• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

Ordered a 500GB SSD to replace the slow spinny drive in my gaming/vmlab laptop. $120 on Amazon today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RQA6M5Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fun fact: Crucial SSDs are apparently incompatible with my Alienware 13. It's a SATA drive going into a SATA port, but the BIOS just pretends it's not there at all. I don't get it, but whatever.

Sending this one back to Amazon, and ordering a Dell-branded SSD direct from Dell for $10 more so I don't have to worry about stupid Dell incompatibilities. In theory...

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Fun fact: Crucial SSDs are apparently incompatible with my Alienware 13. It's a SATA drive going into a SATA port, but the BIOS just pretends it's not there at all. I don't get it, but whatever.

Sending this one back to Amazon, and ordering a Dell-branded SSD direct from Dell for $10 more so I don't have to worry about stupid Dell incompatibilities. In theory...

Very unusual. You wouldn't expect incompatibilities like this would you? I just got a 500GB Crucial myself, and it's recognised no problem by my Dell Vostro laptop, which is pretty old. Is your BIOS out of date?

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I am so tempted to hit up that crossbow deal, but I'd end up shooting myself in the foot.

Probably because my most recent purchase was ...

A1V%2BKtl8bmL._SL1500_.jpg

Upvote 0
Very unusual. You wouldn't expect incompatibilities like this would you? I just got a 500GB Crucial myself, and it's recognised no problem by my Dell Vostro laptop, which is pretty old. Is your BIOS out of date?
BIOS, chipset, and SSD firmwares all up to date.

amcJuPk.png

The AW13 uses a single connector on the motherboard for both SATA and M.2 drive connections, with a proprietary cable rather than a standard SATA adapter. The working theory is that the weird proprietary SATA adapter is therefore incompatible with Crucial SSD because reasons. o_O

For added fun, the shipping confirmation I got from Dell for the SSD I ordered indicates that it's actually a hybrid drive rather than a straight SSD - kind of shady for it to show up under the "SSD" category of their Parts & Upgrades store. So I'll be sending that back as soon as it arrives.

This game is stupid.

Upvote 0
I think I found an SSD that should work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE

Anyhoo, ordered. Hopefully this goes a bit smoother than the last....

I put one of those in my desktop earlier this year. Not only is it considerably faster on boots and loads, it's eerily quiet. The only moving part left in that thing is the fan, which is a super quiet Cool Master thingy.

And, Samsung ships with a copy of Acronis that will clone your existing drive for you. :D

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Oh come on folks, It's a 6" chef knife from Zwilling (Not a big fan of Wüsthof knives)

It's not like I'm going to be swinging through the jungle in a loin cloth with a knife in my teeth. Besides, the police said I'm not allowed to do that anymore. :p
OK, as long as you promise not to... Unless you look like Henry Cavill; if that's the case, I'll need photo proof of loin cloth & swinging. Can I get a high five??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones