• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting up email

joannelj

Lurker
Jul 8, 2014
My boss got a g'zone commando several months ago, and he handed it to me a few minutes ago to set up the email. I'm an iphone user, so my first thing is always to google the info. And I found a verizon post about mobile email app on older phones being discontinued. (this is my first post, so I can't include the link, but I will shortly.)

According to this, the email app has been discontinued, and the only way he can check his email is through the browser (He doesn't have gmail) or by finding a different app.

I kept looking for more info, and can't find any other mention of this anywhere. So... is it accurate? Any suggestions, or advice?

I'm not sure about the google play apps - I'm looking on the phone, but don't see anything like that.

Thank you!

I actually liked that app. It used very little resource.
They suck. Also the browser sucks (I use Opera Mini) so this doesn't sound like fun, lastly I'm on strait talk. I don't think Verizon is gonna' show me any love.
Is there an apk for this replacement?

you mean a different browser to use then the stock browser and the Opera series browsers?

FireFox comes to mind, but i don't know if it's compatible with Gingerbread.
How about dolphin browser? Is that still a thing?
I also have an old version of the chrome browser that you could try. It works on gingerbread, surprisingly.

Upvote 0
It's frustrating, the verizon 1.0 email app was really small (saving IM) and although not pretty (what is on this phone?:) it worked with all platforms. Now I have both gmail and an Outlook app (older version). Although good apps and more secure than 3rd party, that's a total of almost 25 mb! If the old app still worked I wouldn't need these. The retired app was under 2 mb. And get this, while I was checking the old app, it turned itself on and I had to clear the data. So not only do they "retire" an appropriate, functional app for this phone; when they disable it they don't remove it and us non-rooted folks are stuck with it. Same goes for that piece of crap browser. Ok, if you're gonna' stick us with bloat at least support it! Retire Social beat, Skype, Talk or Shity... I mean City ID. Jeepers creepers!!!
Every time I go to the play store the good all in one email clients aren't compatible the phone, and the ones that are are problematic and most aren't totaly free since they run adds. And if an app sucks in trial mode why would I buy the pro version???
As a strait talk customer I'm not privy to any upgrade although the Verizon "retirement" page it seems like a bunch of double talk.
Also, looked real hard for AOSP email app for 2.3.3 could only find 2.3.4, would go through the load process but not install:( I'm hesitant to try it with de-bugging, I don't feel like a factory re-set. I don't think it was the version of the app but rather Google tweaks to not allow it to work? Just suspicious of big brother.
Browsers, very personal choice. No non rooted gz is going to be a fun internet experience, but after trying them all I l like Opera - Mini the best... and it loads on the SD card.
I'm betting Wilster's experience is much different with Root and his Custom Rom.
Wilster, I can't do it man. Just tell me how to expand memory to my SD card w/out Root using mini-partion or some other tool. Expanding memory, especially for non-root would make life a heck of a lot easier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones