• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero: Tips, Tricks & Useful Apps [v1.6]

Totally new to Android (and smartphoning in general). Getting a new Hero (unlocked non-Sprint-type) in 5 days (living in Israel, family is bringing it from US). Even without having seen or touched the device itself, I can already see early signs of addiction (salivation, compulsive accessory-buying, and sacrificing desperately needed sleep to read just one more "Top Android Apps" list). Truth is,my first Android fantasy was to have someone to build me an app that would relentless prompt me in seductive ways TO GO TO BED!

Anyway, I'll have many q's, but for now just wanted to thank you for this great thread. -suchanicemonster

Upvote 0
I am still new to this forum, but I found an app that I think is great and I would like to spread the word about it. It has everything that I want all rolled up into one app. A battery meter, brightness control, ringer on/off toggle, volume control for everything separately (ie. media, notifications, alarms, ringers), bluetooth, Wi-fi & GPS toggle switches, screen timeout control, master volume control, airplane mode, auto-sync data, auto rotation control, unlock pattern control, even a flashlight. I was browsing apps and stumbled across it. I gave it a try and fell in love with it. It works great on my HTC Hero. I haven't had any forced closes. I don't know if this is going to work (like I said I am still new to this forum), but I am going to try and post the QR code here. If it doesn't work just search for the "quick settings" app - let me know if you like it as much as I do.
377876-1272358762933.png

Nice one, I'll give it a whirl now. :D

Upvote 0
Hi, I just had the same problem with mine...different number showing on Phone Number identity screen (and it prevented voicemail notifications from happening). It's been about a week since I ported, so I called Sprint tonight and they walked me through the manual setup on my phone again, and now it's showing my correct (ported) number, and my phone notifies me of new voicemails now. Good luck!

Did you port your number from another network? Mine is the same, it shows the temporary number I was given until my number was ported.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just had the same problem with mine...different number showing on Phone Number identity screen (and it prevented voicemail notifications from happening). It's been about a week since I ported, so I called Sprint tonight and they walked me through the manual setup on my phone again, and now it's showing my correct (ported) number, and my phone notifies me of new voicemails now. Good luck!

Any chance of sharing this setup procedure?

Upvote 0
John, I wish I could, but the Sprint support person had to walk me through it. From what I understand (and I'm by no means a phone expert), it's just manually programming your phone to your correct number. I remember I had to enter ## and a series of numbers, then my phone number. They will also have you enter an MSID number (or something like that). Sorry I can't remember the specifics, but Sprint should be able to walk you through the process in just a few minutes. Good luck!

Any chance of sharing this setup procedure?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to get more out of notifications? I know you can choose the sound, have the trackball glow etc, but isn't it possible to have the screen come on - even if just to lock screen for usual 20 seconds or whatever? If you're in a noisy place, you WON'T hear the sound and the trackball is easily missed. If the whole thing lit up though, that would be more noticeable...

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to get more out of notifications? I know you can choose the sound, have the trackball glow etc, but isn't it possible to have the screen come on - even if just to lock screen for usual 20 seconds or whatever? If you're in a noisy place, you WON'T hear the sound and the trackball is easily missed. If the whole thing lit up though, that would be more noticeable...

Thanks!

try the app 'Missed Reminder' it lets you edit lots of settings for notifications. It lets you set the led at the top of the hero to keep flashing, it lets you set the screen to turn on etc. for sms messages/gmails/missed calls etc.

Its very useful, check it out :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones