• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Did You Get For Christmas 2023

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
I think I could be a millionaire

scratchoff.jpg

I'm just giving love this Christmas. I've been laid up all of December and haven't had any opportunity to shop. It's been a real downer for me. I hate shopping but I enjoy gifting. We never exchange expensive gifts... little items that can be of use or bring a smile is more our gifting nature. The grandkids and great grandkids get the goodies. The adults... we give and get heart felt hugs and kisses.

Upvote 0
I built a new gaming pc prior to my medical leave beginning, that was my x-mas present this year. I knew I needed to do so beforehand as I wouldn't be able to afterwards for awhile. It's all together except a new GPU as there are some new ones releasing in about a month that will affect the price/performance/longevity ratio so that is next on my list. I did get a new 32" 1440p gaming monitor yesterday for almost half-price so I'll have a nice gaming and productivity setup for the next few years. I usually do a full upgrade every 3-4 years with incremental parts upgrades as needed/wanted.
  • Ryzen 7700 CPU
  • MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk Wifi Motherboard
  • Corsair DDR5 6000 Mhz Expo Ram 32gb
  • MSI MPG A1000G PSU
  • Corsair MP600 NVME w/ Heatsink (1x1tb, 1x2tb)
  • Crucial T500 1tb NVME
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow non-RGB Case
  • XPG Gammix X70 Blade NVME 2tb
  • NZXT Kraken 280mm Liquid AIO Cooler
  • LG UltraGear 32" Monitor (1440P)
  • (Future) Likely an Nvidia RTX 4070 TI SUPER GPU

The younger kiddos got all the other good stuff, new gaming laptops (we are a family of PC gamers). My son got my old gaming computer which was a substantial upgrade for him and lets the system still be used for a few more years hopefully.

My other x-mas gift will be a new work laptop from my employer. My current one freezes sometimes copying and pasting single text cells in Excel sometimes, it's 7 years old and way under powered, especially since they expect me to run statistical analysis software on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well i did not get these on xmas day, but i got myself a 65" sony TV, a Sol elliptical, and a very nice 3-piece set of Hexclad frying pans. i also got lots of money from my clients, boss and family.

overall a very nice xmas haul......lol

My wife bought 3 Hexclad pans. They take a while to get use to. She said lower heat was important, especially with eggs and she switched from olive oil to avocado oil

Upvote 0
My wife bought 3 Hexclad pans. They take a while to get use to. She said lower heat was important, especially with eggs and she switched from olive oil to avocado oil
yep been using for a few weeks now. i got it during their black friday sale (or was it cyber monday?). they are heavy and i love the fact that i do not need higher heat. i have not seared a steak on it yet, but that will be coming soon....lol

Upvote 0
I'll bet! Here in Middle Tennessee there were a lot of skirmishes, along with major battles, during the Civil War. General Patton's troops trained here for the liberation of Europe at Camp Forest, which was located on what is now Arnold Air Force Base. Plenty of opportunities to dig up some incredible history!

Upvote 0
I bought my wife one of those Kodak Printers for a smartphone. It prints a postcard size picture. The pictures are real sharp

Here's a pic of the Kodak Printer I bought her and two photos she just printed off her phone

kodakdock.png

kodakprinter.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I was a young teen my father was gifted a metal detector from his friends on Christmas. When the party was slowing down, my father tossed a quarter out into the front yard and proceeded to hunt for it with his new gift. I found it for him the following day when the sun was shining. :) It was a cheap and early model that was basically a toy that didn't work. I still laugh about it sixty years later.

Upvote 0
My sister's LG smart TV got smashed by someone trying to swat a fly with a spatula, and she had picked up a used Plasma thinking it'd replace it, but found out it was much, much too heavy for her walls, and while a smart TV as well, didn't have Wifi, only Ethernet (it's from 2011) so it was taking up space in her garage. I've always wanted a Plasma set, but they seem to be pretty extinct in the used market. It's also an LG, and a very nice one, albeit dirty.

While it needed some much-desired cleaning and polishing, and the Plasma display apparently hadn't been turned on in ages (was foggy, colours were off, brightness off, no sharpness whatsoever, and 'glowy' text issues) after running for a few hours, it has become as beautiful as I imagined it would. It was NOT easy to lift mind you, this being a 65" TV. About threw out my back getting it out of my truck and into the living room, but it was FREE for me. She was gonna toss it.

Darn. I wanted to post a pic but the blasted forum has suddenly decided that any photo from my Z Flip 4 is 'too large'

OK they're gonna probably be potato quality but it's sadly the best I could do

20231226_172058.jpg

20231226_105918.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MeTV is where it's at (y) (y) (y)
People always asked me when I was still using a CRT 'why don't you upgrade to 4K or Atmos?' and I just respond 'over half my library is black and white shows from the 50s, and I prefer to watch classic TV, all of which is in standard def, and would look awful on a 4K TV. MeTV sadly has the worst quality being broadcast (looks like 240p YouTube) and is unwatchable on any 4K set I tried (one came with the house, now it's in a closet) This behemoth can make even the lowest quality look almost 4K with some picture tweaking.

Nobody understands.

Upvote 0
I think that one is on cable. There is also 'Antenna TV' (which plays shows like Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, and All in the Family) but I never could pick that one up. I got it via DXing once, but it fizzled out a couple of hours later (darned digital TV).

I got Mama's Family on a DVD the entire series.

I used to be a huge fan of Designing Women and a few other Lifetime TV shows back in the '90s, but apparently, Lifetime is "television for women"

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
I call it Wifetime. It's either a movie about "evil abusive husband seeks to destroy wife after she takes the kids" or "predictable romantic comedy with the same 'plink-plink' music soundtrack as every other predictable romantic comedy". Problem is, it drove the Darling Bride to watching every crime show on television... and now she knows how to kill me and not get caught!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least during the Christmas movie season, the weather on Wifetime movies is 100% chance of snow... starting at the very end of the movie, immediately after the romantic interests finally kiss...

:p

@AugieTN well, did your lottery tickets win anything? Your oh-so-best buddies on Android Forums/Early Bird Club/the Big Daily Net thing wanna know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones