• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Baseball 2023

I agree that something had/has to be done. Not sure on the no shift rule yet, clock will be fine really. Things were getting (are) out of control with the amount of unneeded wasted time, hopefully all this helps. Today's game truly would have been a terrible thing in regular season though! Sure, it would have gone to extra innings big just imagine the uproar!

Upvote 0
I liked the shift. To me it was smart ball. It certainly wasn't slowing down the game. I realize that offense is more entertaining to most but the entertainment value of baseball wasn't broken with the shift. If anything, it was speeding up the game which I think everyone wants.

On a side note: While checking out my streaming costs for another thread, I logged into my DirecTV account to view my billing. Keep in mind that I dropped the MLB package last spring and tried to drop the NFL late summer. They gifted me the NFL because I was a loyal customer bla bla bla.
When viewing my billing a big note popped up telling me they were gifting me the MLB package this year for the same bla bla bla. Woohoo!!!

Upvote 0
Whoop on the MLB package! I do need my baseball and know you do too. Phew.
As far as 'offense is more entertaining' I wholeheartedly disagree with them. I love a well played nail biting close game with brilliant pitching duels and stellar defense on both teams. That's a baseball game! High scoring blowout homeroom derbies are no fun for me really.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
8 seconds may be quick but this is the one area that did need to be addressed and sped up. There's no need for a batter to walk around the stadium between pitches and tap the plate 5 times and swing the bat 7 times and have 1 foot in while spitting in their hands and making 'adjustments' and... When the pitcher's ready the batter needs to be ready, get in the damn box already! Honestly, how much prep time does it take to get ready to hit a ball?

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
The last thing I want to see is a game being determined by the pitch clock. Next they'll want two strikes and you're out or 3 foul balls and you're out or 6 pitches maximum per batter. Leave the game alone. If a 3 hour baseball game is too long for a few people they can always record it on their DVR and fast forward through it

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Baseball, like most everything, is revenue driven. There must be a drop in revenue or such changes wouldn't have been implemented. The antics between pitcher and batter has become a game in its self. Some of it is entertaining and some is just delaying the game IMO. I think it needed trimming but perhaps not to the extent they have set. A season of ball will tell the tale and if it isn't a positive I bet the rule is revisited before 2024. Don't google the attendance and viewership of MLB for the past decade unless you want to be depressed. The numbers aren't alarming but certainly show an ugly downward trend. The population has grown and followers of the sport have decreased. That is not a good thing for our beloved sport.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I think it's more of, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Can you imagine losing the World Series because of the pitch clock? How stupid is that for a new rule to ruin the game.

There's a lot of impatient people, that need to DVR the game and then fast forward through it. It reminds me of the people who tailgate me when I'm driving 5-7 mph over the speed limit and flash their headlight for me to move over.

We just have to agree to disagree :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
I think it's more of, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Can you imagine losing the World Series because of the pitch clock? How stupid is that for a new rule to ruin the game.

There's a lot of impatient people, that need to DVR the game and then fast forward through it. It reminds me of the people who tailgate me when I'm driving 5-7 mph over the speed limit and flash their headlight for me to move over.

We just have to agree to disagree :LOL:
It's going to be the first year for the pitch clock. It's not going to be smooth sailing at first. There are going to be controversial calls. But I think come playoff time, it'll be different. Pitchers by then will know what's going with the clock. A rhythm will be established by then.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or is watching these mean nothing spring season games like breath of fresh air. Man, I was ready for some baseball.

Okay, I know my Royals will suck this year. Two years ago, when I had the MLB package, I followed the Padres. Mostly because I was a big Hosmer fan.
Now that he's gone and I actually get to follow an out of market team, who should I be following this season? I need a team to root for that will see post season play. I want a team with great chemistry that wants to win. I desire a coach that is not a bump on a log. I long to see great talent I can get behind.
I'm open to any suggestions except the yanks. I can't do the yanks.

Upvote 0
I know that predicting the season outcome during spring training is asking too much. I just need a respectable ball team with potential to root for. They don't have to win it all for me to be happy. I'm accustomed to losing :) It would be sweet to get behind a team that will make post season. It won't be the Royals. The Red Sox and Braves sound like great choices.

Upvote 0
I wanted to se the Braves & Twins today, but Dish has no listing for them. I can watch the Royals and Guardians on Dish today.

The Braves are going to be good this year and i think the Twins are going to be the sleeper in the American League Central this year
I apologize for the Royals prior to the game. :LOL:

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones