• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google drive settings

smasheroO16

Feb 12, 2017
I hope that this forum is the correct one to post about this. I use a Motorola smartphone, and have Google Drive installed on it. On my Mac computer (which is an old one), I used to have Google Drive installed, until about two years ago, when my Mac could not support or use the update, because the new version was too far ahead of the computer's capabilities. So, I was compelled to uninstall it from my computer.

However (as I found when I opened Google Drive on my phone), my files remain stored in Google Drive. One file in particular, I wanted to download, but could not do so. Nor could it be opened online, so as to read it. When I looked at the settings for Google Drive app. on my phone, I saw a section that was headed: Allowed > Files and Media. When I clicked on the latter, I saw that the phone has permissions for Media only, not for Files. There is nowhere on my phone, that I can see, that would allow me to give permission to download or open Files (stored in Google Drive).

Can someone tell me what to do to restore full use of Google Drive? It would be a tremendous asset

if I could use its full powers, but at the moment, it is a lame duck.

With thanks in hopeful anticipation,
S.
(Phone is a MotoG22)

When you open Google Drive on your phone, you should see a list of filenames. Next to those filenames are 3 dots. Click on the dots. Choose download.
That's all you need to do to get the file.
Thanks for that, Dannydet. I managed to download the file, after doing as you instructed. It was created on my computer using Apple Pages app. So, the phone cannot read it (it says, Unknown file). However, I am downloading a flle viewer for Android, which I hope will allow me to read what is in the file. Thanks again!
S.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones