• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backup broken GS5

bkenobi69

Jul 10, 2012
I dropped my phone and the screen shattered and fell off. I assumed it was dead, but when I replaced the battery and held the power button, it came to life!? I have my wife's old GS5 that I'd like to restore mine to. Anyone have a link or guide that I could follow that doesn't require changing things on the phone which require the screen?

My photos are safe as they were saved on SD, but I'd like to recover settings for apps (contacts, app settings, save games, etc). It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost that stuff, but I'd rather have it!

I was having a problem getting into download mode last night (or so I thought). In reality, the USB cable wasn't working. At this point, I have the phone in download mode but both Kies and Smart Switch claim the phone isn't supported. I tried with the working GS5 and got the same message. The broken phone is rooted and running Marshmallow IIRC. The new phone is running 6.0.1 Marshmallow. I am trying to connect them via USB to a Windows PC running both Kies 3.2.16084_2 and Smart Switch 4.2.18124_4. It looks like everything acts normal except for the screen being broken (lights turn on, vibration, beeps/dings/etc). I did plug it back in, but it's toast and won't turn on.

Upvote 0
I tried updating the USB drivers from the Smart Switch menu and it seems to have worked. I was able to connect the new phone (Marshmallow) to Smart Switch and it gave me the options to backup/restore. I switched to the old phone (Lollipop actually) and it installed new drivers but seems to have connected and is now backing up. I'm crossing my fingers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones