• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If I deactivate my google account will my apps disappear?

I'm going to be traveling with a couple of old "throw away" phones, to a place where there are supposed to be pickpockets and phone thieves. (One for me and one for the wife)

All I want to use is the off-line translator app and WiFi in a hotel or hot spot or perhaps the camera.

So here comes the newbie queston

If I deactivate my google account, will the downloaded apps stay on the phone and be usable?

I guess I could just try it, but one of the downloads takes a loooooooong time to d/l and install.

The reason why I ask is if the phone gets stolen, I really don't want them to get to my gmail account or app store.

I could password protect the phone, but that would delay using it as a translator or camera.

When I get home I could re-activate the account so the apps could update themselves.

Thanks,
Bob

It's not my real phone, it's an oldie that no longer makes calls. But if I keep the google account active, they can get to the play store and my gmail account.

This concerns me.

I'm looking for a way to use the apps without having to open the phone with a password and still have my accounts protected.

Perhaps there isn't a way :(

Notes

Upvote 0
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
It's like a lockscreen with a mini-launcher. You define what apps it should offer, then when you wake your phone there is a target. You drag the target towards your app icons and drop it on the app you want, or you drop it on unlock and the phone unlocks. If you've defined a pattern/pin/password lock then after dragging the target to unlock you uncover the stock lock screen.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I think solved my own problem, and it was duh simple.

In a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) all I need to do is to change my gmail password right before I go. Then if I'm careless and the phone gets lost or stolen, the new 'owner' can't get to the market or the gmail account.

I tried this at home and all the off-line apps still worked and I got on-line with WiFi. This is all I want the old decommissioned phones to do. After all, I'm going to a place where a US phone won't work anyway.

As far as the mail is concerned, I could see g-mail titles that were still stored on the phone, but couldn't open them. (I'll offload and delete anything that the subject might reveal anything sensitive - or perhaps offload them all). Couldn't send anything either.

A nice, long password with letters, numbers and symbols should be not worth anyone's time to crack. I read somewhere that 20 mixed characters will take the most powerful computers a looooooooooooooooooooong time to crack - making it for all practical purposes impossible (at least to get to my gmail account - which isn't my primary e-mail anyway - I have my own domain name and web host)

Keep in mind, the two phones we are bringing on vacation aren't really phones. They are not connected to any service - decommissioned. They will work as WiFi web browsers (mail2web.com is a decent browser based mail service) and for me, most importantly, the off-line dictionary and translator app.

I can't see a flaw in this, if I'm missing something, please let me know.

Notes

Upvote 0
You might consider a little bit different password strategy, which may be even more secure than 20 random impossible to remember characters:
xkcd: Password Strength

Thanks.

I have an easy (for me) system (which of course I will not divulge) for remembering a string of seemingly random characters - none of which spell an actual word - but this looks even easier.

I don't understand how the bits of entropy are calculated, but that is something that all of a sudden I'm curious about (hello google).

Bob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones