• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

My pork butt was tasty but was very dense and close grained. I had to chop it before pulling it. I've only run across a similar textured shoulder once before. I don't think that the pink butcher paper had anything to do with the texture and I won't be afraid to use it in the future. I think it actually wicked some of the grease from the roast which gets my vote.

Upvote 0
I put a brisket flat in brine tonight so I can smoke it tomorrow or Sunday.
1697855501913.png

Upvote 0
I've never brined a brisket. You'll have to let me know how that turns out.... please.
Will do. I only did this as it was the lowest effort cook I found and I have a busy weekend. Boil water with 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup kosher salt. Add ice and cool to room temp. Soak overnight.

Upvote 0
I agree.. It makes me hungry for brisket. I have a whole packer in the freezer that I've been saving for a rainy day. I don't want to attempt a quick thaw on it but it's tempting. Instead, I have a rack of baby back ribs thawing for tomorrow.

I'm glad your brisket flat turned out perfect. I bet your family is glad too. :)

After thinking about my post above, I am now thinking my friend slow cooked that shoulder in Dr Pepper. I think I posted about it in this tread but who knows where? One way or another, the liquid used to cook the shoulder was a cola of some sort.

My ribs turned out very good. I did the wrap time in pink butcher paper. It was saturated in grease when I unwrapped for the finish cook. The rack was still way wet so I decided I'd do the finish two hours with the meat side down. I've never cooked ribs that way. It drained the grease from the rack and it was still moist with a slight pull. My fatty bargain bin rack was actually a good buy after all.
I seasoned the rack with Ah Shit seasoning. I've had it in the spice cabinet but haven't used it in some time. I'll rub ribs with it again.

I ran to the market this morning to grab a few things and something for a side to go with the ribs. I ended up buying a box of scalloped potatoes. They were pretty decent for a box item. I walked the meat isle as always and a brisket point followed me home. It has a good looking marble and was another bargain bin item marked down from $22 to $14. It will be next Sunday's smoke if everything goes as planned and I remember to thaw it out. :)

I seasoned my brisket point and put it on the smoker at 9. The point was sold at a bargain price but I trimmed almost a pound from it. Even with a pound removed, it is less than $3 a pound. It is a pretty cut with nice marbling but with the fat removed it's now thin on the end that was attached to the flat.
I'm out of butcher twine or I'd have been tempted to roll and tie it into a bundle. Time will tell but I anticipate the thin edge to reach temp before the thick end. I'll check it in a little while to see where I'm at.
I had to run to walmart to get more pellets this morning. I bought two 40# bags under $15 per bag. I guess inflation hasn't effected the product. Naturally it was pouring down rain this morning with wind ripping out of the North at 20mph with temps just at freezing. Another example of my stellar planning :) I should have purchased pellets earlier. It isn't like the lack of pellets was a surprise this morning.

I have three huge t-bones thawed out and I had every intention of grilling them this evening (for the occasion of being married with the Darling Bride for 12,000 days today)... of course, I didn't intend to get slammed with a bad cold, either. I ate a can of soup this morning and that was more than I'd eaten in two days. I don't get sick often but when I do, it's a doozy! Thankfully, Darling Bride, former tax deduction son and I unanimously agreed to wait until tomorrow evening to grill. After the rain, and before the temperature drops to freezing...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones