• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I update UK SYGIC maps

My sygic sat nav was/is supplied on micro sat nav which is compatible with my card device.
The UK maps are now out of date,is there any way I can update them via the sd care. Thanks.
"card device"? what is that? and your micro sat nav is a gps unit, correct? is that the "card device" that you speak of?

Upvote 0
"card device"? what is that? and your micro sat nav is a gps unit, correct? is that the "card device" that you speak of?
My poor description: In my car I have a multi media device, music, radio, engine diagnostics, DVD, CD, plus sat nav.
On the unit there is a dedicated GPS macro sd slot. When the correct card is inserted it states GPS card mounted.
My sygic navigation was/is supplied with unit on a sd macro card, works really well. However it is now badly out of date,I would like to update the sd card details but how????

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So you don't mind paying for their proprietary software if you can only download it to the card?

I don't know, but I expect they would have a download method via a PC, other device or wifi via your phone hotspot, unless your car (if it came embedded with this unit) had a data sim card that has now expired?

I doubt if there are any Android developers creating up to date maps to mimic proprietary software for TomTom or Sygic hardware.
They would have to charge similar or more, and be sued and banned for infringement.

I would also expect the costs would be unreasonably high for these official updates against a newer navigation device.

I'm curious what model and age of car it is. Renault? ( I'm also in the UK)

The methods were in the home page of the link Englishman @mikedt gave you, but I haven't investigated it on my phone (old eyes).

What was the method you were instructed on to update the card?

Upvote 0
Yeh the SD card versions of their navigation is harder to follow without understanding exactly which unit you have, how it's displayed (this can't be their Android Auto / Apple version as that just links to a phone), and if the information below works from your unit.

I think you're right that their help site is complicated, but you would definitely need to contact Sygic or the car dealer. Its not a Google Maps / Android Auto thing.

https://help.sygic.com/en/sygic-gps-navigation-for-android/tips-tricks/how-to-move-sygic-to-sd-card-android#:~:text=Via Settings in the Sygic,application to the SD card.

Upvote 0
Right, I will attempt to answer your many questions and hopefully put my plight into context, equally my eyes are not so young either, in fact last time I looked, I think the date stamp is 1940!!!As for my car which is also my baby and my old age toy, is a very resplendent 2002 Wedge wood blue Rover 75 connoisseur V6, with the well-loved 2.5 Lt petrol engine. Documented mileage of just 45670.Full service history.
Since owning it I have kept it up to date, and as it is in fact a BMW build, I fitted the plugnplay BMW E46 full media unit, which has two dedicated mini-sd slots one for media and the other for GPS (Sat Nav).
As for finding developers, suppliers, etc of mini sd sat nav cards, the web is full of them.Audiotechdirect.com, Senitech Satellite -Face Book, GPS Android sat nav. Satnavishop, and the most obvious one Ebay!
Most based on Sygic and Tom Tom systems. Incidentally all of these suppliers only deal with Android, which is why 2021/22updates are difficult.(Plus Although they supply sat nav systems via sd cards they do not issue updates!!) Cost of cards between £21 and £39.
My vehicle add on Android media unit BMW E46, came with IGO sat nav on a mini sd card,but I couldn't get on with it, so I obtained the free Sygic system (purchased the further options I required) and its worked well, but its now out of date
Now both Sygic and IGO put out free updates,
IGO is simple,you download the android update, insert your mini sd card into PC remove the out-of-date material from the card, and replace it with updated material. But with Sygic its different, they only download free updates to PC for phones, not ANDROID automotive devices. I have been on to Sygic who were really helpful, but do not issue updates for Android sd cards!
Equally link given by:
mikedt (from China bless him) would only update devices not sd cards. Also your link ,only explained how to transfer Sygic from internal storage to sd card,but no updates.
So it might be, I return to IGO, as it appears sd card updates for Sygic are not available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones