• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"life expenciy" or however you spell expencentiy..

Why are you asking? Are you worried about your phone failing you, and being without a phone untill you can get a replacment? Or is your concern something else?
Not horribly that though, the battery seem to charge faster after getting an amazing charger off instantgram that has magentic heads that you can swamp out and use for everything.

Upvote 0
well i think the average for phone batteries is about 3-4 years. i judge a phone's longevity by how long the battery will last. at the end of 3-4 years, you should start to see significant drop in battery life.

as far as software support i think 3 significant updates should be what most devices get. and then probably a few more security updates after that. i have only owned a phone for about2-3 years before i upgrade.

and it is life expectancy i think is the term you are looking for......yes?
I've typically found phone batteries last 4-5 years. Though maybe the battery management features with newer models help: I don't entirely trust battery health monitoring apps, but the same apps that showed a measurable decline in my Pixel 2's battery by this point (almost 2 years old) are showing essentially nothing for my s21. I do have all fast charging turned off and the charging set to stop at 85%, and have done so since I got the phone (I've maybe turned fast charging on on 5 specific occasions, but always turn it off after use - it's certainly not needed most of the time, so why add thermal stress?).

Software updates vary immensely between manufacturers and devices. I'm not up to date with what Moto do currently, but this always used to be a weak point of theirs.

Upvote 0
Back when I was into Apple, I had iPhones that could last a decade. I still got a 2010 iPhone 4 lying around somewhere that still holds a charge and can act as an iPod. Original battery and all.

My Samsung tablets (the oldest are from 2012) still work, the Note 10.1 gets 4-6 hours video playback on YouTube, the Tab 2 10.1 can go 6-8 hours audio playback (podcasts) and the Tab 2 7.0 can go 8 hours of ebook reading. That's pretty darned good for a non-removable battery.

I think a decade is an easily achievable lifespan.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Back when I was into Apple, I had iPhones that could last a decade. I still got a 2010 iPhone 4 lying around somewhere that still holds a charge and can act as an iPod. Original battery and all.

My Samsung tablets (the oldest are from 2012) still work, the Note 10.1 gets 4-6 hours video playback on YouTube, the Tab 2 10.1 can go 6-8 hours audio playback (podcasts) and the Tab 2 7.0 can go 8 hours of ebook reading. That's pretty darned good for a non-removable battery.

I think a decade is an easily achievable lifespan.
Without the battery going kaboom??

Upvote 0
I've typically found phone batteries last 4-5 years. Though maybe the battery management features with newer models help: I don't entirely trust battery health monitoring apps, but the same apps that showed a measurable decline in my Pixel 2's battery by this point (almost 2 years old) are showing essentially nothing for my s21. I do have all fast charging turned off and the charging set to stop at 85%, and have done so since I got the phone (I've maybe turned fast charging on on 5 specific occasions, but always turn it off after use - it's certainly not needed most of the time, so why add thermal stress?).

Software updates vary immensely between manufacturers and devices. I'm not up to date with what Moto do currently, but this always used to be a weak point of theirs.
Me either, thanks for the heads up Hadron.

Upvote 0
Battery going kaboom can happen no matter the age. just ask any Note 7 owner.

Leaving a phone on a car dash in 90 degree summer heat, leaving it plugged in 24/7 in hotspot mode, abuse/dropping it, that had NOTHING to do with it!
Yeah.. Car dashes are really hard to ignore though.

Upvote 0
I was being sarcastic. A good portions of the Note 7 fires involved the usual abuse, leaving it on a hot car dash being one such example. i think one of the reports involved just that. i think the entire Note 7 issue was entirely overblown and Samsung reducing them all to e-waste via software update was both unethical and set a dangerous precedent. Imagine, if your phone is 'too old' according to them, they can now just remote-disable it the same way.

Upvote 0
I was being sarcastic. A good portions of the Note 7 fires involved the usual abuse, leaving it on a hot car dash being one such example. i think one of the reports involved just that. i think the entire Note 7 issue was entirely overblown and Samsung reducing them all to e-waste via software update was both unethical and set a dangerous precedent. Imagine, if your phone is 'too old' according to them, they can now just remote-disable it the same way.
Not remotely the same thing though. Look at it from their point of view (because that is what they will have done):

* Old phone: it costs them nothing for someone to keep using it, apart from the loss of one sale which they probably won't get anyway if they shut it down. Eventually the phone will fail or will be incompatible with newer apps so people will change it - the number of people who want to use android 2.3 and just the apps they had in 2011 is negligible, and hence of no commercial significance.

* Note 7: sure, most of them may not have had the fault, but there was a design fault that caused some of them to ignite and so they could be liable for the consequences. That poses a significant commercial risk (imagine a house fire starting in the night and someone dying), and an even bigger reputational risk (especially if there was a really bad incident). So putting an end to the Note 7 was a commercial decision, but actually since I regard a single human life as worth more than any amount of inconvenience (or the survival of any company) I have no ethical problem with it: there was a risk from their product and they ended it.

Upvote 0
well, many times you hear 'safety and security' as defenses to force people off of 'obsolete' hardware and you can bet if Microsoft or Samsung or Apple could do it, they would. part of 'software as a service' in fact.

If only the Note 7 had a removable battery the issue would have been moot without creating tons of e-waste instead. In fact, this should have been the very incident to bring that feature back and dispell all the negatives of having a removablle battery for good. but nope. I still believe people have the right to take risks if they feel they can accept the consequences. You have more deaths skydiving or climbing Mt. Everest yet nobody 'recalls' those actions. Let the few who liked the Note 7 and accepted the risks to keep using it. Gosh. we have enough e-waste as it is and I care far more about an habitable planet and all the life both human and non-human on it than a single human life itself. I also am aware life is full of risks and trying to make everything 'safe' takes the whole fun and joy of living out of the equation into something far more dystopian in the long term.

Upvote 0
The trouble is that that assumes that the people who wanted to take the risk of using a Note 7 wouldn't turn round and sue Samsung if it went wrong for them - and frankly I wouldn't bet 10 cents on that. And of course it also assumes that it would only be them who suffered any consequences: there are many things that would be absolutely fine if only the person making that choice would suffer the consequences, but that only happens in some theoretical fantasy world, and sadly we don't live in one of those.

It takes very little imagination to see what would happen to Samsung's phone business if some 17 year old decided "they would take the risk" and was killed(*) in a house fire: parents sue for astronomical sums (I'm assuming this person is American ;)), citing the fact that Samsung knew there was a risk and allowed it to happen, and however the case goes the publicity essentially kills their phone business. Even if that's a remote chance, it would be absurd to expect Samsung execs to take that risk.

(*) For the sake of argument: I doubt the consequences would have to be anything like that severe for most of this to happen, but a death would make it certain.

Upvote 0
one of the few Note 7 fires involved the total loss of a Jeep some nimrod had placed his phone onto the dash of in the summer, with all the windows up. Anyone with any ounce of intelligence could see that as a blatantly stupid thing to do. I will easily bank on that being the majority of Note 7 fires, not an actual design flaw.

Does anyone sue successfully the manufacturer of an electrical outlet because Little Johnny fried himself by sticking a fork into it? nope. It's not something the company has any control over. There used to be an adage in many stores: "we assume no liability over what happens with this item'' to cover their ass in case someone even tried such a ridiculous lawsuit.

I'm also no fan of McDonald's being vegan and all and anti-corporation, but I think they were not in the wrong involving the coffee incident. I'd even believe that if that stupid idiot who spilled hot coffee by placing it between her legs knowing coffee is hot, tried to sue on Judge Judy or even the People's Court, it would not even be worthy of their time or effort, as in that case it was her own damned fault.

It's no the maker of the chainsaw's fault if you're too stupid to know which end to hold when it's running, yet here we are with labels warning 'not to hold wrong end of chainsaw'. I mean if the company rep came to you in person and stuck a gun to your head and told you to grab the spinning blade sure. but you can't honestly believe anyone can blame a company who's not involved because someone did a stupid thing.

I burned myself on the hot stove iron as a kid. It hurt, but I learned from it. that's how we evolve and learn. Not by constantly attempting to safeguard people from themselves. All you'll end up with is 1984 with Big Brother watching and regulating your life for you, with you just being a mere consumer of resources unable to work on anything themselves or mowing their own lawn or even driving their own car. Oh my God we are already there. the question is why we allow it to continue?

the precedent has been set though, with samsung now having the ability to force a software update down your throat that can turn your phone into a paperweight. They will no doubt use it again one day, just you see. When I say 'hey I told you all this years ago' people will still label me a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know that feeling though, most of my older wall chargers tendency to warm up my power cord no matter what to the USB. I should look at a coolant agent and see what the net has to offer me though. I know I have been burned my tounge on coffee a few times before, but I put ice inside the coffee to make it cool.

Upvote 0
I wonder why nobody tried to sue Pizza Hut for burning the roof of their mouth when biting into a freshly baked pizza and encountering the hot lava that passes for sauce?

BTW the reason McDonald's had their coffee so hot before the 'incident' was because some folks drive to work, and pick up a fresh McCafe on the way, and expect it to be hot enough once they get there. Because save for some new-age funkies at Starbucks, nobody likes cold coffee any more than warm beer. But now? We have to have lukewarm coffee at work because someone old enough to have known better being 81 and all spilled coffee on herself and somehow successfully sued McDonald's over it. Tort law...it needs repealing. Let people find out the hard way and let the stupid people's problems resolve themselves through Darwinism aka Natural Selection. I have zero sympathy for anyone who cuts their balls off for stopping a chainsaw with their genitals and yes there is a warning for that, too.

Oh who am I kidding? We already got so many folks who can't even look both ways before crossing the street today. I mean I find myself slamming on the brakes and beeping my horn because someone just walks out in traffic and then they counter with 'HEY WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING' with me shouting back 'THE CEMETERY IS FULL OF FOLKS WHO THOUGHT THEY HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
one of the few Note 7 fires involved the total loss of a Jeep some nimrod had placed his phone onto the dash of in the summer, with all the windows up. Anyone with any ounce of intelligence could see that as a blatantly stupid thing to do. I will easily bank on that being the majority of Note 7 fires, not an actual design flaw.
Well Samsung did admit there was a flaw. And how many other phones ignite when left on a dashboard? Of course I'm British, with our climate that's one thing we don't have to worry about (yet...). ;)
Because save for some new-age funkies at Starbucks, nobody likes cold coffee any more than warm beer.
You don't like warm beer? You wouldn't like it over this side of the Pond :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones