• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do not open if you have OCD

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
I thought it might be fun to have a separate thread to capture and share all of the great memes and pics that get the OCD juices flowing (and which otherwise get scattered and lost in other threads).

Here’s a prime example… :D

c0f54c6a-382f-4c1c-95b2-784d6f4af4eb-jpeg.167100

Attachments

• C0F54C6A-382F-4C1C-95B2-784D6F4AF4EB.jpeg
    C0F54C6A-382F-4C1C-95B2-784D6F4AF4EB.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 511
Being a retired trim carpenter, I couldn't help but notice the material added to the top right and bottom left of the stained door so it could be hung askew. A clever idea to make people sick. :) Carpenters want to see level, plumb, and square. Being a carpenter, I couldn't help but notice that the lever door latch is running parallel with the door jamb yet the lever is at the same angle as the panels in the door that's askew in the door opening. Lever action locks are designed to rest at a 90° from the hardware. I question how that was achieved. I'm not ocd... much.

Upvote 0
Being a retired trim carpenter, I couldn't help but notice the material added to the top right and bottom left of the stained door so it could be hung askew. A clever idea to make people sick. :) Carpenters want to see level, plumb, and square. Being a carpenter, I couldn't help but notice that the lever door latch is running parallel with the door jamb yet the lever is at the same angle as the panels in the door that's askew in the door opening. Lever action locks are designed to rest at a 90° from the hardware. I question how that was achieved. I'm not ocd... much.
As a carpenter, I’m sure you’re familiar with the old axiom…the framers say “don’t worry about it, the carpenters will c take care of it,” while the carpenters say “don’t worry about it, the drywallers will fix it,” and naturally the drywallers say “that’s okay, the painters will clean it up.” :D

Upvote 0
I worked at the craft for 55 years. There was no such thing as leaving another to fix one's work in the sixties. Sadly, it became more common as the years went by. To the point it was frustrating employment. I was trained by my father who was trained by his. There is no such thing in finish carpentry as good enough. It's perfect or unacceptable which became nearly impossible by the time I retired.

Example: Picture a wall in a den. It has two tall windows and a fireplace between them. The fireplace requires a wood surround with columns running between decorative hearth and mantle. The added woodwork comes within two inches of one window and four inches the other. The fireplace is not centered between the windows and escaped notice until the surround is added to the fireplace. There is no correcting the fireplace location. It was just a math error that someone has to look at for years. Stuff like that happed in just about every home I trimmed in the last decade. I'm not talking little starter homes... these were multi million dollar homes. Disgraceful

This drives me crazy
cpwvzj44uxq21.jpg

Upvote 0
@olbriar, I simply cannot with your last two pics! No. No. OMG no! Make it stop.

I do still want a crooked door though. But I think the interior would have to be straight, just the outside should be askew. Yeah, I couldn't do crooked inside. Nope.

edit - I need straight. I need symmetrical. Screw the neighbors :D

Reactions: olbriar and Davdi
Upvote 0
As a carpenter, I’m sure you’re familiar with the old axiom…the framers say “don’t worry about it, the carpenters will c take care of it,” while the carpenters say “don’t worry about it, the drywallers will fix it,” and naturally the drywallers say “that’s okay, the painters will clean it up.” :D

And finishers curse the clowns that leave any surface they've had to "fix" before cabinets could be hung, tiles could be set, crown, (stone) rails could be installed ... ECT.

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy

floor.jpg
I worked at the craft for 55 years. There was no such thing as leaving another to fix one's work in the sixties. Sadly, it became more common as the years went by. To the point it was frustrating employment. I was trained by my father who was trained by his. There is no such thing in finish carpentry as good enough. It's perfect or unacceptable which became nearly impossible by the time I retired.

Example: Picture a wall in a den. It has two tall windows and a fireplace between them. The fireplace requires a wood surround with columns running between decorative hearth and mantle. The added woodwork comes within two inches of one window and four inches the other. The fireplace is not centered between the windows and escaped notice until the surround is added to the fireplace. There is no correcting the fireplace location. It was just a math error that someone has to look at for years. Stuff like that happed in just about every home I trimmed in the last decade. I'm not talking little starter homes... these were multi million dollar homes. Disgraceful

This drives me crazy
cpwvzj44uxq21.jpg
There may be debate about our criminal justice system right now, but I think we can all agree that those are capital crimes.

Upvote 0

This drives me crazy
cpwvzj44uxq21.jpg

That drives me absolutely batty.
I have built and installed a custom "Stepped door" for a customer as an intended oddity for the main entry. It was 6 panels (from the hinge) layered behind the previous and each layer "stepped" down by 13mm.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Well, demolished or collapsed! :D

Definitely demolished. AFAICT they were originally built in the 1950s. and the picture I posted looks like it has modern uPVC double-glazing windows and front-door fitted.

As for collapsed, that's what we do very well here in China. Where a 12 floor apartment block in Shanghai actually fell over.
fall over.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apparently this leaning to the left property was still standing in the 00s. Mainly because there's a Gatso speed camera in the picture. It stood like that for 50 or so years. AFAIK this place is now demolished, because I can't see it on Google StreetView when looking at Scarisbrick Rd, Southport, Merseyside.

subsidence-damaged-detached-house-with-lean-in-kew-southport-merseyside-F38JG7.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Houses leaning to the left
OK. Now that I know such things can exist I want one! It has to be straight and tidy inside of course, and obviously built properly. And I want my crooked door to go the opposite way of the lean.

Hey, I never said I was 'right' and these things really really are amusing me. Not the deck and that stuff, but the house and door slay me. I really would do it if circumstances allowed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones