• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virus alerts on my Samsung Galaxy S20

so there really is no need for anti virus software on an android phone. the only thing you need to be careful is what you download and install on your phone. i have been using android since its inception. i don't use and such software and i have never had anything such issues with virus or malware.

check to see if you have macafee installed or not. if you do, i would delete it. if you feel that something nefarious is going on, i would backup all of your data, change your passwords and setup two step verification where you can, and then hard reset your phone.

Last edited:

metroidRoid2

Sep 30, 2017
Picture attached. Are these virus alerts real or a scam?

How do I get rid of these?

Attachments

• Virus alerts.png
    Virus alerts.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 29
what app are you using? is it from guranters?

if so, then its a scam. i would uninstall anything from them.

Upvote 0
so there really is no need for anti virus software on an android phone. the only thing you need to be careful is what you download and install on your phone. i have been using android since its inception. i don't use and such software and i have never had anything such issues with virus or malware.

check to see if you have macafee installed or not. if you do, i would delete it. if you feel you something nefarious is going on, i would backup all of your data, change your passwords and setup two step verification where you can, and then hard reset your phone.
I did a search on McAfee and nothing came up.

These virus notifications came up after I visited some website (I can't remember which one). I don't recall entering a password there so it seems like these notifications came up just by visiting that website, so I'm thinking that my passwords may not be compromised.

How do you set up 2 step verification?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a search on McAfee and nothing came up.

These virus notifications came up after I visited some website (I can't remember which one). I don't recall entering a password there so it seems like these notifications came up just by visiting that website, so I'm thinking that my passwords may not be compromised.

How do you set up 2 step verification?
ok so these are website malware which is a good thing in a way. i would close your browser and wipe the browser's cache and data as well.

2 step verification will depend if the app or accounts that you have, offers one.

Upvote 0
So, like when are you getting these alerts? Or is there an app that you are using that is showing this? This is most likely from a rogue app that was recently installed or from a website.
As stated, clear the cache and data from your browser, reboot and see if it still happens.
Moving forward, I would also install an ad blocker from the play store or something like Adguard, from their website, adguard.com and install it from there. I use Adguard and never any issues such as this.

Upvote 0
When I click on any of those messages about a virus I get the attached pic.

Should I click on SCAN in the attached pic? I don't remember installing McAfee on my Samsung Galaxy S20.

"Customuze"

Incorrect spelling is always indicative of a scam. This is NOT McAfee, do NOT install it.

Upvote 0
So, like when are you getting these alerts? Or is there an app that you are using that is showing this? This is most likely from a rogue app that was recently installed or from a website.
As stated, clear the cache and data from your browser, reboot and see if it still happens.
Moving forward, I would also install an ad blocker from the play store or something like Adguard, from their website, adguard.com and install it from there. I use Adguard and never any issues such as this.
I cleared the browser's cache and restarted the phone. I am still getting those notifications about the virus.

Then I searched for 'reset' and selected 'Reset all settings' and I'm still getting these notifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then do a factory reset

I just did this. I guess this was the only way.

On my laptop, I go to that website called 'Smart Things Find' for Samsung which can locate your phone. I'm testing it, but when I click 'track location' it's not connecting to my phone for some reason. After running for a while, eventually it says 'tracking stopped.'

Any idea what is going on here?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones