• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] All-In-One Custom ROM User Guide

didn't notice if this was answered, I may have overlooked it. does this method only work for aosp roms? or if there is a touchwiz rom that can be found and edited to be flashed on our phones? sorry if this is a dumb question... just wondering.

No such thing as a dumb question! This method is only needed for AOSP, TouchWiz ROMs don't have assert lines. So, if you want to flash Wicked Sensations, MOAR, or the stock/Knox free from @jdsingle76, just download and flash. The TW ROMs are huge just FYI, and take longer to boot the first time.

Upvote 0
So the question posed by @nab2385 a couple of posts back is a good segue into what is currently happening in the world of ROM development for AOSP based ROM's. The new trend is to have unified builds, which are able to be flashed for all U.S. carriers, instead of a build for Sprint, a build for T Mobile, a build for AT&T, etc., etc. This is good news from the standpoint of ROM devs being able to focus on what goes into each ROM, as opposed to tweaking various aspects of the same ROM in order to make it work for each specific carrier. However, for the bastard children of Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile, whose devices are known as d2vmu, there continues to be little or no love. These new ROM builds, known as d2lte for the Samsung Galaxy S3, still contain an assert which does a compatible device check, I assume to prevent an international S3 from flashing one for the U.S. carriers. This device check does not contain d2vmu as an allowed device, so it will still be necessary to remove or edit this line in order to flash. Perhaps it is time (or really past time) to make our voices heard as well-contact the dev of your favorite ROM and let them know of our specific situation. If enough of us pipe up, hopefully they will add that one little extra bit to the assert line in the current updater-script. As always, be polite and appreciative of their hard work, don't demand anything-while it is a slight pain in the butt to have to do what we do in order to make custom ROM's flash properly, it is a rather minor thing in the grand scheme, but it would be nice to be included in the recognized SGS3 family. And also as always, happy flashing!

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
well it worked out great, are sprint kernels also able to be flashed ? any i should avoid?

I personally highly recommend dkp kernel, decimalman (the dev) is currently actively working on an improved TW 4.3 kernel, and his kernel builds for 4.4 AOSP are phenomenal.

File Contents of http://download.xstefen.net/files/./decimalman/dkp

Make sure to choose the correct folder depending on if you are running a ROM based on 4.3 TW or 4.4 AOSP.

Side note: big thanks to @xstefen for providing a new file hosting site for decimalman and his awesome kernel builds!

Upvote 0
struckn,
So, with the new d2lte builds, do we remove all lines before the following?

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform

Also, I was reading about these lte builds and from what I understand it has everything for all of the variants in the install files but looks at the build.prop to know which files to install depending on your particular variant. Won't that screw us up because our variant isn't one of the one's it looks for and, therefore, it won't know which files to install?

I may be totally wrong on this but wanted to know before I start flashing the lte builds.

Upvote 0
struckn,
So, with the new d2lte builds, do we remove all lines before the following?

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform

Also, I was reading about these lte builds and from what I understand it has everything for all of the variants in the install files but looks at the build.prop to know which files to install depending on your particular variant. Won't that screw us up because our variant isn't one of the one's it looks for and, therefore, it won't know which files to install?

I may be totally wrong on this but wanted to know before I start flashing the lte builds.

Some users have flashed these using the latest Philz and didn't have to delete the assert device checks. I have been removing the asserts still just because I am already opening the zip to debloat and what not anyway. Have flashed the first two Carbon d2lte builds with zero problems, so have no fears there. CyanogenMod is starting d2lte builds tonight as well just FYI.

Reactions: GreyCelt
Upvote 0
Some users have flashed these using the latest Philz and didn't have to delete the assert device checks. I have been removing the asserts still just because I am already opening the zip to debloat and what not anyway. Have flashed the first two Carbon d2lte builds with zero problems, so have no fears there. CyanogenMod is starting d2lte builds tonight as well just FYI.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm on CM11 and I've already downloaded the d2lte nightly for today (20140218) and it's ready to flash after I modified it. I just wanted some input on whether or not other changes needed to be made to the file. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
For fans of Vanir ROM out there, the devs behind this ROM are now also on the "unified" d2lte bandwagon as of this week, bringing the number or ROM's that I am aware of using d2lte to four-Carbon, CyanogenMod, LiquidSmooth, and Vanir. Looks like development is definitely heading in the right direction, hopefully the issues with LTE not sticking after reboots will be fixed soon for those lucky enough to live in an area with LTE!

Edit: while they don't have any builds available in the folder yet, PAC ROM does have a folder labelled d2lte as of yesterday (2/19/2014).

Edit #2: just checked Commotio ROM (from same devs as Vanir I am pretty sure, at least they are linked on XDA and use the same file host server) and they are also doing d2lte builds.

Upvote 0
didn't notice if this was answered, I may have overlooked it. does this method only work for aosp roms? or if there is a touchwiz rom that can be found and edited to be flashed on our phones? sorry if this is a dumb question... just wondering.

Most all of the Sprint TouchWiz ROMs will flash on your phone with little to no extra work. You may need to flash a modem and do an MMS fix but that is easy. TouchWiz ROMs do not require the removal of asserts thankfully.

2 nice Sprint ROMs I recommend are MOAR and Wicked Sensations.

Upvote 0
OH MY GOD!! Check out this YouTube video, be warned there is a bit of foul language, but this is so spot on for any user who has bashed their head against the wall over idiots demanding help for their botched root issue when they have no clue what they did and expect experienced users to sacrifice their valuable free time and just fix the problem!

Trying to give a, Phone Idiot, Support - YouTube

I just about peed my pants watching this!

Upvote 0
OH MY GOD!! Check out this YouTube video, be warned there is a bit of foul language, but this is so spot on for any user who has bashed their head against the wall over idiots demanding help for their botched root issue when they have no clue what they did and expect experienced users to sacrifice their valuable free time and just fix the problem!

Trying to give a, Phone Idiot, Support - YouTube

I just about peed my pants watching this!

That was awesome lol couldn't stop laughing the entire time

"I did read, but I didn't understand it, so I did it anyway" lol

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
I installed the above described ROM. And everything is AWESOME with it. EXCEPT a working camera......... Is there a tweak I can install to get it working. ?

First I'd say ur info says a different device which if that's the case you flashed a bunch of stuff not for your device in which case I'm amazed it isn't bricked lol but I'll just assume that you never changed your info lol

If your speaking of the JD's stock Roms the cameras work fine as I recall and the Roms haven't had any updates which could possibly explain a break

Most likely if I had to guess, something didn't take properly during flash and a fresh clean install may fix it

Upvote 0
Updated first two posts in this thread and retitled the thread as well in order to more accurately reflect the current state of ROMs and development now that KitKat has been fairly well established. Post number three is still a work in progress in terms of updating the list of ROMs and appropriate links.

Upvote 0
Damn, that sucks to hear. Are there any other messaging apps that work and are comparable to stock messaging?

Hangouts has actually grown on me quite a bit, and it just flat-out "works" without any fiddling around besides our need to flash an APN fix. Evolve is nice with lots of options, but can't automatically handle the handoff from LTE to 3G when it comes to MMS. Some people will recommend 8SMS as a close look-alike to stock, but I thought it looked a little "off" visually and didn't care for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones