• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A hot cereal from the 1970s?

In the mid-'70s, there was a hot cereal that I'd eat every single day; I LOVED it. It was kind of granola-ish, but not really. I remember it had coconut, dates(?) or raisins, and it came in the same type of packets today's hot cereals do, i.e., a 10- or 12-pack box of individual bags; you'd add hot water to the contents of a bag--or two, in my case, I liked it so much!--stir it up, add a pat of butter and eat.

For the life of me, I cannot recall its name! And it's been driving me crazy (crazier?) for ages! I've tried searching Wikipedia, Google, blogs devoted to cereal through the decades, etc., but I've come up empty.

The words 'harvest' and 'morning' always come to mind when I think of it, but that may or may not mean anything.

Can anyone either tell me from personal memory what this was, or point me to a way to figure it out? It definitely was *not* a child-targeted cereal, you know, like "Super-Duper Sugary Blinkos!" or anything like that; it was a 'wholesome' adult-oriented cereal, but kids loved it, too.

Last edited:
I remembered something--and just acted on it.

A long time ago, I was at a friend's house and he had a 'brand name calorie counter' book. I remember thumbing through it, looking for this cereal's name--and it was there! Unfortunately, that was 40 years ago...and I don't remember it any more.

BUT!!!

I narrowed down a search on Amazon for brand name calorie counter books from the late '70s, and found one that might be it! I've ordered it, but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. I wish I had thought about this before posting. Oh well. *shrug* Still interested in hearing any ideas/suggestions you may have!

Upvote 0
malt-o-meal?????

maltomeal.jpg

Upvote 0
malt-o-meal?????

maltomeal.jpg

Definitely not! But I did like Malt-o-Meal, if that counts for anything. :D

No, this cereal I'm thinking of had lots of interesting ingredients and textures. It wasn't at all like Cream of Wheat or Malt-o-Meal, smooth, one texture. If I had to compare it to anything, it would be more oatmeal-ish, but not really. As I said earlier, granola-ish but not really.

I keep thinking "Harvest Morning" or something like that, but nothing similar has turned up.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It could be like Grape Nuts that could / can be eaten hot or cold
No--go back to my OP and you'll note that it came in individual packets, just like today's hot cereals, that you added hot water to in a bowl. Good thought, though!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Heartland Natural Cereal is another possibility with those ingredients, but it also didn't come in packets.

Other then flavored Quaker instant oatmeal I'm not seeing many that came in multiple packets.

It could be like Grape Nuts that could / can be eaten hot or cold
Yeah I think it would work hot or cold.

Upvote 0
Nope. And it definitely wasn't a mainstream name. I mean the name of the cereal was not a mainstream kind, like Cream of Wheat or Roman Meal or Malt-o-Meal. But the *brand* may have been mainstream, like Kellogg's or Quaker Oats. That's why I got so excited when I saw @kate's suggestion of Kellogg's Country Morning. Everything about it was perfect...except it wasn't a hot cereal.

Upvote 0
Could it have been eaten hot as a variation?
No. It was *DEFINITELY* in individual packets that you poured into a bowl, added hot water to, and ate. Just like today's 'instant' hot cereals/oatmeal.

But since we're on the topic, has anyone [besides me] ever tried eating Life cereal hot? I LOVE IT!! I like Cinnamon Life, and I experimented with it years ago, heating it up with milk, stirring until all the pieces fell apart, turning it into a smooth, yummy hot cereal. Throw in some raisins and it's extra good! I haven't had that in years, but this thread reminded me of it. :)

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I have always loved Cream Of Wheat with butter, sugar, and salt.

I put it on buttered toast.
OMFG!!! I thought I was the only person who ever did that! That was my very favorite way to eat Cream of Wheat as a child. :D

And when I say butter, I mean real butter- not some nasty vegetable oil substitute.
Yeah, well, you know...if I did it now, it would be a vegan butter alternative--but they're NOT nasty!! :p

Upvote 0
OMFG!!! I thought I was the only person who ever did that! That was my very favorite way to eat Cream of Wheat as a child. :D

Yeah, well, you know...if I did it now, it would be a vegan butter alternative--but they're NOT nasty!! :p

Hahaha, yes they are extremely nasty, lol.

The proof is that they try to taste like butter, but not like themselves!

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones