• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android update messed up Car Kit (Parrot CK3100)

vidapura

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
HI,
Hopefully someone can help me with this frustration...
Did the latest update on my Samsung J5 yesterday.
Its screwed up the way the phone works with my Parrot CK3100 car kit.

I used to be able to push the green button on the car kit.. and that would initiate the Parrot's own voice prompt asking me to speak the contact name. That used the recorded speech tags on the contacts in the CK3100's memory.

But now when I press the green button the stupid google assistant jumps in and tries to google stuff...
Incredibly annoying..

I have tried setting he default assistant app to None. .. but now when I press the green button all that does is throw up a dialog box telling me to set the default assistance app to Google ...
So I'm going around in circles...

Can anyone please tell me how to get it to go back to the way it was before the update?

It seems that a lot of people requested for the green button to launch Google Assistant so they added this as a feature years ago. Before trying to find a workaround I think it begs the question: can you accomplish the same thing (and more) using Google Assistant?

What final outcome are you TRYING to achieve when you press the Green Button?

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
From the description I'd guess that the OP was trying to voice dial contacts that were stored in the car kit itself.

It seems odd if the car kit is unable to access its own features as a result of a phone update, so does the car kit have settings of its own (maybe controllable through the phone)? It sounds like a default action has been changed, presumably due to the way the updated phone presents itself to the car kit, which is why I wonder whether there's a setting in the car kit to define what pressing that button does?

I'm sure Google Assistant can do voice dialling. But personally I don't use Assistant so am sympathetic to someone who maybe doesn't want to, and also curious about a third-party accessory that previously had this functionality itself seeming to now force you to use Assistant. If you don't use either Assistant or a Google Search app or widget then disabling the Google app kills Assistant completely. I don't know whether that would be enough to make it revert to the previous behaviour, or whether it will still prompt you - on my phone it removed prompts to enable Assistant, but I don't use a car kit (don't use my phone in a car) so can't say whether it would change how the kit responds to this.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones