• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A hot cereal from the 1970s?

Hahaha, yes they are extremely nasty, lol.

The proof is that they try to taste like butter, but not like themselves!
You just haven't tried any good ones! :D

Yuck.

Here, let's try it this way...

I have invented a toilet paper substitute.
It is softer than real toilet paper, and is easier to use.

But, it doesn't clean as well, and you will get poop on your hand when you use it.

What can I do to convince the masses that it is better than real toilet paper?

The same thing they did with butter, then eggs, aspirin, and more- propaganda.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
IMG_20211213_232119_265.jpg

Upvote 0
What you're all forgetting is that *I* wouldn't eat butter if you paid me to do it. Or any other animal product. So for 34 years, it's been about finding *delicious* foods, not to exactly replicate the 'real' version, but to be good on its own merits. And I've been very successful, as any omnivore who's ever eaten a meal I've cooked will attest! I actually have a problem with the new-fangled realistic 'meat analogs (or substitutes)'--like Impossible and Beyond--because their resemblance to real dead sentient beings makes me sick. But I understand why they're making these products--and they've been wildly successful. The last stats I read on their sales showed that 70% of their customers are omnivores--not vegans/vegetarians as you'd expect.

For me, I prefer meat alternatives, dairy alternatives, etc. Like the Silk soy (or almond) milk 'yogurt' I eat every day, or the Gardein 'meatless meat' products that I adore, like their 'nuggets' which I eat with sweet and sour sauce. They're delicious on their own merits, and whenever I'm coaching a new vegetarian/vegan, I tell them NOT to compare these products to what they're used to, i.e., don't expect veggie burgers to look/taste EXACTLY like real burgers, just enjoy them for their own taste.

As for the toilet paper analogy, you've got it all wrong @puppykickr! If toilet paper was made by abusing/torturing animals and then inhumanely slaughtering them, I wouldn't use it. I'd find an alternative. Not a cheap, awful version that doesn't work as I expect. Because the point for people like me is to NOT ABUSE sentient beings. If I had to eat dirt, if that was my only choice, I'd do that over torture and kill animals.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
View attachment 162330
Here it is, just found it online- discontinued but came out in late 1970’s….was excellent….
Thanks, but....no. That's not it.

First, its name definitely doesn't ring a bell, nor does its packaging. But much more importantly is that it "cooks in 5 minutes"--mine was in individual packets and cooked instantly by adding boiling water, just like today's instant cereals. Good try though! I appreciate the effort. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Update: I ordered not one, but two copies of the book I mentioned [somewhere in this thread], a brand-name calorie counter book from the '70s. On Amazon, its publication date was shown as 1978, which would've been perfect. However, the first one I received was published in 1969--way before this cereal ever existed. The second was from...????....I can't remember, but either too long before or after this cereal could've existed. I gave up. There were several other sellers with copies, but after receiving the first one, and realizing that the date shown on its Amazon page was meaningless, I specifically asked the second seller to open the book and read its list of publication dates, and make SURE the latest date was in the 1977, 1978, 1979 range. It didn't help. So I gave up. For now.

Upvote 0

Nope. Not even close! :eek:

But I do remember Maypo from childhood. :)

BTW, I've ordered a THIRD copy of that book, this one on Biblio, and it's SUPPOSED to have a release date in the timeframe I'm looking for. I'll see when it gets here!

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
You crack me up, @ocnbrze! Dingle Berries?! :D

As for the *third* copy of that book I ordered....unlike its publication date of 1978 as shown on its Biblio page, it was actually released in 1969. The seller was very nice, refunded all my costs, and didn't require that I send it back. I'm still looking....

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones