• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preparations for exciting major changes underway!

Phases

NO LONGER ADMIN
Sep 9, 2008
Nashville, TN
I'm reluctant to go into too many details, but we have some major, exciting changes coming in the not so distant future. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but in the end what’s on the horizon is a major improvement and we think much better than what all of our competitors have to offer. We are hoping everyone loves it :)

Admittedly, we have a few hurdles to sort before we go live. More details to come, so stay tuned!

I know some of you may be opposed to this initial announcement, but please rest assured that there is a larger vision here: please let things play out in their entirety before causing a big stink. There will be a time and place for feedback, but hopefully in the end you'll love how the pieces of the puzzle come together (we believe you will).

Monday, Dec 19, we are going to abolish ALL device Root subforums. Threads in these forums will be prefix'd with "Root" and moved to the parent device forum.

This, as mentioned, is part of our preparation for things to come. We'll be sure to pass along any necessary upcoming changes as they’re ready.

Thanks for your help and attention. We hope you're looking forward to a brand new look and feel as much as us!

I'm SOOOO excited for these changes!

Everything is going to look better. Everything is going to work better. All the things are going to everything all over the everything!

Seriously, though, we've been hard at work on these improvements for a LONG time. Please grant us your patience and the opportunity to show you it'll all be worth it. Your feedback will, at the right time, be invaluable. But for now... we slowly prepare for a big shift.

Upvote 0
My forum went through some huge changes a couple years back.
Yes, we lost a lot of folks who are strictly resistant to ANY change, no matter what it might be.

One of the things I have done is to totally refuse to allow Sub-Forums.... they are a PITA to try and manage. We have a basic number of forums that cover all the bases, and lumps every model of Goldwing motorcycle into 'technical',
'general', 'miscellaneous'.... and For Sale

beyond that, no sub-forums....
it took a while, but the membership is much happier now.
it runs fast, and it is clean of garbage.

From what I am reading here, it sounds like you are making a very good decision to do that.
I have always thought that this forums' overall structure is way too complicated...

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Like Rob said there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle and we've been working hard on it for a long time - and those pieces will have to be put into place in chunks so.. bear with us once we start. :)

I can't wait, seriously. It is the makeover in look and functionality that this site needs. It'll be a bit of a give and take but, this is going to be great. I also have a sneaking suspicion speed and stability will increase which is always good.

When the time is right we're going to ask for feedback on both what's been put into place and what's about to be - to help mold the end result. There are a lot of unknowns that are hard to plan until we see things in action, in production so, I guess what I'm saying is not everything is set into stone, and our community can help us polish things off.

Stay tuned! We don't have a timeline but, it's soon. At least for us - all things considered, it's got to a point where 'soon' feels like the correct phrase. :D

Upvote 0
1339311910409_4721388.png

Upvote 0
Hmm... forgive me for my extreme stupidity... but... I don't see any changes? :D

Root subforums were removed and all root threads were moved to their parent forums. Check out a phone/tablet forum to see what went on.

Kind of a big deal, but just a "minor" change compared with what's to coming by the sounds of things. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones