• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How can I display values from Android Studio profiler/performance on my app?

wmw_hv

Lurker
Feb 6, 2023
I used the Android Studio profiler to check how the values of CPU, memory and energy change during the execution of an app I'm developing. I wonder if there is any way I could display these values, for instance, the energy consumed and CPU load on my APP?

This is some of the documentation I checked and it doesn't say anything about it.

If there is any other way to display performance values on the app without using the profiler, I could also use that!

To display values from Android Studio profiler or performance metrics in your app, you can use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) or logcat. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

1. Enable Profiling in Android Studio:Ensure that your app is running in debug mode in Android Studio. Open the Profiler tab and select the metrics you want to monitor, such as CPU, memory, network, or GPU usage. Start the profiler session.
  2. Connect Your Device:Make sure your Android device is connected to your computer via USB and has developer mode and USB debugging enabled. You can check this in the developer options on your device.
  3. Use ADB to Pull Data:Once you have your app running in Android Studio and the profiler is collecting data, you can use ADB to pull the data from your device. Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to your Android SDK platform-tools directory.
    • To pull CPU usage data, you can use the following ADB command:
      bashCopy code
      adb pull /data/misc/traces/cpu.trace
    • For memory data, use:
      bashCopy code
      adb pull /data/misc/traces/memory.trace
    • To retrieve network data:
      bashCopy code
      adb pull /data/misc/traces/network.txt
    • For GPU data (requires root access):
      bashCopy code
      adb pull /data/misc/perfetto-traces
  4. Parse and Display Data in Your App:Once you've pulled the data, you can parse it and display the relevant metrics within your app. You can use any suitable library or custom code to read the data files and present the information to the user.
  5. Regularly Update Metrics:To keep the information up to date, you can periodically refresh the data by repeating the ADB pull and parsing process.
Remember that certain data may require root access, such as GPU data. Also, be cautious with accessing performance data on a production app as it may impact the user experience.

By following these steps, you can display Android Studio profiler or performance metrics in your app for monitoring and debugging purposes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones