• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

E-Bikes

LOL! That was me

E-Bikes
You are thoughtful to forward links of alternatives and I thank you. The front tire would be plenty easy to repair away from home. The rear tire is not nearly so easy to remove and remounting the repaired tire is just something I don't want to attempt on the road. A flatless tire, even if the ride wasn't as comfortable as a standard tube and tire, would be a great alternative if available.

I have read since sliming my tubes that the product will eventually dissolve a patch adhesive. I found evidence of that when I removed my once patched and then slimed tube last week. Not only had I additional punctures, I could see evidence that slime was finding its way out of the patch. My front tire that has no patches is still slimed. The rear tire has a liner and no slime. If I encounter a flat I can at least patch it while on the road. It's not easy but the tube can be removed from the wheel while it is still mounted to the bike. A patch could be applied and the tire reseated and the tube inflated.

It is unrealistic to think I'll not get another flat. My frequency of them is around one flat per one thousand miles. That's not a put off for the average rider but far too frequent for me. I'd love to run the roads without fear of a flat.

• Wow
Reactions: DonB and AugieTN
Upvote 0
The weather has been crummy all week except for Thanksgiving day. It was really nice with no wind. I was doing the family thing and missed the chance to ride. Today it remained in the thirties all day with a stiff North wind. It wasn't nice enough for me to ride. I finally broke down and ordered a bike rack that's rated to carry my heavy bikes. The main incentive was my son and I plan to take our bikes to Oklahoma next April to see the total solar eclipse. We will have Saturday and Sunday to ride the bikes and explore the area and the eclipse is Monday. Long time use of the rack will allow me to take my bike into the city to ride all of the cool metro bike paths that I can't safely access from my town. The rack should prove to be a great addition to my bike hobby.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I received my Hollywood Sports Rider rack 12/2 almost a week before projected delivery. It needs assembled while it's actually on a vehicle. I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet and likely won't for a while. It stores nice and neat in its delivery box but once assembled will take up considerably more space. I am excited to own the rack not only for the eclipse adventure but the riding options it will open locally. I hope to get a lot of use out of the rack.

My son had told me that the rack would be a real game changer for me. So far, his prediction is right. I received the rack Saturday afternoon and late Saturday night I had a major heart attack. :) A couple of stints later and most the week in ICU they reluctantly let me come home. I feel great, far better than I am, I'm told. I'm not cleared to ride my bike and have no idea when I will get a green light. The weather stinks for riding now so it's like I scheduled the attack. :)

Nobody, so far, has the kahoonas to put forth some sports plan for me. I was given the okay to walk some and not push it. That's pretty general. I joined the local rec center yesterday. They have an elevated 1/10 mile walk/jog path that should let me stretch my legs. I visited my local gym first. Though loaded with machines, they lack the walking track I need. I may revisit the gym later when I'm cleared to ride a stationary bike. I need to ride. :)

Upvote 0
I received my Hollywood Sports Rider rack 12/2 almost a week before projected delivery. It needs assembled while it's actually on a vehicle. I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet and likely won't for a while. It stores nice and neat in its delivery box but once assembled will take up considerably more space. I am excited to own the rack not only for the eclipse adventure but the riding options it will open locally. I hope to get a lot of use out of the rack.

My son had told me that the rack would be a real game changer for me. So far, his prediction is right. I received the rack Saturday afternoon and late Saturday night I had a major heart attack. :) A couple of stints later and most the week in ICU they reluctantly let me come home. I feel great, far better than I am, I'm told. I'm not cleared to ride my bike and have no idea when I will get a green light. The weather stinks for riding now so it's like I scheduled the attack. :)

Nobody, so far, has the kahoonas to put forth some sports plan for me. I was given the okay to walk some and not push it. That's pretty general. I joined the local rec center yesterday. They have an elevated 1/10 mile walk/jog path that should let me stretch my legs. I visited my local gym first. Though loaded with machines, they lack the walking track I need. I may revisit the gym later when I'm cleared to ride a stationary bike. I need to ride. :)
Wow, that is crazy, makes us realize how quick things can happen. Did you have any warning signs, Makes me nervous now that I'm also getting older, you never know

Glad you made it through all this with flying colors, I'm sure your biking routine help make it easier. Just goes to show you never know.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your heart issue @olbriar Did they tell you to make major dietary changes? I've read Bill Clinton is vegan after his heart issue and doing fine. I knew a guy who had a couple minor heart attacks and a doctor told him to eat salmon 2 or 3 times a week and he said he's had no problems since eating the salmon.

Each person is so different. I've know people to get cancer at an early age, but I have done work at retirement homes and have seen people in their 80s maybe 90's smoking cigarettes. My wife's grandmother on her father's side ate junk food like chips constantly, drank alcohol and lived into her 90's

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your heart issue @olbriar Did they tell you to make major dietary changes? I've read Bill Clinton is vegan after his heart issue and doing fine. I knew a guy who had a couple minor heart attacks and a doctor told him to eat salmon 2 or 3 times a week and he said he's had no problems since eating the salmon.

Each person is so different. I've know people to get cancer at an early age, but I have done work at retirement homes and have seen people in their 80s maybe 90's smoking cigarettes. My wife's grandmother on her father's side ate junk food like chips constantly, drank alcohol and lived into her 90's
We are so early on in this new journey I don't know and they don't know what direction we should take.
Exercise and diet are my major concerns. I do not think that my diet was necessarily the healthiest but it was far healthier than most. I'm ahead of the game in that I don't do much if any salt. I don't eat fried foods unless they are griddled. I will likely try to up my fiber and lower my carb intake. I'm kind of a weird case. I'm not over weight, I am very active, I don't have high blood pressure, my blood sugar levels are spot on, and zero family history. They advocated the condition leading up to the heart attack happened over a long period of time. You don't suddenly get 100% blockage over night.
I grew up eating all fried foods. Bacon for breakfast daily with a bacon sandwich for lunch. Dinner was a breaded and fried meat or poultry fried in bacon drippings. Once I left home, I had a better diet but I had to have my potatoes and gravy with my fried foods. I didn't really start eating healthy until I had my children raised and I wasn't trying to feed so many on so little.
They gave me a covers all aspects of post heart attack pamphlet when I left the hospital. I read it through. It's all about changing lifestyle and diet. Most of what's covered is geared to lower salt and carb intake and to get more exercise. I can improve on both but I don't think I can or need to make radical changes. I'll know more, or at least hope to know more, after my first outpatient visit with my cardiologist.

Upvote 0

Brother Man i feel you , I've had 3 Heart Attacks and some splints also....... My hospital bed had a alarm on it so if i tried to get out of it it would sound off like a car alarm. I'm glad you are feeling better but take it careful.

Upvote 0
Brother Man i feel you , I've had 3 Heart Attacks and some splints also....... My hospital bed had a alarm on it so if i tried to get out of it it would sound off like a car alarm. I'm glad you are feeling better but take it careful.
Sorry to hear Bear. I wouldn't wish an attack off on anyone. I feel really good to be sick. :) I'm pretty darn happy to still be here. Good luck to you moving forward.

Reactions: Bearsyzf
Upvote 0
Today was a great day. After some recent testing, my cardiologist has cleared me to resume riding my bike. I've been advised not to push it. The forecast for tomorrow is lots of sun with temps in the mid fifties and a SW wind of 14mph. Tomorrow will be 87 days since I last rode. That's just crazy! There will be no problem taking it easy on the bike. :) I'll just ride local and slow and easy. It will take some time to get my legs back. I can't begin to express how excited I am to ride again.

Upvote 0
Today was a great day. After some recent testing, my cardiologist has cleared me to resume riding my bike. I've been advised not to push it. The forecast for tomorrow is lots of sun with temps in the mid fifties and a SW wind of 14mph. Tomorrow will be 87 days since I last rode. That's just crazy! There will be no problem taking it easy on the bike. :) I'll just ride local and slow and easy. It will take some time to get my legs back. I can't begin to express how excited I am to ride again.
Be good to yourself, kind sir, and have an enjoyable ride!

Upvote 0
Be good to yourself, kind sir, and have an enjoyable ride!
Thank You! It was great to ride and I didn't over do it. I only rode seven miles and never exceeded 15mph. I went nice and easy and enjoyed the ride. It was a bit cool and with my BP lowered so much my hands got cold even though I was wearing gloves. By the time I got home my fingers were nearly numb. It is a problem that I only hope the warm weather will fix. Even without feeling my fingers, It was a great ride. I look forward to riding tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be just a bit warmer so I'll definitely be riding.

Reactions: AugieTN and DonB
Upvote 0
Thank You! It was great to ride and I didn't over do it. I only rode seven miles and never exceeded 15mph. I went nice and easy and enjoyed the ride. It was a bit cool and with my BP lowered so much my hands got cold even though I was wearing gloves. By the time I got home my fingers were nearly numb. It is a problem that I only hope the warm weather will fix. Even without feeling my fingers, It was a great ride. I look forward to riding tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be just a bit warmer so I'll definitely be riding.
Nice to see you back posting in this thread, means my man is back in action, slowly but surely. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just returned from today's ride. I have a doctor appointment so I rode before peak temp was reached. However, as it was warming today, the wind steadily increased. It's now a 13mph wind with 26mph gusts from the South. My local short loop is just over two miles with half into the wind. I took it easy riding South and rode as fast as I dared with the wind in a residential area. I logged my 7 mile ride of enjoyment. I hope I get to ride tomorrow.

Upvote 0
It was too cold for me to ride yesterday and looks to be similar through the weekend. It's that time of year so it comes at no surprise. It is supposed to be warmer next week so I will get in some riding time.
It is a shame that with the temperature swings comes strong gusty winds more often than not.

I was very pleased with the state of both of my bikes after sitting idle for a quarter of a year. The tires all held their pressure which was surprising. The only maintenance I performed before riding was to add just a bit of chain oil. The bike performed like it hadn't set waiting for me. Even the battery was completely charged and ready to go. It's not recommended to store the lithium battery fully charged but I hadn't anticipated going months without riding. They sell a battery cycle satiator vs the chargers that I own that manage and maintains a charge level that is healthier for the batteries. It's a rather expensive tool that I've managed without. Normally it is easy enough to manage charge and discharge cycles without the added expense. Charging is easy... discharging is fun when you get to ride. :)

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm riding today. The weather is improving and it's getting too nice to be only thinking about a ride. I have my bike out of the shed and only waiting for the temp to rise just a bit more. As it warms, the wind increases as well. That's a bummer but normal when the weather is like a yoyo. I'll ride in an hour or so. It will be a compromise between temp and wind. It's also a preferred riding window to be home before school lets out and the traffic increases. I'm considering riding to the next town South and back. I probably shouldn't but it's way tempting. If I take my time and cruise more than work at it I should be fine.

Upvote 0
I had my ride and had a great time. It was a bit windy from the South before I was done but not terrible. I started out being a good boy. I rode to the next town and back nice and easy as planned but I felt so good on my return that I rode around town a few times at a faster clip. I logged 18 miles and enjoyed every mile. I met a few people out walking but no other cyclist today. They missed a very nice day for February.

Upvote 0
I rode again this afternoon. I rode my old two trips the next town South and back loop today. That is a 21 mile loop that I've ridden near countless times. Today it made me a bit tired but I'm out of shape. I was glad I was able to ride it and those 21 miles will be my staple ride for a while. When it becomes too easy I'll add to or ride it a lot harder. It's a great safe loop.

Reactions: Unforgiven and DonB
Upvote 0
I plan to ride today if at all possible. It is supposed to get into the mid sixties but gusty winds are predicted. If the wind gets as high as predicted I'll likely just ride a bit in town. There is some wind shelter with the trees and houses in town and there is zero shelter in the country. I didn't get to ride yesterday due to high winds.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
It was windy!!! It warmed up but certainly didn't feel all that warm with the wind gusting. I got home and took a look at my weather station and 20 to 35mph gusts from the North was my ride. I only logged ten miles and rode entirely in town. It wasn't a great day to be out. I did see a lady walking and I saw a guy driving a purple golf cart. There is a country club course around three miles from where I saw the cart. I mow a few lawns in the neighborhood around the course and it's common to see carts in the streets. It's not common to see them this far from the course.

• Wow
Upvote 0
It warmed up more than predicted today. The forecasted high was 69° but it easily exceeded that by ten degrees. It was not only warm it wasn't windy. It was a beautiful day to be out and I was wishing I had worn my bike shorts instead of tights by the time I returned from my ride. I rode my 21 mile loop and was surprised to see so few people out. I met only one cyclists and three or four walkers and one jogger on my ride. I started my ride just after noon because I had a brisket on my smoker. I wanted to no hurry my ride but be home in plenty of time to tend to my roast before it was done. Maybe there were more out enjoying the day later in the afternoon. Monday and Tuesday have high seventies forecasted with Tuesday being windy. The high Wednesday is to be 45°. I'll try to enjoy the good weather while I have it.

Upvote 0
Nothing was going my way today. Everything I worked on still needs attention. I finally gave up, cleaned up, put on my riding clothes, and escaped. I wore my cycle shorts and jersey today to give you some idea just how nice the weather was. The frustration of the day just melted away and I had a blast riding. I saw only one lady who was walking her dog today. Everyone was working I suspect. I logged my 21 miles of fun and will be looking forward to my next opportunity to ride.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
As predicted, the weather turned from nice to crummy in the matter of hours. Yesterday it was windy from the WSW with gusts in the thirty miles per hour range. It warmed up to near eighty before the wind switched to the North and the temperature fell like a rock. I logged a 64.4 mph gust last night and it is still gusting this morning. Currently it is 19°. The point of the weather report is to support my statement that when it's nice enough to ride and you have a passion for riding, you had best take advantage of the nice weather when you have it.

Reactions: DonB and Unforgiven
Upvote 0
@olbriar What brand of e-bike do you have ?
I have two Juiced bikes. Both are Ripcurrent S models. The one I ride most of the time is the newer model with a bigger motor and I put a enhanced controller on it. Though I don't ride it like a hotrod, it has the power and controller to be illegal unless off road.

There are a lot of bike makers and models out there to choose from. I went with Juiced for the best bike features for my buck. I've not been disappointed though there are far more options out there since I first purchased.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones