• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cricket has a new $70 unlimited data plan

I have used over 220GB over the summer when my only source of entertainment was streaming on my phone. I didn't slow down once.. to be exact I used around 321GB..

If you experienced a slow down I'd imagine it was something to do in your area..

I also have contacts I'm Cricket who said they aren't even using any type of network management on unlimited right now except for the 8MB limit.. I know T-Mobile starts to prioritize data after 20 something GB on unlimited if the tower in your area is congested.. my contact higher up at Cricket claims they aren't even doing this..

So yeah I can personally confirm you can use over 300GB no issues.. I don't do that a lot and now I will probably only average 30 - 40 GB but during the summer I work away from home so my phone is my only entertainment in the evenings

Cricket has just announced, in 35 days, they will throttle any user surpassing 22 GB during monthly cycle. That sucks, and makes them the worst choice because their speeds will remain 8mbps.

Upvote 0
Cricket has just announced, in 35 days, they will throttle any user surpassing 22 GB during monthly cycle.
You'll be de-prioritized after 22GB if the tower you're on is busy, which is a little different then throttling.

De-prioritization after 20GB+ is pretty common on unlimited data plans right now. I believe most carriers and MVNOs have some sort of de-prioritization clause when on busy towers.

Upvote 0
Deprioritization isn't the same as throttle.. it's common amongst most carriers.. it only happens when your tower is congested.. I'm not in a congested area so I'm fine haha

Once congestion ends you will be back to full speeds

Difference

Throttle is a hard limit meaning once your throttled you stay throttled until your month is up

Deprioritization only happens during congestion on single towers and lifts once congestion is over. For example, the next tower down the line might not be congested so when you connect to it you might be full speed again. Your tower might o ly be congested for 20 or 30 mins and once it's over you are back to full speed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones