• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"life expenciy" or however you spell expencentiy..

So on my moto edge I had "For a few years" throughout time and space,with my old Moto z2 still kicking into gear, I am wondering how many years, months, days before running into serious troubles with the Moto edge plus,I have now.. before going to get a new cell?
well i think the average for phone batteries is about 3-4 years. i judge a phone's longevity by how long the battery will last. at the end of 3-4 years, you should start to see significant drop in battery life.

as far as software support i think 3 significant updates should be what most devices get. and then probably a few more security updates after that. i have only owned a phone for about2-3 years before i upgrade.

and it is life expectancy i think is the term you are looking for......yes?

Upvote 0
well i think the average for phone batteries is about 3-4 years. i judge a phone's longevity by how long the battery will last. at the end of 3-4 years, you should start to see significant drop in battery life.

as far as software support i think 3 significant updates should be what most devices get. and then probably a few more security updates after that. i have only owned a phone for about2-3 years before i upgrade.

and it is life expectancy i think is the term you are looking for......yes?
Lets see today I had to charge it a few times today... From my normal percentage to fully charge.. That could be a sign though, I will check if amazon has the same cell in stock.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

well that phone came out in 2020 so it is already at the 3 year mark.....plus it is refurbished.

i believe this one either came out in either 2021 or 2022 which is much better as far as longevity goes.

i never trust refurbished phones. i have been burned in the past with them. back in the day with Best Buy insurance (Geek Squad protection), instead of fixing it, they would just send you a refurbished phone. those kept breaking on me. i would stay away from them......but that is just me and my experience.

Upvote 0
".....I never trust refurbished phones....." Ditto. I buy refurbished laptops with no OS from NewEgg and load Linux on them. I always find some quirt each one has. The one I'm using now has a crappy keyboard.
Ah okay.. I do not buy anything refrubished either.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As far as life expectancy goes, I try to buy things for life. Although examples such as futurists running the carriers forcing me off my favorite phones just because they used 3G and not LTE seems to ruin that idea.

Still, I buy a device with the intention of using it until 1) it gets busted or stolen or 2) it stops serving my needs which is what would make something functionally obsolete or 3) I'm forced to give it up (such as during the 3G shutdown).

I don't have this issue with something being old like some younger people do. If someone wants to use their 20 year old Windows XP computer, I have no issue. Some people cringe at the idea of people never giving up something old but I never understood how it affects those people. Let people use what they like! A phone isn't a fashion accessory.

Although I'm using a Galaxy A03s right now (pretty bottom of barrel phone) I still take care of the thing and hope it lasts either until I'm dead, or LTE dies, or stops working enough that it's functionally useless.

Kinda saddened at the negative reactions over refurbished or secondhand though. I mean, if it helps avoid e-waste that makes it better for the planet than mining limited resources to make yet another phone, so in my view, refurbished or used is better since it saves something from landfill, saves resources, and is often cheaper. A win win win. Currently, there's enough used tech, furniture, etc to serve the needs of three generations of people. Nobody actually has to buy new anymore. It's wasteful, expensive, and hard on the planet.

Upvote 0
So on my moto edge I had "For a few years" throughout time and space,with my old Moto z2 still kicking into gear, I am wondering how many years, months, days before running into serious troubles with the Moto edge plus,I have now.. before going to get a new cell?
Why are you asking? Are you worried about your phone failing you, and being without a phone untill you can get a replacment? Or is your concern something else?

Upvote 0
Why are you asking? Are you worried about your phone failing you, and being without a phone untill you can get a replacment? Or is your concern something else?
Title, I wonder how long it will last before getting a replacement... Really nothing is wrong with it over all throughout the usage of today.

Upvote 0
Sometimes when charging it a few times in a day,it does get warm, I should not ever charge it above 77% I sometimes let it drop to 72%.

I don't know who taught you your battery rules, but here is what I have done for the past 20 years. I plug my phone in at night and I unplug it in the morning. Never have I thought about 77% or 72% or any other percent.

Reactions: Hadron and olbriar
Upvote 0
I don't know who taught you your battery rules, but here is what I have done for the past 20 years. I plug my phone in at night and I unplug it in the morning. Never have I thought about 77% or 72% or any other percent.
No one does it. I just accidently found it, besides I just do not want to have my cell drop to a point of where I am not able to plug it in, reguardless, I did post on here about battery level some time ago.. I just do not see that point of where it will ever drop down so much, when I do check my email and write on it mostly, zapps the battery down. I just am afraid of where that annoying point of saying "OOPs my battery died."

Upvote 0
Again if I had it fully charge from top of the day, it will go through around 78% before bed time, after some streaming of youtube and also videos sometimes, and it will linger on there until I plug it at night sometimes, or wait until the morning, but like today:

I had it charge around eighty percent,
ergo I looked at it and played with it oh for a few hours or so, and jumped down, and I let it go down to mid 60s, so.. I also tested out my moto z force, idle without checking my emails et all, it went from one percent to around 55% without touching it except for checking the time.
And went from fully charge to around oh 66 percent in a heartbeat or two..

hmmm...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones