Upvote 0
Also, I've found nothing on how to backup (phone? Files? Apps? Contacts?) for first time. What apps to keep what should go...

An iPhoney was my first smartphone and I was able to JB it with Cydia, after having it for sometime, and lost nothing in the JB process. It ran for a year, without anymore work out of me? :) Can I expect similar results from "rooting"? Any reading material that would answer these noob lines of questioning would be great. TY for the help and Happy New Year.

Upvote 0
Should I add @Madbat to these replies as a rule, if I am replying to something here?

Yeah. Noob here too. Sorry :(
No need to add name.
Not all things for mk5 will work, but the root method will. As for comparing to an iPhone, no comment. Android is different. Its not like jb at all. With root You get full system access and can truly mess up your phone if you do something wrong.
Your contacts are already backed up to google if you have sync on. You can only backup apps with data after root. Messages you can back up with an app, there are plenty in the play store. Like SMS backup and restore. For picture backup, open the app that says photos and looks like a multi colored pinwheel, and turn on backup in it, done.
To backup files just plug in to your PC. No more iTunes needed ever again. Your phone will open just like another folder in windows file explorer. Just copy and paste where you want to backup.

Upvote 0
I need a visual voicemail solution for AICP 7.0 for d2lte, the VVM app from the stock ROM has been working for me on other ROMs such as LiquidSmooth, but not on AICP KitKat. My wife's phone has aicp_d2lte_kitkat-7.0-NIGHTLY-20141110 installed, and the VM APNs and MMS fix applied.

Dialing into voicemail works, but there's no notification that there are new voicemails, and the Visual Voicemail app doesn't register that there are voicemails either. Google Voice/Hangouts is a no-go, same with Youmail. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
thanks again for all this info.

Just wondered if anyone happens to have a current link to the latest/last Liquid Smooth 4.3 Jelly Bean kernel and same for Quantum (Jelly Bean kernel). I can't find them on their xda threads nor elsewhere on the interwebs, all the focus is KK and beyond. I was surprised to not at least find links to the old ones.

thanks

Upvote 0
thanks again for all this info.

Just wondered if anyone happens to have a current link to the latest/last Liquid Smooth 4.3 Jelly Bean kernel and same for Quantum (Jelly Bean kernel). I can't find them on their xda threads nor elsewhere on the interwebs, all the focus is KK and beyond. I was surprised to not at least find links to the old ones.

thanks
Jellybean has no support anymore. You'll be lucky to find KitKat support. All attention is to lollipop now. Any reason you want to run something as old as 4.3? I mean the security holes alone. Not to mention very limited support for Google now integration.

Upvote 0
Jellybean has no support anymore. You'll be lucky to find KitKat support. All attention is to lollipop now. Any reason you want to run something as old as 4.3? I mean the security holes alone. Not to mention very limited support for Google now integration.

The security CVES that I'm aware of for JB don't concern me the way I use my devices.

I know it's considered blasphemy but I'm not on the android gets faster with better battery life with every revision bandwangon :). I generally don't like any type of change for the sake of change when it comes to software, which I feel like unfortunately android is doing its fare share of. I know generally everyone else wants more "stuff" and eye candy however.

For what I do JB is generally snappier, with a few exceptions such as on SlimKat or Quantum ROM. It may just be a personal preference thing as I've run benchmarks on a few of my devices and KK "wins", yet JB still feels faster no matter how extensively I tweak KK (Lollipop does seem surprisingly fast so far).

As far as google now, I don't use that nor any type of social media etc. Most of the stuff I use is more utilitarian or developer centric.

Maybe I just need to do my own ROM something CM based and equivalent to Ubuntu's LTS versions. Anwyay I'm rambling and getting off topic, thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
Google now isn't social media. It's the Android voice assistant. Also serves up relevant "cards" with info like weather or recent research topics. I find it very useful. In lollipop it can even turn system settings on and off.
I can say "text my wife I'll be home in a minute" and it does. Useful when driving.
I don't use social media either. I started running lollipop because of the integration with the services I use. You'd be surprised at how advanced lollipop is getting. It makes jb (to me anyways) feel like a feature phone, pre smart phone. But we all have preferences. I hope you do make a rom. I, for one, would be happy to test for you.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the epic bump, bu whats the latest on rooting the s3 on VM? I've tried the method laid out in the OP, but something isn't working. When I try to load the SuperSU boot it tries a couple times and says failed, then says something else that flashes up fast and says "install from SD card success" and boots up. I then try to open the SuperSU app and it says the binary isn't installed. When I go into download mode it says custom however.

One thing that is different or that I can't figure out in the OP is the PDA button in Odin, I can't find it. Has anybody tried this method lately or is their a more recent method?

All I want is Ad Block, Greenify, and to remove some bloatware really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones