• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New activation, data works but not voice

qu4ttro

Mar 19, 2012
Jacksonville FL
Has anyone else encountered an issue on Ting where the phone activates, registers with the network, and mobile data works, but voice does not (neither incoming nor outgoing?)

I BYOD'd a Motorola Photon Q from Sprint. Started with a clean, factory ROM. Went through the steps on Ting's site after activating (software update, profile update, PRL update.) The phone registers with the network, shows the correct phone number in the 'About Phone' page under settings, and data works beautifully (1x/3G/LTE.) When I try to place a call, it just sticks on the "Dialing..." screen and the earpiece is silent. If I try to call from another phone it goes straight to voicemail.

I have noticed that under 'About Phone' it says "Unknown" for the carrier when it is connected to the network. I have tried all of the settings for network options (Sprint only, CDMA/4G, CDMA, and Auto.) All roaming is disabled, though I have tried enabling Domestic Voice Roaming. I have also tried to make/receive calls in multiple areas to eliminate the possibility of it being a problem with the tower. At Ting's suggestion, I have tried manually programming the MDN and MSID, and a factory reset after that did not work. I am trying to find an earlier stock ROM to roll back to (I am on the new Jelly Bean update,) but I'm not hopeful about that working. Ting's site is correctly reporting my data usage, so it should be properly activated. I have double checked my settings on their site to be sure that incoming and outgoing calls are enabled.

Any suggestions? :D

Yeah, I just didn't want to wait through the weekend (today is the last day of service on my old phone.) I did have to call them to cancel a port request (long story, but it was my old carrier's fault) and they were very helpful. Picked up on the third ring and went straight to a native English speaking human, no automated menus or hoops to jump through. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Glad to hear you got it working. I know i had an issue where I couldn't get an old sprint phone to register properly. After sometime on the phone and multiple "Network" resets on the phone we ended up removing the phone from my account and I went an re-activated it and all was well.

Hope Ting saves you money!

Willis

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones