• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location not showing GPS

Do you want it to show on a map or just want the GPS coordinate? And what format do you want the GPS coordinate in (degree/min/second, decimal degrees, or something else - there are many location formats to choose between)?

Most GPS test apps (GPS Status, GPS Test) can provide your current coordinate in a number of formats. If you want it on a map, OSMAnd can provide the coordinate in a number of formats: just tap the location and select "details" (it will show decimal degrees by default, but you can expand to show other coordinates). Maps.ME does similar but only offers decimal degrees that I can see. Google's Maps is typically Google, few options and more-and-more oriented towards selling you stuff, so only offers "plus codes" (numerical shortcuts plus city name), which are a Google invention, rather than a more generally-used coordinate.

Upvote 0
I want the info to be embedded into the photo, so that it can be used by a real GPS device.

An address cannot be an accurate representation of location. The world is mostly not on roads. I can be at my address and move about my property and have many different accurate GPS locations but only one address.

I have a Montana 700i. I can move photos from my phone to my GPS and convert them to waypoints and include them as part of routes. I'd like the photos to contain as accurate of a GPS location as possible. Maybe phones can't do that. That would be one reason I prefer real GPS to phone apps.

What i really need is a camera app that can also record GPS data embedded vs. Imprinted on photo AND the ability for the app to save that photo to any location on the phone.

My GPS can be cable connected to my phone. And I can use "MyFiles" to transfer images to the GPS, which is seen as a storage location. I'd like that to be transparent (i.e. Take photo and have it saved to GPS automagically). I might be forced to write my own app to do that But I'd prefer to just find an app that does it already.

Upvote 0
That doesn't do what I need. That is a time stamp on photo. I need GPS location embedded in file. My GPS uses location info to place image on map where it was taken.

Also the folder saved in can't be any external storage, like my GPS. MyFiles can move the images so I know it's possible.

I did find an app that has embedded GPS but it can only save to a folder on internal drive. Still useful.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones