• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero: Tips, Tricks & Useful Apps [v1.6]

Nice one, I'll give it a whirl now. :D
What do you think of it ? I am still using it and I still love it. It is so easy to adjust my volume levels for notifications when I am going into places, or to turn the ringer off altogether. I also love having such convenient controls for my bluetooth and GPS's on/off. The battery meter seems to be fairly accurate too. The flashlight is nice too. I don't know if you feel the way I do, but I think this App is an undiscovered gem.

Upvote 0
I am still new to this forum, but I found an app that I think is great and I would like to spread the word about it. It has everything that I want all rolled up into one app. A battery meter, brightness control, ringer on/off toggle, volume control for everything separately (ie. media, notifications, alarms, ringers), bluetooth, Wi-fi & GPS toggle switches, screen timeout control, master volume control, airplane mode, auto-sync data, auto rotation control, unlock pattern control, even a flashlight. I was browsing apps and stumbled across it. I gave it a try and fell in love with it. It works great on my HTC Hero. I haven't had any forced closes. I don't know if this is going to work (like I said I am still new to this forum), but I am going to try and post the QR code here. If it doesn't work just search for the "quick settings" app - let me know if you like it as much as I do.
377876-1272358762933.png

I'll give some forum love for the above.

It does what it say on the tin..."quick settings". It's very easy on the eye and is graphically unfussy and intuitive to use. It's got a classy looking icon and a nice level of customisation. I also like the option of having a discrete black icon sitting on the status bar ready to use whenever you want.

Definitely worth a look if you're a habitual settings tinkerer like me.

Upvote 0
im new here and have a problem, i have the htc hero/ android
i am trying to find out how to add my ringers and videos

i tried the post where it mentioned Ringtones: /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones but when i go to the e drive where my android is and enter /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones it tells me it doesnt exist

what am i doing wrong

Upvote 0
Just read earlier posts and can see that I needed to create the sub folders for ringtomes, notifications and alarms (Doh!). I have done this and can now see my music track when I go to settings/sound and display/select notification sound. I can select it and the device even plays it when I do. But.... when I get a text received notification it still uses the old sound. I have turned the phone off and on again but still the same. Is there still something else I need to do? Bill.

Upvote 0
Hi, I am changing from Hero to Samsung Galaxy S2. Can anyone help me with how to get everything from my Hero transferred over without losing anything pls? I think stuff is saved to a mix of google/sim/phone. Also how to make sure Hero is 100% clean b4 I sell it.
(I have most stuff backed up via wave secure but got it free and guess I would have to pay to download it back to new phone)

Thanks

Upvote 0
I made the same switch recently. I saved everything from the Hero to my computer through a USB connection and used "M Backup Pro"first to save to the Hero's SD card.
If you have wifi at home there is a super app with the Samsung called Kies Air which allows you to log in through your browser to your phone's files. If you can save the Hero's files to your computer you can then drag them to the Samsung. I found this useful as my backed up apps only resulted in the paid for apps being restored to the Samsung. I dragged the other apps across to the Samsung and then loaded them via the file explorer on the phone. You can then update them through the market.

Reactions: Heroine
Upvote 0
I made the same switch recently. I saved everything from the Hero to my computer through a USB connection and used "M Backup Pro"first to save to the Hero's SD card.
If you have wifi at home there is a super app with the Samsung called Kies Air which allows you to log in through your browser to your phone's files. If you can save the Hero's files to your computer you can then drag them to the Samsung. I found this useful as my backed up apps only resulted in the paid for apps being restored to the Samsung. I dragged the other apps across to the Samsung and then loaded them via the file explorer on the phone. You can then update them through the market.

Thanks Bassmaster, sounds just perfect :) Hope to get SGS2 delivered on Monday so will try it out. Is Kies Air pre installed in the SGS2?

Btw, any idea how I can (easily) keep my number? My new deal is with current provider but thru a 3rd party. Apparently T-mobile can't port the number from existing contract to third party Tmobile contract. :mad:

Upvote 0
Kies Air comes preinstalled on the phone.
As to the number transfer, I would talk to the 3rd party provider. It seems strange that they haven't considered you would like to keep the number.
I transferred from Vodafone to O2. I went through Carphone Warehouse for the Hero and Vodafone never supplied that model so I could never get support from them. I went direct to O2 when I changed and it went smoothly with both companies being very helpful.
I'm sorry if that's not very helpful to you in your situation.

Just a thought, but if you're wanting to keep both phones with 2 contracts, that may cause a problem. Otherwise I can't see why it would be a problem for T Mobile.

Upvote 0
Kies Air comes preinstalled on the phone.
As to the number transfer, I would talk to the 3rd party provider. It seems strange that they haven't considered you would like to keep the number.
I transferred from Vodafone to O2. I went through Carphone Warehouse for the Hero and Vodafone never supplied that model so I could never get support from them. I went direct to O2 when I changed and it went smoothly with both companies being very helpful.
I'm sorry if that's not very helpful to you in your situation.

Just a thought, but if you're wanting to keep both phones with 2 contracts, that may cause a problem. Otherwise I can't see why it would be a problem for T Mobile.

Hi Bassmaster, research suggests all the operators are the same re porting your number via 3rd party. No prob of course if u do an upgrade from current contract. Anyway, simplest solution seems to be to get a cheap PAYG and port onto that then port back to Tmobile a cpl days later.
Much as I loved my Hero...it's well outdated now so really looking forward to the S2...just gotta find the best S2 forum for UK users.
Thanks again for your help. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones