• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

Wings sectioned and in a quick brine. I'll let them soak until 3:30ish, pat them dry and smoke them for 90 minutes.
1701528956615.png

Upvote 0
Oh, follow up thought. Do you have any sporting goods stores like Runnings, Cabellas, or Bass Pro around. They often have it around the grills and dehydrators.
I checked Dick's, Cabela's, Academy, and Scheels. Cabela's is the only outlet that has their own branded curing salt mixtures and they have many to choose from. I can get it shipped from Scheels.
I guess it just isn't in the cards this time. I'll order some from Amazon and be ready next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
just put a pork sirloin tip roast that i got from Costco in my woodfire grill. i'm gonna smoke it with a herbed honey mustard glaze. not sure on sides, but i'll probably just cook some glazed carrots and maybe a baked potato.......gonna feast today!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I screwed up! I ordered a gift bundle of USDA Prime beef for my sister... but somehow my billing address became the shipping address! So I have a freezer full of prime ribeyes and NY strips I get to grill. Looks like I'll pick a good day this week to throw some on the Weber for a nice dinner.

(Yes, I reordered the bundle and had it shipped to the right address. Her husband was a butcher but promoted to manager over the meat department, so he should appreciate this)

Upvote 0
Eating around my house has been a bit weird lately. Trying to squeak in just a bit healthier eating isn't easy. Last night I grilled some boneless skinless chicken thighs seasoned with S&P and garlic. I baked some broccoli florets that proved to be very good. I lightly tossed them in avocado oil and seasoned with coarse black pepper.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm smoking out a pork butt tomorrow. My normal pork rub has some salt which I'm not supposed to have any. I was cutting down but my cardiologist told me zero salt.... which isn't easy. I'll be making my own rub for the pork shoulder. I'm using a base of chili seasoning and brown sugar. I'll add some garlic and onion powder, paprika, and coarse red and black pepper. I'm looking forward to smoking some meat. I haven't smoked anything this month. I was all ready to smoke a whole packer when I had my heart attack.

Upvote 0
I put my pork shoulder on at seven this morning. It took it 5.5 hours to reach wrap temp of 160° smoking at 225°. It's a big roast that's very solid. I'm glad I put it on the smoker when I did. I ran to the market this morning in an attempt to find some BBQ sauce that had zero to very little salt. I came home with a bottle of Traeger Sweet & Spicy. It's still salty at 90mg per 2tbsp servings but that beat the other offerings hands down.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I removed the shoulder from the cooker to rest around a quarter after three. I let the meat reach 205° before calling it done. I have some potatoes baking and will pull the meat when they are done.

I cut the shoulder in half and pulled half and vac sealed and froze the other. It was a great shoulder... especially for the money. It was marked down to $13 something when I bought it and weighed over 8 pounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I exchanged gifts with my son today. He gifted me a beautiful bone in beef ribeye roast. It's a 5.13 pound mouth watering beauty! Sadly, I had to vac seal it for a future cook. It will give me some time to decide how I want to cook it. I'll likely do a prime rib cook on it. Can't go wrong with that cut.

Upvote 0
My son bought himself a bone in ribeye roast as well and cooked it today. He baked it in his oven because he's having a sooting problem with is smoker that he hasn't be able to fix. He baked it at 225° and when it reached his target temp he turned up the oven and put a reverse sear on it. He sent me a pic of a slice on his plate with some horsey sauce. It sure looked good! I'll likely do the same cook but on my smoker and finish sear on the Weber. My wife wanted me to butcher the roast into steaks before freezing. It would have likely been for the best but I want to do a prime rib cook.

Upvote 0
Yesterday, I had an enlightening conversation with the wife of one of best buds who has also suffered a heart attack. We discussed the drastic change in the flavors of foods particularly red meat. Not only does red meat tastes bad but actually tastes spoiled. I'm not alone in this sad turn of events. She confirmed that she suffered the same change and that red meat would make her ill and she could rarely keep it down if she consumed any. The good news is the wonderful taste of red meat slowly returns so I have that to look forward to. Be it a direct result of the attack or the recovery meds, the change was freaking me out. I'm glad that it's not permanent with a freezer full of red meat. :)

Upvote 0
It's been a month since I last cooked outside. I don't remember going that long between cooks in over a decade. They have my blood so thin that I freeze when I go outside. The cold and the lost taste for red meat has had me baking most all of my meals. I bought some cleaned raw shrimp that I might dance on the Blackstone soon. Add a bit of garlic and fried sounds great. I've also been thinking about stuffing some boneless skinless chicken thighs and smoking them in the special muffin pan I bought for the cook. Something cooked out sounds good and fun. Just give me a bit warmer temperatures and I'll be cooking on the patio again.

Upvote 0
I've had a change of plans. I baked cod last night so the wife and I are ready for a break from fish. Instead of shrimp, I plan to slice some chicken breasts in half in thickness and fry on the Blackstone. I don't plan on breading the breast filets. Instead I want to fall short of blackening them but putting just a hint of crisp on the edges and making sandwiches.

Upvote 0
I have not cooked or even looked at the cooking surface of my Blackstone since November... YIKES! I don't know how it has survived its idle time. I left it in great shape but there have been rains and humid conditions since. I plan to do a thorough high temp clean prior to my cook tonight. I might well need propane. I've been away from my outdoor kitchen far too long.

Upvote 0
My griddled chicken breasts were great. I cut the breasts in half thickness filets and further reduced their thickness some with a meat mallet. I seasoned them with garlic salt and smoked paprika. I fried them on high heat and removed them when they reached 170°. I served them on buns with a slice of swiss cheese. I cut some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with mayo for a spread and added some shredded lettuce to the chicken burgers. I will do the meal again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones