• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is one gadget that all smart homes should have?

Voice assistant (Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant)
.....so you have an amazon echo??????

every google device will have google assistant.

i actually have both the echo and google's home mini.

i have the home mini in by bedroom as well as outside on my porch where i chill the most. the echo is in the family room.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
A really excellent block of ice, so you can make it an ice pick for those who invaded your house, and set Alexa to play off beat scary music, and movies when they entered, dim the lights and change them to a off tone chrinsom color, and an intelligent person behind of all that. For about everything else, I would say an app for doorbell, and ontop of that a few of those drones for security. A flash gernade for non smoke detectors, ontop of that.. Well basically what you will have in mind with your cellphone, tablet, et all.

Sorry for getting that evil anyways.. Oh well I better just chill out in the porch.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
I think every smart home should have a "smart chair. Most of the time we sit at home and it is very important what we sit on. There are many new chairs that are equipped with charging, bluetooth, sub-buffer, massager. And you can lie on it, you can sit in any comfortable position, it vibrates. There are even some that are heated. But I don't have one at home. I get high, racing around my studio apartment in my chair. Even made a special table for it :D:cool::cool:

Upvote 0
A really excellent block of ice, so you can make it an ice pick for those who invaded your house, and set Alexa to play off beat scary music, and movies when they entered, dim the lights and change them to a off tone chrinsom color, and an intelligent person behind of all that. For about everything else, I would say an app for doorbell, and ontop of that a few of those drones for security. A flash gernade for non smoke detectors, ontop of that.. Well basically what you will have in mind with your cellphone, tablet, et all.

Sorry for getting that evil anyways.. Oh well I better just chill out in the porch.
Did I type that lol.....

Upvote 0
what does that have to do with smart homes?
If you have routines for your home such as turning lights on or off, opening or closing shades, turning a sprinkler system on or off, etc, the virtual switch can give you other options for triggers. For example, you could use an integration with IFTTT to flip a virtual switch on or off based on the current outdoor temperature, so that if the temperature is above a specific degree, your house will automatically close your shades (assuming you don't have a temperature sensor outside that you could use). Essentially, you could have a virtual switch represent any condition as a true false and use that in your routines.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you have routines for your home such as turning lights on or off, opening or closing shades, turning a sprinkler system on or off, etc, the virtual switch can give you other options for triggers. For example, you could use an integration with IFTTT to flip a virtual switch on or off based on the current outdoor temperature, so that if the temperature is above a specific degree, your house will automatically close your shades (assuming you don't have a temperature sensor outside that you could use). Essentially, you could have a virtual switch represent any condition as a true false and use that in your routines.
but you need a program and a computer for all of that, right? or are there apps out there that can do this?

Upvote 0
The Amish, the Exclusive Brethren, and probably there are other extreme religious sects as well who shun electricity, and basically still live in the 17th or 18th century, and seem quite happy.
That's funny, because the last group of Amish I saw were getting out of a pretty modern Chevrolet Equinox. Only their clothing was still period-correct. Oh, and some use smartphones.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones