• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sims cards..

So my phone, moto edge plus did come with a new sims card, the very first thing, it tells me to do is,
remove the new sims card and put in your old one. So When my Moto Edge Plus updated a few days ago, it tells me to "Insert new sims card to activate it." Warning sign "your sims card cannot be acitvated please call."
Still the sims card only a few years old.
I do not want to lose this number or even my information build within the sims card, and I do not want to get a newer one either, because then endless loop...

What information do you store in a SIM card? I've not stored anything in mine for about 8 years - SIM storage for contacts is very limited (and limiting: a SIM contact is 1 name + 1 number, nothing richer) and likewise for SMS, so it's better to just store on the phone and keep backups. And SIMs do fail: I had 2 SIM failures in the last 10 years, one of which was only about 2 years old (ironically I'd had zero failures in the previous 2 decades - I don't know whether newer SIMs are more failure prone).

On the "activation" thing, I'm a bit puzzled. If your old SIM is working why is the phone telling you to put a new one in? How does the phone even know that a new SIM exists? So what is actually telling you to do this? It presumably must be a message from your service provider (SMS/email). Did you buy this phone as an upgrade or on a new contract? It's not unknown for upgrade phones to come with a new SIM anyway, and the provider expects to activate that and transfer your number to the new SIM. I don't know how your carrier works, but that's what this sounds like to me, in which case that's what they expect regardless of the age of the old SIM. I'd suggest talking to them to clarify, but I'd also suggest backing up or transferring any contacts or other data on the old SIM, because chances are you are going to have to change SIM (and they are a poor place to store information these days).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I have nothing on the sims card either, all my contacts are back up on my cloud, a few mutual friends of mine, no more, no less. I keep forgetting to text and call one of my mutual friends, but my brother in law has him over a few nights for gaming evening. I had an incident with a sims card a few years ago, when I had my samsung Galaxy s3, that has been ages ago, but no accidents with my moto phones.

Carrier's verizon, they are okayish people I am also a bit puzzled why would it needed a new sims card, I pulled it out a few times. - So all my contacts where carried via cloud when, I purchased my droid edge plus.

Upvote 0
Well Verizon are historically CDMA (which only exists in a few parts of the world) and so outside my experience. It might well just be that their procedure is that a new phone comes with a new SIM - I've known GSM carriers do that, even though portability of the SIM is one of the basic concepts of GSM, while CDMA didn't use SIMs at all so this concept is newer to Verizon than to most. There may be no technical reason at all, but it could just be the way their systems are set up. If in doubt I would contact them and ask - that might be better than ignoring it and hoping they don't cancel your old SIM (shouldn't happen until the new one is registered, but as I say I've no experience of VZW's procedures).

Upvote 0
CDMA is a legacy now, no current carrier relies upon it any longer. Verizon stopped CDMA support many years ago, Sprint was the last hold-out but even it moved on to LTE/4G several years ago (and now Sprint is just a part of T-Mobile's cellular network).
But getting back to your SIM card switching, keep in mind a SIM card is tied to a carrier. A SIM card contains your account info with your chosen carrier service. It's not intended to be a storage media. That would involve a microSD card instead. So a SIM card is for authenticating your cellular service, a microSD card is for file storage.
So the old SIM card will have your account info (involving your name and old phone number) and the new SIM card will have your current account info. It sounds like you switched carriers, but did not go through the process of having your old phone number transferred to your new account with a different carrier. If the old SIM card no longer works, that indicates your old account with that carrier has been cancelled.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
So I should not take out my old Sims card, even though it is roughly around a few years left alone, and just have some of the main contacts over, within that mind, No I did not switch any carrier what so ever, I am a bit confused why would my edge suddenly decided to make a huge bit of saying "Sorry this is only for the new phone, please do remove the new sims card and put in your old card."

After my update, I recently had, it suggested to have it back to the new sims card, that I cannot activate, which I find really strange.

Upvote 0
Since you're staying with the same carrier, did they actually instruct you to use the new SIM card instead of the SIM card you already had, or did you just take the initiative to use the new SIM card?
This sounds like you should just take your phone, and your old and new SIM cards, to one of your carrier's service centers and have them straighten things out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones