• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

geez how much stir fry are you cooking? for how many people?.......LOL 22" seems like enough for a small batch of stir fry. my 13.5" wok can make a huge batch of stir fry. i can't imagine a 22" cooking area being small.

Just wok it off :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
geez how much stir fry are you cooking? for how many people?.......LOL 22" seems like enough for a small batch of stir fry. my 13.5" wok can make a huge batch of stir fry. i can't imagine a 22" cooking area being small.
I cook for 5-10 people. 5 if I'm at home, 10+ if I'm camping. Big advantage of the 36" over the 22" is heating zones. I can have the rice and veggies warmed on the side, the other side super hot for searing shrimp and scallops, and the middle medium hot for steak, chicken, and frying eggs to mix in when it is time to combine all the goodies. I'll usually have a full 1/3 of the griddle with just rice and veggies.

22" I have to cook the rice and veggies and set them aside, cook the eggs and stir into the rice, then cook the meats.

Upvote 0
I'm fixing stir fry for two. The meal can be cooked in an eight inch skillet. It would take time and take some skill to serve hot. Twenty two inches is a lot of space but will quickly be consumed by a lot of meals. Stir fry, as Unforgiven pointed out, is a great example. To easily prepare the meal and everything served hot takes more cooking area and different heat zones. Cooking a typical rack of ribs or a pork butt on the smoker would be just fine. It would be the whole packer smoke or the multiple racks cook where that smoking surface would be too small. I think the Blackstone combo will make many outdoor cooks happy. It's not ideal for smoking or griddling but can be used for both cooks. It would be a good tool for people that want both a smoker and a griddle and want to conserve on patio space.

so tomorrow is my b-day and i am not sparing any expense for it. i plan on grilling some wagyu ribeyes and lobster. the steaks are pretty thin so the skill is going to be to get it grilled with good grill marks, but keep it at medium rare. and let me tell you, they were not cheap......but it is my B-day!!!!!! they are partially frozen, so they are in the fridge to thaw. i am going to pair them with a miso grilled ratatouille made with red bell peppers, eggplant, and yellow and green zucchini.

i also bought some bluefin otoro sashimi at my local asian market. it is the same place i bought the wagyu steaks as well. this is also an expensive sashimi cut. otoro is cut from the belly of the tuna and is very fatty and just melts in your mouth. this will be my appetizer.

gonna eat very good tomorrow.

has anybody cooked wagyu steaks before?

Happy Birthday a day early. I cooked wagyu twice. The first time I got the Weber ripping hot and did a cross hatch sear on both sides and ate it. It was very tender and so fatty it was buttery but it was very rare. Though good, I prefer my steaks warm in the center. I liked my second attempt much better. I seasoned the meat and put it on my smoker and let it gather smoke as it slowly warmed up. I put a quick sear in some garlic butter on the Blackstone. My served steak was around 120°. Though both cooks were great tasting, the second cook was where I like the steak temp. If I had seared the first steak just a little bit longer it would have been perfect too. I thought it was done and was so afraid of over cooking it that I pulled it off the flame just a bit too soon.

You are in for a treat.

Upvote 0
so tomorrow is my b-day and i am not sparing any expense for it.....

........has anybody cooked wagyu steaks before?
Happy Birthday

I have never seen Wagyu beef at any grocery store I shop at. Bison is the most exotic meat I have seen and at my local grocery stores, and I have bought a few Bison steaks and grilled them

Upvote 0
Happy Birthday

I have never seen Wagyu beef at any grocery store I shop at. Bison is the most exotic meat I have seen and at my local grocery stores, and I have bought a few Bison steaks and grilled them
thanx,

i was bumbed, my Cotsco had frozen Wagyu steaks about 3 or 4 weeks ago. i went to look for them yesterday and did not find them. luckily i knew that my asian market place carries them. they are much thinner pieces than the ones i saw at Costco, but i am not complaining.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
The Costco here rarely has wagyu but I have seen it there. Whole foods has wagyu sometimes. The place where it can be found most often here is a mom and pop meat market about an hour drive from here. It is close to where my son works so he shops for us. I went online just now and they currently are out of wagyu cuts. Everyone should enjoy a wagyu cut once in their life.

Upvote 0
The Costco here rarely has wagyu but I have seen it there. Whole foods has wagyu sometimes. The place where it can be found most often here is a mom and pop meat market about an hour drive from here. It is close to where my son works so he shops for us. I went online just now and they currently are out of wagyu cuts. Everyone should enjoy a wagyu cut once in their life.
i think for my b-day next year i might try ordering it online, if i can't find it locally. also you have to be careful on how the place you get it sells it. some will advertise it as wagyu when it could be american wagyu or some other kind of beef. you want either Kobe or Miyazakigyu and preferably A5 grade.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
It's been a few years ago that my son received a couple of wagyu steaks shipped to his door from an online seller as a gift from his brother in law. They must have got delayed in transit and were hot with no dry ice when he got them. He and his B-I-L contacted the seller and they shipped again but said they weren't responsible for shipping delays. That's the scary part of ordering.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I will be smoking my whole packer tomorrow. It is supposed to be a nice warm day with temps in the mid seventies and very little wind. It should be a great day to smoke some brisket and to ride my bike. I just put up my whetstones after sharpening my favorite carving knife. It was in dire need of sharpening. I'll use it tomorrow to separate the point from the flat prior to rubbing and smoking the brisket. It cooks a lot faster in two portions and they never reach target temp at the same time. It's not nearly as impressive looking as you are cooking it but I'm not out to impress anyone.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Six and a half hours for the point and seven hours and fifteen minutes for the flat. I took both brisket cuts to 205° without a wrap. The smoker was set at 250°. I put the point in my hotbox and we'll have some for dinner. I have the flat cooling and will vac seal and freeze the cut for future meals. I just had to have a slice of the point to see if I could eat the beef. Though it looked great and I want some badly, I had no idea without tasting it if it would taste good to me. It tasted great! Oh happy days!!

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
There was only 5 hours left at this point. Can't wait...
1708895670661.png

• Love
Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I hope you had a great B-Day. I was curious how your wagyu ribeye turned out? I hope it was everything and more than what you anticipated!
The steak turned out really good. But it was super thin. so instead of medium rare, the way I like my steaks normally, it came out medium in doneness. It was still good. I think all that fat kept the steak from drying out. I need more practice at cooking thin steaks to get that medium rareness that I like.

Upvote 0
I have some vac sealed chicken breasts thawing for tonight's dinner. The package is just under three pounds so it represents two meals or more. I plan to griddle some on the Blackstone tonight for fried chicken sandwiches. I'm not sure what I'll do with the remaining chicken. I want to do a stir fry but I'm having difficulty finding a veggie medley that looks good. Chicken and noodles sounds okay and so does chicken salad or chicken tacos. I'll figure something out. :)

Upvote 0
The chicken sandwiches were far better tasting than they sounded. I split the breasts in half thickness and worked it over with a meat hammer. I then seasoned the pieces with garlic salt, oregano, smoked paprika, and coarse black pepper. I griddled them in just a wee bit of a canula and avocado oil 50/50 mix and called them done when they reached 165° internal temp. Served on butter grilled buns with a slice of swiss cheese. Pretty easy dinner.... pretty good dinner.

Upvote 0
↑↑ YUM ↑↑

I went to the local Kroger Super Store this morning and found some stir fry veggies that looked half decent. Not near the blend I was getting from Costco but decent. Tonight I diced up the remaining chicken breasts, fried my veggies, and stirred the chicken in to get hot while I fried my rice.
We were so hungry for the dish that we landed on it like vultures. I ate entirely too much.

Upvote 0
I picked up my brisket today. Prices are outrageous. :( Anyway, I'll get it in brine on Saturday to turn it into a homemade smoked corned beef brisket by the weekend of St. Patrick's day. My wife will complain that it is only 6 1/2 lbs., but did I mention the prices. Plus, it is too hard to find the 16-18lb packers that I used to use. :(

Upvote 0
We are eating on the last of my cheap whole packer tonight and tomorrow. It was on sale when I bought it late last summer at two something a pound. The chuck roast I bought the other day was on sale for just under ten dollars a pound. Yikes! I saw some nice looking KC strips today at the market. I hope to catch them when they don't sell and come down in price. $16 a pound is not for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones