• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

E-Bikes

I will admit that I don't totally trust my battery when it is charging. I never leave it charging unattended. I would not say that it worries me but it makes sense to use some caution. It would enjoy more information from that article. Was the battery left charging over night or did it burst into flame when the charging was initiated?

Upvote 0
I dusted off my bike and aired up the tires and took it for a little ride this evening. I've been busy with honey do's or the weather was lousy so I haven't taken a ride since March. I only rode 14 miles but I rode hard. It felt great to be riding and the weather was excellent. With some luck, I can log a few more miles tomorrow.

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
Last spring, some enterprise placed rental E-scooters all over town. Most all half busy intersections had three or four scooters with the really busy ones having six to eight. They were left unattended so I suspect they took some sort of prepaid card to turn on. I saw only a few adults using one but I saw many middle school to young high school kids riding them. A kid down the street rode one to high school daily until he was old enough to get a drivers license. He parked it in his yard over night. It seemed pretty handy transportation for the young set. They picked the scooters up last winter when the weather turned bitter. Today I just noticed the scooters have not returned this year. It must have not been the lucrative business they envisioned.

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
^^^To my knowledge the scooters work via apps; you rent it via the app and when you are finished you leave it pretty much wherever (though not anywhere it would cause a problem). One side hustle is to work with the companies to pick them up from where renters leave them, recharge them and then place them as directed (usually the common rental locations).

Some jurisdictions have passed regulations that can seriously impact their business model, so sometimes that’s why they aren’t seen again. They’re still pretty popular in CA!

Upvote 0
I have no clue how they charge but I know it's not free. I've seen a truck exchanging some scooters out of group. The truck had signage on the side and I tried to read it as I passed but failed. I was curious as to who was behind the enterprise. I heard that a number of scooters were retrieved from the lake at our local park. Kids today have no imagination. In my day, we would have been trying to hack one so we could ride for free. :)

Upvote 0
I did a little bike maintenance today and got in another ride. I deep cleaned the bike and lubricated the chain. I also added a loop of rubber around the carbon fiber tube accessory extension bar. It's so slick that my rear view monitor eventually slides out of ideal viewing angle. Lesson learned. I should have purchased an aluminum tube to begin with. It was just a wee bit windy while riding but well within my comfort zone with perfect temps. I might work in another ride this evening.

Upvote 0
I did manage another ride tonight. It was just fantastic outside. I logged 41 miles today and still had battery left. Just taking a guess I'd say 10 miles remaining. Fifty miles on a three year old battery is not too bad. I rode hard today and was in race mode the entire time. Most of it was open road and I probably averaged 23-25mph. I don't know how many miles the battery might be good for in a lesser mode of biking.

Upvote 0
I've been riding daily the last few days. The weather is ideal with temps in the mid to upper 80's with very little wind if any. These riding conditions are unusual and I know it won't last. I just have to take advantage while I can. I logged 24 miles today which is pretty typical. I've got a slow leak in my rear tire that I will have to address. I hate fixing flats on the rear tire.

Upvote 0
One of my daughters and her husband were in town for another daughter's wedding. We gathered at my son's house today who has two e-bikes like mine. It wasn't long before he had his sister and BIL on his bikes for a trial ride. Before they left that had ordered two bikes for themselves. They are that much fun to ride. The new bikes have a more powerful motor, turn signals, and break light. They also have a step through frame option that my daughter opted for that wasn't available when we bought. The bikes have come down in price and are even discounted more for the upcoming father's day. They live in California which has many bike paths. They are in for some real fun and good exercise.

I haven't had the chance to ride the last few days. Tomorrow I'm riding!

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Even though it was hot today, there was no wind and my bike was calling my name. I was in the next town when my buds low batted me. I had to do most of my riding without any tunes... poor me. :) It was a great ride in spite of no music. I cut my ride short, only logging 21 miles.

I saw another guy on an E-bike the other day. I don't know what brand but it was a road racer bike with narrow tires. He was flying down the street. I think he has a need for speed much like me. I saw him again a few days later in a neighborhood where I was mowing. I suspect he lives in the area for it's mostly a one way in and out and not on the way to anything but homes. I'd like to meet up with the guy and take a close look at his bike. Perhaps we could schedule a ride or two together sometime. I've only spotted two other E-bikes in town besides mine and the two my son owns. Both of the other bikes I've seen were commuters.
They are designed to get from one place to another with assistance. They aren't at all like a fly down the highway sort of bike.

Upvote 0
I just got an email from Juiced Bikes. The 2023 upgraded RipCurrent S like mine is being discontinued. Just the color is being dropped from their line (brushed aluminum) It has a larger motor than my old bike. It has the same battery but it has a usb charging port. It has turn signals and break light. The breaks have upgraded lever actuators. With free shipping, the closeout price it $1,699. I would order one tonight but my wife would kill me. :) I paid exactly a grand more for my bike and paid the shipping costs. If only I could find a buyer for my bike, I'd be a buyer. I can't ride two. My battery is still strong but is four years old. A replacement battery is $800. That alone makes the new bike enticing. The upgrades would be way sweet as well.

Upvote 0
I just got an email from Juiced Bikes. The 2023 upgraded RipCurrent S like mine is being discontinued. Just the color is being dropped from their line (brushed aluminum) It has a larger motor than my old bike. It has the same battery but it has a usb charging port. It has turn signals and break light. The breaks have upgraded lever actuators. With free shipping, the closeout price it $1,699. I would order one tonight but my wife would kill me. :) I paid exactly a grand more for my bike and paid the shipping costs. If only I could find a buyer for my bike, I'd be a buyer. I can't ride two. My battery is still strong but is four years old. A replacement battery is $800. That alone makes the new bike enticing. The upgrades would be way sweet as well.
Try listing your bike on Craigslist and see if you can sell it fast, it's worth a shot (y)
;)

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Try listing your bike on Craigslist and see if you can sell it fast, it's worth a shot (y)
;)
Craigslist and a Kansas bicycle group on FB are options. I think I'll try FB first. The group has just under 8k members and is a news and buy and sell group. It's been years since I used Craigslist but have both sold and purchased their. I've never bought or sold anything on the FB group though I look through it now and then. It's just bike people members so there is that going for it. They are bike wise and will know what quality I'm selling. Juiced Bikes have no brick and mortars. You can't test ride one and have to order online. Though they make great bikes at crazy prices, they don't have a big footprint in the bike world. I wouldn't have purchased mine blindly. Fortunately, my son bought two and I had a chance to test ride before I ordered. I know my ad will land someone interested. I might even find a buyer.

Upvote 0
I can see how there is an element of danger in riding an E-bike. The typical driver is not sure how to handle an E-bike's speed. As a rider, I think it's important to understand you are not the normal bike on the road and to yield to all traffic. At least I'm not anticipating traffic to yield to me though I often have the right-of-way. It's the speed of the bike that is new to drivers. And the sad fact is, E-bikes are too fast for most sidewalks and too slow for in town road traffic. I ride as fast as I can go and can keep my place on most of my city streets (30mph) I still hug the curb and let cars pass.

I'm sorry about the local boys death. E-bikes are like and even worse than motorcycles. You have best have your head on a swivel and consider yourself unseen by traffic. It's up to you as a rider to stay out of the way.

Upvote 0
That's a decent price. It is only pedal cadence assist with a 500W motor. It does have a throttle. The battery is a bit on the weak side. There is no mention if the breaks are mechanical or hydraulic. Top speed is 20mph which would be fast enough for most people. I would consider it an entry E-bike but I'm betting it would be a lot of fun for anyone going from a conventional bike to an E-bike.

I will admit that I'm spoiled. My bike has a 750W motor powered by a 52v 19.2ah battery. It has cadence assist as well at torque assist. Air shocks on the front fork and hydraulic disk breaks. Cruise control and a top speed of 28mph though it's not difficult to go faster. It's more bike... and more money.

Upvote 0
It was nice today so I took a ride. I only rode 23 miles because I had ribs on the smoker that needed my attention. I met a couple and passed a couple on my way to the next town South of me. None were E-bikes but they were enjoying a ride on a beautiful day just as I was. As I rode along I started thinking about selling my bike and the fact that I've not put an ad together yet. I've had the time and opportunity to do something. I even jotted down the specs and perks of my bike to put in an ad. It came to me, I really don't want to part with my bike. I have it set up exactly the way I want it and it rides like a dream. I don't miss the added features of the upgraded model that's on closeout sale. The only real benefit would be a new battery and that's just not worth the hassle of selling my bike and setting up another. There will likely come the day that I regret not jumping on the bargain but today is not that day.

Reactions: DonB and Unforgiven
Upvote 0
It was nice today so I took a ride. I only rode 23 miles because I had ribs on the smoker that needed my attention. I met a couple and passed a couple on my way to the next town South of me. None were E-bikes but they were enjoying a ride on a beautiful day just as I was. As I rode along I started thinking about selling my bike and the fact that I've not put an ad together yet. I've had the time and opportunity to do something. I even jotted down the specs and perks of my bike to put in an ad. It came to me, I really don't want to part with my bike. I have it set up exactly the way I want it and it rides like a dream. I don't miss the added features of the upgraded model that's on closeout sale. The only real benefit would be a new battery and that's just not worth the hassle of selling my bike and setting up another. There will likely come the day that I regret not jumping on the bargain but today is not that day.
And they'll be better and bigger deals down the road, for when u are ready ;)
(y)

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
And they'll be better and bigger deals down the road, for when u are ready ;)
(y)
I suspect you are likely correct. They might not be better or bigger, just more timely would be a motivator. My battery is not needing replaced. It's four years old and has powered the bike for almost a thousand miles but still easily has a 50+ mile range between charges. I ride my bike in race mode which is the most power consuming mode. I don't use the throttle and mostly cadence assist so I'm a bit less battery consumer than the average rider. Fifty plus miles pretty much covers my normal riding so I'm not in need of a new battery.

This morning I rode a loop that I rode often thirty plus years ago when I was last active and on a conventional road bike. I must say that I'm amazed that back in the day it was a leisure ride that didn't seem demanding. Today, with assist, it was enjoyable but without the assist would have been taxing. It's a 30 mile loop and it took me 82 minutes to complete. There are substantial hills but no stops to speak of. It took me 82 minutes to ride the loop today traveling an average of 21.95mph. With the assist, the loop was enjoyable and very doable for a man in his seventies. Thank goodness for E-bikes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones