• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Rom][Stock]VM Stock Roms 4.1.2

I downloaded and flashed Deodexed_Stock-LS720V8.zip on (11/6/14) but the software version still says LS720V7. I am still getting update notifications and fotakill doesnt seem to work

You need to to factory wipe and wipe Dalvik cache before you install the stock rom otherwise you will run into issues like this.

Upvote 0
If you did factory reset, and wipe dalvik cache, do it again
I reset and wiped and I found that the fotakill issue was when I copied it to my sd card from the PC(both internal and external).
When using es explorer(with root access) to copy to the /system/app it would copy 0.0b. I had to go to the site on the phone and download it and it appears to be working :)

On a separate note when flashing either odexed or deodexed Stock with cwmt 6.0.4.8 it would never give any indication that it was working or that it had finished it would hang on this screen
ByomsJL.png

After several hours I powered off and started normally and the fresh install worked.

The version is still LS720V7 but I guess that it doesnt matter since fotakill is working
GPGBZyU.png

Upvote 0
Not to side track the issue but I noticed that you didn't format the system. For a clean install you must format system/ as well as data/ and cache/ partitions. The system partition is the most important one to wipe clean. In fact I've been told by many rom dev's it's better to wipe 'everything' more then once. They say it makes sure any residual is deleted. Might help cut down on a possible corrupt install too. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Still reeling from the "dark side of the moon" we encountered (XenForo), lol.

Upvote 0
That make me think that the rom didn't even install. That's very strange indeed.
I was wondering that too. the rom was rooted from the start but I dont see super su

Not to side track the issue but I noticed that you didn't format the system. For a clean install you must format system/ as well as data/ and cache/ partitions.
Is there an option in cwmt to do this? The only options I see are
  • reboot system now
  • apply update from external sdcard
  • apply update from catche
  • apply update from ADB
  • wipe data/factory reset
  • wipe cache partition
Would I format using the computer some how?

EDIT: Turns out that the cwmt that i installed when ver7 came out
OyWPkdH.png

wasnt actually the the right one.
I just reflashed with flashify and the updated img that gherkaul posted and use AdvancedStock7. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@xclusive36

Can the V8 of this rom be flashed with TWRP?

I recently got a F3 from FreedomPop during a $30 promotion. The phone ships with a deodexed v8 rooted ROM, and TWRP recovery. They do not provide this rom for re-flashing, and did not include a superuser profiler in it, so apps run unchecked with root privileges. This led to my son running a bunch of app2sd scripts and ruining the startup. It's now pretty useless.

I can configure their service using any ROM, and yours looks like its the safest / closest to stock. I want the most basic, best battery, stable ROM I can get and I'll take it from there with some modifications.

Would you recommend I use your V8 deodexed ROM from this thread in my position, and if so can I use TWRP or should I switch to CWM?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@xclusive36

Can the V8 of this rom be flashed with TWRP?

I recently got a F3 from FreedomPop during a $30 promotion. The phone ships with a deodexed v8 rooted ROM, and TWRP recovery. They do not provide this rom for re-flashing, and did not include a superuser profiler in it, so apps run unchecked with root privileges. This led to my son running a bunch of app2sd scripts and ruining the startup scripts. It's now pretty useless.

I can configure their service using any ROM, and yours looks like its the safest / closest to stock. I want the most basic, best battery, stable ROM I can get and I'll take it from there with some modifications.

Would you recommend I use your V8 deodexed ROM from this thread in my position, and if so can I use TWRP or should I switch to CWM?

Thanks.

It can. It sounds like they're just using the stock rom and twrp I put to together. Both cwmt and twrp work great on this phone. You can switch to v8 odex but it will change your apns settings to virgin mobile. You'll need to flash the freedompop zip posted in the cm10 thread afterwards in cwmt or twrp to reset back to freedompop.

Upvote 0
Hi xclusive36,

I'm tying to UNbrick an LG VM720 that is stuck in Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 mode using a method described in this thread. http://androidforums.com/threads/fi...in-qualcomm-hs-usb-qdloader-9008-mode.917904/

The link to the stock .bin file is dead.

All I can find on the net is the matching .CAB file: http--//csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW571486573210987654321/LS720ZV5_00.S5_00.P25013.cab

Question:
Is there any way to take your Stock V5 rom file and convert it to the .bin file needed in this procedure?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones